PG Music Home
Posted By: swanman Latency Issue - 12/12/09 03:37 PM
Buddy of mine just pointed out to me that my p[laying is ever so slightly lagging the songs I've been playing into Audacity. I must be going deaf not to have noticed it until now. Makes it seem like I'm barley behind the beat. Anyway to correct that? Embarrased. Thanks
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Latency Issue - 12/12/09 03:56 PM
"Barley" behind the beat is caused by too much beer before recording.

Sorry, couldn't let that one pass.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Latency Issue - 12/12/09 03:59 PM
Great minds.....
Posted By: DrDan Re: Latency Issue - 12/12/09 04:04 PM
Quote:

Buddy of mine just pointed out to me that my p[laying is ever so slightly lagging the songs I've been playing into Audacity. I must be going deaf not to have noticed it until now. Makes it seem like I'm barley behind the beat. Anyway to correct that? Embarrased. Thanks

Of course there is but first, you mean you do all your recording in the Audacity apprlication? Don't get me wrong, it is a great app, and I use it too, but you get what you pay for. And given that Audacity is free, well you get my point.

Any full DAW will allow you to adjust latency or off timing. You can zoon in, jump to tranients and make adjustments with a few mouse clicks. While folks with good/trained ears can hear a minor off timing, any amature (of which I include myself) can visually see when the beats are off given a good DAW.

That all said, don't kick yourself. I am sure few can hear the mistiming you are referring to. Your buddy obviously has a tuned\trained ear. Heck, I am told Santana made his entire sound and career being off the beat. So you are in good company.

Dan
Posted By: DrDan Re: Latency Issue - 12/12/09 04:06 PM
Quote:

"Barley" behind the beat is caused by too much beer before recording.

Sorry, couldn't let that one pass.

Oh, I get it now, very cute observation
Posted By: gibson Re: Latency Issue - 12/12/09 04:15 PM
Have you fiddled with the latency in Gearbox?

Help
Hardware and drive settings
Then ToneDirect Monitoring and it is explanatory, mine is on the setting just above extra small buffer size.

hope this helps
Posted By: silvertones Re: Latency Issue - 12/12/09 04:17 PM
I wish I could DL the song. Can't play with just dial up. That said I will offer my two cents.
Sloppy playing aside what makes midi so bad is bad sound modules and the lack of human feel aka Playing like a robot. Dead nuts on the beat all the time. Now as a bass player I want to beat dead nuts on the beat and I want the drummers kick the same way. This gives you other players an anchor to swing from. If it don't swing it ain't happening. Even in blues, country or whatever. Maybe your friend just needs to have something to say to show he's better. If I could DL it I'd give you my honest opinion.
Posted By: rharv Re: Latency Issue - 12/12/09 04:34 PM
I guess I would ask the same question as above -
You must own Powertracks or Realband .. why are you doing projects in Audacity?

Easy fix, even after the fact, in either of the above programs, just grab it and slide it.
Or cut a small sliver before the playing starts and choose to 'close the gap'.

I've never tried to adjust the recording settings (or do very much editing) in Audacity, it seems untuitive to me, especially the effects and edit areas.

Laying on the beat is exactly what you want in some some songs.. and in some you may want the guitar pushing the beat .. it all depends on the song. If it is late and you don't want it late, just import the wav files from audacity into RB or PT and you can adjust any of it very easily.
Posted By: Russell DeMussel Re: Latency Issue - 12/12/09 04:46 PM
Quote:

Great minds.....

The beer, followed by an upper, will put you right back on track, eh?
Posted By: Mac Re: Latency Issue - 12/12/09 04:49 PM
Inside Audacity:

Edit -> Preferences -> and hit the "Quality" tab:

Set the default sample rate to 44100

Set the Default Sample Format to 32 bit Float

Realtime Samplerate Converter: set to "Fast sinc interpolation"

High Quality Samplerate Converter: set to "High-quality sinc interpolation"

Realtime dither = "None"

High Quality dither = "Shaped"

Under the Audio I/O tab, make good and sure that your soundcard's actual physical inputs and outputs are selected in the dropdowns. Especially NOT the "Microsoft Sound Mapper" if that's listed.

If you are still using the Delta card, then set the Recording side to the "M-Audio Delta Mon. Mixer" setting. --> This is very likely the biggest reason for your current problem, LT. You can't just dive headon into this stuff hopin' to get lucky, man. Luck be a lady. Knowmean?

Audacity can do the job. Just because a program is free doesn't mean what others are saying here.

Be advised that Audacity does not address the soundcard's ASIO drivers, it uses the Windows WDM drivers, which can be just as fast nowadays. Those knocking Audacity are some of the same ones who tell everybody to always use MME/WDM drivers in PT and RealBand anyway. Both sound identical, ASIO once was the leader in latency figures, not so much anymore. Use either, use what works for you.

--Mac
Posted By: swanman Re: Latency Issue - 12/12/09 06:01 PM
hahahaha!!!! sadly.....I dont drink. So it must be the "heroin"...;) ( jk)
Posted By: swanman Re: Latency Issue - 12/12/09 06:07 PM
Thanks much, guys.Not particularily computer/sofware literate..( or any kind of literate for that matter) Onward to hopefully fix the problem.......hopefully...:)
Posted By: Mac Re: Latency Issue - 12/12/09 06:20 PM
swanman--

Don't set the Record to Monitor Mix.

Set it to Line In 1/2 isntead.

Just had a flash about the way you want to record this.

Hope I caught ya in time...

--Mac
Posted By: rharv Re: Latency Issue - 12/12/09 11:37 PM
Not knockin Audacity here, actually masteringmatters sent them some $$ recently .. Oren really wanted to. He uses it a lot.
Ive heard some great stuff come out of Audacity, happy to admit.

I find things much easier in PT and RB.. and I think he already has one of those.

If he likes working in Audacity, thats a whole different thing.

Macs idea of not using Monitor Mix above .. make sure you caught that - use 1/2 like he said
© PG Music Forums