PG Music Home
Posted By: swanman Very Cool Tone - 12/11/09 03:20 AM
Found a tone off that Line 6 UX2 that is too awesome. ( to me, anyway)Gonna keep it as my main tone. Wuddya think? Signature click plz
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/11/09 04:08 AM
Very expressive with a unique vocal quality. Sounds like it's being run through a Talk Box that isn't being talked into. As usual, you get a lot out of it with "just" the pick. I've really enjoyed listening to your sound develop, especially since you got your new amp.

R.
Posted By: gibson Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/11/09 08:07 AM
Nice sound, gonna fire up my UX2 to see if I can find what tone you are playing with
As usual excellent playing.

Alyn
Posted By: swanman Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/11/09 05:35 PM
Set up is.....Citrus D-30 amp, medium gain....Cavernous Reverb...Noise Gate...Clean Sweep Filter.....;) Playing through my Marshall ( clean tone)
Posted By: RickeG Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/11/09 08:30 PM
Sounds like a Satch sound. I like to go onto Line 6 for my PODxtLive. They take a lot of the leg work out of making the overall tone. Then, I can tweak to taste from there.

I like the concept of the song. I like a tempo couple with the chord arrangements to play over. Very soulful.

What type of guitar and pickups are you using? They sound they have bite of a single coil. I like the fact that you are going for different degrees of depth for added color. It keeps the listener interested.

Nice job!
RickeG
Posted By: swanman Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/12/09 03:32 PM
Posted By: gibson Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/12/09 04:08 PM
AH HAH never tried that amp, thanks
keep up the excellent fretwork.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/12/09 04:17 PM
Swanman, you do like to tackle the giants. And I have to give you props for taking on this tune. Because we ended Lovers is one of the classic examples of the tonal genius of Jeff Beck. You gave it a good go. Thanks for sharing.

Recalling all your past contributions to the forum, it certainly does appear that you have been woodsheading. Your technique and tone have dramatically improved over that time. Ain't Music Wonderful!

And based on your recording solely in Audacity, I would propose a trade; I have some recording gear which I would be glad to trade for some of your guitar chops.
Posted By: Russell DeMussel Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/12/09 05:12 PM
Hey Swanman. Sounds great. I have that same tone on my Behringer V-amp 2. It's an autowah. You can adjust it for more or little amounts of wahwah along with a great fuzz-tone. The guitar work is great, as usual. Keep on pickin'.
Posted By: swanman Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/12/09 05:59 PM
Hehe...tx guys...:)
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/15/09 05:48 AM
Swanny,

as to keeping it your main tone - everything but the wah would be appropriate tone for a 'main' sound - at least distorted/overdriven. I would use automation on the wah to tame it somewhat.

In reading your first post - are you somehow using the UX2 for the first amp and effects, then playing through an actual Marshall amp on a clean setting and recording the amplifier mic'ed?

If so, why not record directly from the UX2 into your computer?

I'm just curious.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/15/09 07:15 AM
Nice and clean. Excellent mix and guitar work. Thanks for sharing!

Listen To My Music
Read My Blog
Posted By: swanman Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/16/09 03:50 PM
I'm not using a wah at all, rockstar.

I find that playing directly through my amp and using the UX2 as, basically, a pedal, gives a much richer and authentic tone. I will try going direct through the comp. Maybe that'll make the damn latency go away.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/16/09 04:36 PM
Excellent effort, Swanny. I'm not familiar with that tune but I like it. I know, I'm just a board player right?
It does sound to me like there's some wah on there though. Especially around the 1:17 mark.
This tune is obviously for showcasing your considerable guitar chops but a comment about the drums: They're way too stiff and mechanical especially the snare rolls, they have that dreaded machine gun effect which is a dead give away for overly quantized midi drums. Strictly from a music producers point of view, try to loosen up the drums a bit in the edit window, maybe find some better drum samples too, it would make the whole thing sound better but still the point of this is your playing which is outstanding.

Bob
Posted By: marcost Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/16/09 05:42 PM
Cool tone and great expressive playing! Thanks for sharing
Posted By: swanman Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/16/09 08:53 PM
Thanks, Jazz. Thats' a backing track that I'm playing along with. Nothin I can do about the drums....:)
Posted By: MikeK Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/16/09 09:37 PM
Very NICE, Swanny!!! Awesome tone!!! Nice playing from beginning to end!

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/17/09 12:08 AM
Quote:

I'm not using a wah at all, rockstar.

I find that playing directly through my amp and using the UX2 as, basically, a pedal, gives a much richer and authentic tone. I will try going direct through the comp. Maybe that'll make the damn latency go away.

There's definitely autowah going on in the sound. If you look in the Line6 patch in the computer, I'll bet a nickel that there's an autowah effect in line somewhere. It may show up as a 'filter' in the list. It's responding to signal dynamics. Similar feature in lots of amp simulation hardware and software. Normally not part of a 'signature' tone, but an effect that has it's place used infrequently.

Also, there's a way with the UX2 to monitor more directly I thought - to help avoid latency. I almost bought that unit 3-4 years ago but I got very crummy responses from the tech support guy. Have you played with the latency settings of the ASIO drivers? You should be able to get rid of most noticeable latency so you can play expressively.
Posted By: swanman Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/17/09 04:28 AM
Good point, rock. If you use the actual "wha wha" that they offer, it sounds crappy, IMO. Theres definately some kind of something that's giving it a bit of a wha sound, no doubt. Beats me what it is. I'm sure you're right.

Just discovered that you can put your headphones on ( plugged directly into the UX2 Unit) and you dont need a mic for recording nor do you need your amp thats on the ground in front of you. Ahh...the wonders of USB...:) It sounds absolutley fabulous and latency is gone. Now, if i can only get the sound of the backing track to go into my head phones, I'll be straight. I'd highly recommend this thing to anyone who plays guitar. For $200.00 american, cant beat it.
Posted By: swanman Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/17/09 04:29 AM
And thanks very much for the compliments.
Posted By: swanman Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/17/09 04:32 AM
Hey Mike....just listened to your stuff on soundclick. Great pl;ayin and great sound.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/17/09 07:45 AM
Quote:

Thanks, Jazz. Thats' a backing track that I'm playing along with. Nothin I can do about the drums....:)

LT, here's your mission should you choose to accept it:

Recreate those backing tracks yourself but do it better. You have all the tools and it's the best way to learn these programs. When I have time which is not too often unfortunately, I will pick a tune and just work it up. Try finding a multitrack midi file of it and put it into Real Band. Which reminds me, I've worked up an instrumental version of Stevie Wonder's "I Wish". I was going to ask you about that a few months ago and completely zoned it out. It cooks pretty good and I think you could put a smokin solo and some cool comps on it. Let me know, I can get it to you via yousendit.

Bob
Posted By: MarioD Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/17/09 11:23 AM
Another keeper from Swanman!

Great tone and super chops!
Posted By: MikeK Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/17/09 03:13 PM
Quote:

Hey Mike....just listened to your stuff on soundclick. Great pl;ayin and great sound.

Many thanks, Swanny!
Posted By: Tchairdjian Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/17/09 03:59 PM
"Now, if i can only get the sound of the backing track to go into my head phones, I'll be straight."

Swanny, there must be an input source on there... I had a cheap VOX30 headphone gizmo once that allowed me to input my backing tracks so I could hear my playing along with the tracks -- all through my headphone.

EDIT: I just checked the manual on that UX2, there are input jacks in the back which you can use to do that.
Posted By: babarton Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/18/09 01:01 PM
Quote:

Now, if i can only get the sound of the backing track to go into my head phones, I'll be straight. I'd highly recommend this thing to anyone who plays guitar. For $200.00 american, cant beat it.

Swanman,

I just got one of these delivered yesterday - haven't had time to play with it yet, really looking forward to this weekend. If your tones and reports are any indication, I'll have a blast with it.

I understand that you should be able to hear your backing tracks in the phones if you select the UX2 as your audio output device in windows control panel (assuming you're using windoze). Supposedly you can monitor with effects with very little latency (and even record a dry signal while doing so). I'll play around with it some this weekend and report back.

Apparently you have to set it up this way yourself (installation does not do this by default). There is a video tutorial on the Line 6 site.

Bruce
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/18/09 01:56 PM
swanny,

Take on Jazzmammal's challenge. Drums will be the nemesis but it can be done. I've followed this guy's progression from his drums sounding like MIDI machine guns to very very convincing metal/hard rock drumming.

I've purchased two of his CDs, but I've been e-mailing back and forth with him well before he got to the point where it was a no-brainer for me to purchase his CDs. He's doing all of this stuff, including his own mastering, in his home studio.

He even has endorsement deals now. Incredibly talented melodic rock guitar player and composer. If you are a fan of Joe Satriani/Steve Stevens/Steve Vai, check him out. I think his songwriting, arranging and composing skills far outpace the 3 of those guitar heros combined. Much of this is because he's a one-man show and lays all of the composition out himself:

http://www.nalbantov.com/

Listen to his track #5. You could play alot of the guitar parts. Listen however to the drums and how they don't distract from the guitar playing. That's all Dimitar's drum programming. I think he uses both Addictive Drums and EZ Drummer.

He came along probably 10-15 years too late - but I still love cruising to this stuff. It's very very enjoyable to me. I can vouch that if you pay him for the CDs via paypal, they do come eventually after a few weeks from Bulgaria.
Posted By: rharv Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/18/09 02:28 PM
Dimitar has been known to hang out over at kara-moon.com
he has an artist page there .. very talented guy
Posted By: Tchairdjian Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/18/09 05:16 PM
Swanny,
I took a more detailed look at the manual.

You have a MONITOR IN jack in the back of your Line 6 UX2 - it says: Connect any line level input source for monitoring to the Stereo MONITOR IN. So "If you want to hear audio coming from your computer, but do not want this audio recorded, then plug the source in here (this Monitor In signal is not fed to the Record Sends). Note that this is a stereo jack, so you should use a stereo, 1/4-inch TRS audio cable for this connection."

(I suppose you need to select the UX2 as your audio output device in windows control panel as mentioned by BABRTON...)

You also have LINE INPUTS -- Connect any line level input source that you want to record into the Line Inputs If you want to record the signal from a line level source, such as a keyboard, your stereo receiver, the line out from a mixing console, etc., connect them to these Left and Right inputs. (i.e. Don't connect your PC audio output to this unless you want to get all sorts of feedback...)

Let us know your progress.
Posted By: swanman Re: Very Cool Tone - 12/18/09 05:46 PM
Thanks very large guys. Hugely appreciated.
© PG Music Forums