PG Music Home
Posted By: Mark Hayes Bass Amp? - 03/13/22 03:12 PM
I currently have two ways of playing my bass (not counting unplugged): through my iMac setup and through a Roland MicroCube. Using a computer rig to just play is a PITA, but playing through the cube sounds unspeakably dinky.

So, I'm looking for a decent bass amp for strictly studio use.

Recommendations solicited, TIA!

Mark
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Bass Amp? - 03/13/22 03:43 PM
If you're looking for something small, for studio use..... I would suggest the Spark 40. It's a small 40w amp that has a number of bass models in it. Run it direct to your interface via audio out or USB direct and you get the quality of the sound without having to use big speaker cabinets and lots of power.

I've got the spark and use it audio direct for recording and I'm fairly impressed with it's versatility and sound quality. All of my recent recordings are using it so you can search back and listen to it. Of course,,,,, I'm not playing a bass through it but I have heard a few folks using it for bass on the spark FB page and it's sounds pretty decent.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Bass Amp? - 03/13/22 04:16 PM
I have the Bronco 40 and love it. It's a rugged little amp, pushes plenty of air for studio work, and has an XLR-out with a 10" speaker. It also has an Aux-out that I've used with a vocal mic.

Like the Spark, it has several built-in models.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Blemished/Fender/Bronco-40-40W-1x10-Bass-Combo-Amp-Level-2-Black-888366000281-H76027005001016.gc
Posted By: bloc-head Re: Bass Amp? - 03/13/22 04:27 PM
I use a SansAmp DI box, and a mic'd up Ampeg Rocket Amp.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Bass Amp? - 03/13/22 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
I use a SansAmp DI, box and a mic'd up Ampeg Rocket Amp.

OK, I'm in over my head. Does this mean you use the SansAmp for direct injection into a recording system / DAW?
Posted By: bloc-head Re: Bass Amp? - 03/14/22 09:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
I use a SansAmp DI, box and a mic'd up Ampeg Rocket Amp.

OK, I'm in over my head. Does this mean you use the SansAmp for direct injection into a recording system / DAW?
Yes... Bass/Guitar > SansAmp > Mixer/Studio-Monitors > Audio-Interface > PC/DAW > Mixer/Studio-Monitors > My EARS
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Bass Amp? - 03/15/22 01:27 AM
Even simpler: Zoom B3

Original version. Headphones out, functions as an amp and effects simulator, a DI for when you play out, and as a USB audio interface.

Fits in a small laptop bag. I love mine.

Again original model for the simplicity of having xlr out. Show up at the gig and plug in.

Later models lost the xlr out.

https://reverb.com/p/zoom-b3?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=csp&utm_content=3607
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Bass Amp? - 03/15/22 11:12 AM
Indeed, you do not actually need an amplifier for studio work. For many years, I used my Line 6 POD 2 as my studio "amp". It worked very well. The only reason I moved to the Spark amp was that the POD2 was limited to the built-in models and that was about a dozen or so, most of which I didn't use because I didn't like their sound.

There are a number of small modeling racks and "pedals", for lack of a better term, that will do a superb job in the studio.

I picked up my POD2 on Ebay for half the price of a new one at the time. Even it has a bass amp model in it that was a favorite of guitar players and it was one of my go-to models.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bass Amp? - 03/15/22 12:09 PM
As Herb said you don't really need an amp for studio recording/playing. I use Amplitube, I use it for guitar and bass, but you may not need to spend a lot of money, if any, to get a good sounding bass amp vst.

https://midination.com/vst/free-vst-plugins/free-bass-amp-vst/

Has a list of free ones.

There are also a lot of free pedal VSTs available.

Google/bing free bass amp vst and you will find a number of bass amps and pedal.

Note that I do not have any experience with any of the above. Also I always check for viruses and malware prior to installing any freebee and most are not infected if gotten from a reliable source.

[edit] typo
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Bass Amp? - 03/15/22 04:02 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts, folks. To be clear, I'm specifically looking for an amp, that I can just plug into and play, without using a computer. Carry on! =8^)
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: Bass Amp? - 03/16/22 09:37 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts, folks. To be clear, I'm specifically looking for an amp, that I can just plug into and play, without using a computer. Carry on! =8^)

I recommend that you check out the Fender Rumble line of bass amps. I had a Rumble 40 combo and a Rumble 200 combo in the U.S. but had to sell them when I moved to France (no 230VAC support). I just ordered a Rumble Studio 40 and GTX-7 footswitch from Thomann. The Studio 40 costs 422 € at Thomann.fr. It contains a lot of presets of different bass amps and more input/output options. The GTX-7 footswitch costs 95 €. The regular Rumble 40 costs 299 € at Thomann. It is an excellent sounding amp, without the extras bells and whistles. If 299 € is too expensive, a Rumble 25 (169 €) or Rumble 15 (130 €) are decent options. [NOTE: All Thomann prices include 20% TVA.]

I've owned a lot of different bass amps, but Fender Rumbles are really good for the amount of money they cost.

Rumble Studio 40 combo

Rumble 40 combo

Rumble 25 combo

Rumble 15 combo

Excellent Rumble subforum on TalkBass

Check out this video!

Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Bass Amp? - 03/16/22 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: TheMaartian

Just ordered, I should have it Friday, thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWINLAE/

Part of it's brand loyalty, the only other amp I've ever owned was a tiny Fender Vibro Champ. I still remember that awesome red crystal ON light. Anyhood, looking forward to delivery, a lot!

I'm wondering how good this amp will be for guitar as well as bass.

For the record, here's what I got:

Gibson Les Paul Studio guitar
Aria Pro II bass
Boss GT-8 multi FX processor
Roland GR-20 guitar synthesizer

and I can't imagine I'd have a problem getting those to sound good.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Bass Amp? - 03/16/22 04:14 PM
Guess you've tried Logic's zillions of combinations of bass amps, cabinets and speakers? I frequently render RT bass tracks DI and use them. FWIW.

But then I'm just an ole hack upright player smile

Bud
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: Bass Amp? - 03/17/22 03:00 AM

Just ordered, I should have it Friday, thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWINLAE/

Part of it's brand loyalty, the only other amp I've ever owned was a tiny Fender Vibro Champ. I still remember that awesome red crystal ON light. Anyhood, looking forward to delivery, a lot!

I'm wondering how good this amp will be for guitar as well as bass.

For the record, here's what I got:

Gibson Les Paul Studio guitar
Aria Pro II bass
Boss GT-8 multi FX processor
Roland GR-20 guitar synthesizer

and I can't imagine I'd have a problem getting those to sound good.

Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Bass Amp? - 03/17/22 10:47 AM
So surprised you didn't go with a MARK bass.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Bass Amp? - 03/17/22 12:36 PM
Mark,
You might also want to consider if your amp has a rugged face or a fabric one. Fabric faces makes me nervous, just takes a guitar stand or stool to poke thru and tear it. I chose the Fender Bronco 40W amp in part because of this. It has a steel grille.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Bass Amp? - 03/17/22 12:47 PM
You can always add that metal grill. I have always put metal grills on amps. Right over the cloth.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Bass Amp? - 03/17/22 12:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
You might also want to consider if your amp has a rugged face or a fabric one. Fabric faces makes me nervous, just takes a guitar stand or stool to poke thru and tear it. I chose the Fender Bronco 40W amp in part because of this. It has a steel grille.

Eh, I'm good with the risk, if that's what I'm getting =8^) because whatever I'm getting, it has THAT LOOK (see Amazon listing) and I am PSYCHED. I'm getting a bass amp, yay! And like I said, this thing won't be hitting the road or facing bottle throwers any time soon. Probably the biggest physical risk will be coffee spillage.

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
So surprised you didn't go with a MARK bass.

I used a chime tree in a piece and somebody referred to it as a "Mark tree" and I had no idea why they were doing that until I googled.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Bass Amp? - 03/17/22 12:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Guess you've tried Logic's zillions of combinations of bass amps, cabinets and speakers?

Oh, yeah. I love what Logic can do to an electric guitar. And I'll probably still do any bass recording by direct inject, I mostly want the amp for just playing and noodling.

True Confessions: Part of why I'm getting this amp now is incentivizing myself to play at all, so I want to make it as EASY as possible to pick up the bass and play it, and hey, a new toy CAN help with motivation – I once cracked a years long cold streak by getting new guitar strings.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Bass Amp? - 03/17/22 02:06 PM
I only know Mark Bass because my last band's bass player used one. I doubt he chose it for any reason that the speakers are yellow and draws attention to him. Part of why I don't play with them anymore.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Bass Amp? - 03/18/22 12:06 PM
Mark bass amps are actually well regarded
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Bass Amp? - 03/18/22 04:57 PM
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Mark bass amps are actually well regarded

In the right hands, they sound great. We did a gig where the bass player from the opening act asked if he could use the Mark. Our guy sad he was welcomed to it. I listened to 3 songs out front and with almost the identical bass that amp sounded WAY better than with our guy. He had no idea about tone. Everything to 11 on both the bass and the amp. It sounds like a mudslide coming off the stage. Nobody can explain to him that just because it's a bass that you still need some midrange. But I'm out of that band now so whatever.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Bass Amp? - 03/18/22 05:43 PM
DELIVERED! I now have my very first bass amp, a Fender Rumble 25. Thing sounds great with my bass and awesome with my guitar – I use flatwound strings on both so the low end of the guitar can sound very basslike when plucked by finger.

Thanks again to the Martian and all intelligent life everywhere for helping me navigate to this point. Now I have a bass AND a bass amp!
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 02:14 AM
DELIVERED! I now have my very first bass amp, a Fender Rumble 25. Thing sounds great with my bass and awesome with my guitar – I use flatwound strings on both so the low end of the guitar can sound very basslike when plucked by finger.

Thanks again to the Martian and all intelligent life everywhere for helping me navigate to this point. Now I have a bass AND a bass amp!

Awesome! You beat me to it. Glad you're happy with it.

My new Studio 40 is supposed to arrive on Monday. I'll post pics when it does.

How about a pic of your new amp, bass and guitar for those of us who love such things?

And post it in the Fender Rumble thread on TalkBass. That'll get you a Fender Rumble Club number! Super valuable! Ha. The Fender Rumble Wiki has a ton of useful info.

Fender Rumble Club on TalkBass

Fender Rumble Wiki on TalkBass
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 10:09 AM
How about a pic of your new amp, bass and guitar for those of us who love such things?

Well, I substituted my dog for the bass but you get the idea. I'm also including a shot of the tag with the warning that my amp will cause cancer and reproductive harm in California, for safety's sake.

Attached picture IMG_0592.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0752.JPG
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 10:16 AM
Quote:
Well, I substituted my dog for the bass but you get the idea.

Well, the dog substitution absolutely worked. Yes, that's a substitution if ever I saw one.

Attached picture 2022-03-20_0-14-53.jpg
Attached picture 2022-03-20_0-16-43.jpg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 10:58 AM
Wait one second!

There is no substitution for a dog!

Here are my two to prove it:

Attached picture Penny + Giget - 2.JPG
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 11:42 AM
I love my 3 dogs. I love my 4 basses. Not sure I can get all of that in the photo when my Rumble arrives on Monday. cool

I think I see a bass leaning against your new amp. And I think I see a blue sixer in the background. smile
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 01:21 PM
Here's my "bass"....

The chunky bass

Actually the bass I have is a 3/4 scale Ibanez. Pawn shop find for like 75 bucks.
Posted By: rharv Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 03:34 PM
"3/4 scale Ibanez"
I played one of those a couple years ago and liked it.

Why is everybody avoiding a picture of their bass?
I'll start; my favorite bass, beat up over the years and refinished many times, ugly as can be, but sounds good to me
let's hijack this into a show me your bass thread
sound of said bass -
http://www.masteringmatters.com/stuff/PutItOut.mp3
/just trying to have fun

Attached picture oldBass.jpg
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 05:06 PM
Here's my bass.

And here's a question. HOW do I change strings on this Harley Benton acoustic? I have never seen a bridge like this.

I think I see holes to feed the strings through but what is all that extra wire??
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 05:32 PM

And here's a question. HOW do I change strings on this Harley Benton acoustic? I have never seen a bridge like this.

I think I see holes to feed the strings through but what is all that extra wire??

Posted By: MarioD Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 05:36 PM
That is just extra guitar strings that they don't cut off. I don't like stringing my classical guitar so I just use folk guitar strings:

https://www.juststrings.com/daddarioacousticguitarfolk.html

Folk guitar strings are like classical guitar strings but with a ball end like regular guitar strings have.

I know, I'm a very lazy person.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 05:42 PM
That's a good video Floyd and I bookmarked it. I will consider acoustic vs ball end when it needs new strings. Thanks to both you and Mario.
Posted By: rharv Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 07:34 PM
"Is the S or the C silent in the word "scent"?"
yes
smile

Posted By: MarioD Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 07:54 PM
That's a good video Floyd and I bookmarked it. I will consider acoustic vs ball end when it needs new strings. Thanks to both you and Mario.

Just in case you didn't know folk guitar strings have nylon strings for G, B, and E strings. The base three are metal strings. They are just like classical strings.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 09:18 PM
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Quote:
Well, I substituted my dog for the bass but you get the idea.

Well, the dog substitution absolutely worked. Yes, that's a substitution if ever I saw one.

There's even another layer of substitution going on (it's all very mathematical.) On my SoundCloud profile, and here, I suppress the version of that pug photo I like best, for fear of offending. But really, no offense should be taken, I sent this to a bipolar friend who replied that she wanted one of those hats.

Attached picture wikipug.jpg
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 09:37 PM
re rumble amps for bass.
an old trick used to be to play elec gtr thru a bass amp.
thus i'm curious what does a elec gtr sound like thru one of the affordeable fender rumble bass amps ?
anyone tried it ?

frankly ...for guitar players...what knocked me out in a big studio once was a session elec gtr player that brought in just a small pignose amp and a few pedals.
not only could this guy really rock but the sounds coming
off 2 inch tape were stunning from the pignose/pedals combo.

happiness.
om

ps I love the dog pics in this thread.
i cried for days when we lost ours.

Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Bass Amp? - 03/19/22 09:40 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
thus i'm curious what does a elec gtr sound like thru one of the affordeable fender rumble bass amps ? anyone tried it ?

It sounds ridiculously bass-y. Unless you want to play the guitar as a bass (which becomes more of an option with a bass amp) you will need to dial the bass down on the amp. But then it's fine.

Actually, I was just a-noodling, and it struck me that a rhythm guitar played, with some bass-y intent, through a bass amp (based on my own HIGHLY limited experience) might go a long way toward compensating for lack of an actual bassist.
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: Bass Amp? - 03/21/22 10:29 AM
My new Rumble Studio 40 is in the house! Pictured with one of my 4 basses, the G&L Fullerton Deluxe Fallout, and my Native Instruments S61 Mk II MIDI controller. The GTX-7 footswitch is under the keyboard.

Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Bass Amp? - 03/21/22 11:23 AM
Yeah yeah, I know you done gone and bought something else......

This is a really talented guy who uses the Spark amp. This is a brand new video of him playing a cheap $300 bass into the Spark 40.

Look him up on youtube and watch some of his guitar playing. this guy is talented.

Post the new amp in one of your songs.... we wanna hear it.
© PG Music Forums