PG Music Home
Posted By: Sundance Is my Emu 0404 USB dying? - 12/20/19 02:50 PM
My old faithful 11 yr old Emu 0404 USB is making a strange clicking noise when I turn it on from a cold start. I turn on the computer, the monitor and the EMU or vice versa - either way it does it. Instead of the Emu just turning on it like normal the power button light comes on then it starts to click like a Geiger counter followed by evenly spaced loud clicks like a countdown then it flashes (like normal) and works for the rest of the day. If I turn it off during the day and then back on it comes on fine like it always has. But that first start up in the morning with the loud clicking just started a few days ago. Is it dying?
Posted By: Brian Hughes Re: Is my Emu 0404 USB dying? - 12/20/19 07:24 PM
Sounds like your 5v power supply might be starting to fail. If you have access to another supply to try out that would be the first thing I would try. I have read other posts like your symptoms with this unit and it was resolved with a new power supply.
If you decide to try this make sure you have the right polarity plug on the replacement supply.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Is my Emu 0404 USB dying? - 12/20/19 08:59 PM
Here are some power supplies for the Emu 0404 USB:

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=Emu+0404+USB+power+supply&FORM=SHOPPA&originIGUID=73FDAC2D18EF45988D4A40F929516166
Posted By: Sundance Re: Is my Emu 0404 USB dying? - 12/20/19 11:48 PM
Brian, Thank you so much!!! It'll only cost me about $10 to find out for sure.

Mario, Thank you!! I'm ordering one specifically made for it from myvolts.

Meanwhile, I'll leave it turned off til the new ps gets here.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Is my Emu 0404 USB dying? - 01/01/20 12:58 PM
Update. New power supply came yesterday - and it works! The only downsides and hopefully the only ones knock on wood are that the new power supply's cord is more than a foot shorter than the original and the little silver connector that goes into the Emu clicks in just as it should but it's longer so some of the silver shows instead of the connector being totally flush like the original.

Thank you guys again for your help! Happy New Year!

Josie
Posted By: sslechta Re: Is my Emu 0404 USB dying? - 01/01/20 01:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
The little silver connector that goes into the Emu clicks in just as it should but it's longer so some of the silver shows.

Nothing a little electrical or duct tape can't handle to keep it covered..... smile
Posted By: Brian Hughes Re: Is my Emu 0404 USB dying? - 01/01/20 03:57 PM
That's great, glad it solved your problem.
© PG Music Forums