PG Music Home
Posted By: Cerio Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/14/22 12:58 PM
https://musescore.org/en/4.0

Still free and open source smile
Posted By: DrDan Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/14/22 01:37 PM
This is a beast of an application. Let the learning curve begin.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/14/22 05:32 PM
I've worked with a beta version, and I need to get this. Thanks for the notice.

For anyone not familiar, MuseScore is to my knowledge still the ONLY music notation software that reads BIAB formatted SGU and MGU files directly. This is major.
Posted By: Cerio Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/14/22 06:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
For anyone not familiar, MuseScore is to my knowledge still the ONLY music notation software that reads BIAB formatted SGU and MGU files directly. This is major.

Unfortunately it seems SGU / MGU support is broken in MS4; Importing a MusicXML file made with BIAB is also not working.

None of these options appear in this list :
https://musescore.org/en/node/334701

Before reporting it to the MS team, could you please confirm, Matt?
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/14/22 06:22 PM
Has anyone else gotten this message from within MuseScore3 ?

Attached picture Screenshot 50.jpg
Posted By: DrDan Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/14/22 08:28 PM
I think they are still maintaining the V3 along with the V4. So that could be the most up to date V3. I was running V4 in its Alpha/beta for the past months, but that was on the old dead machine. I am looking forward to loading V4, but the load is massive with the "hub" think which is a heavy connection to the website for loading, maintaining and advertizing. So I have to do the new install carefully to get only what I need this time.

Posted By: MarioD Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/14/22 09:35 PM
I just read this on their web site, "MIDI import panel not currently implemented, making this section largely moot". Thus one can not import any MIDI files. I would assume that includes BiaB files.

Unless that is rectified then version 4 is a no go for me.

If anyone finds anything different please let us know.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/14/22 09:36 PM
Here I just D&D a BIAB .mgu file into Muscore. Notice something missing? When I tried to examine what was going on it just shut down Muscore (twice). The second time it was a time out shut down after a few minutes.

Maybe something I need to learn.

Attached picture Screenshot 2022-12-14 183217.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/14/22 09:55 PM
Ouch. I’ll test as soon as I can, but this doesn’t look promising. It would be unfortunate. I have sometimes taken a BIAB song into MuseScore then exported it as Music XML. The reason is that sometimes the Music XML exported from BIAB gives an error message when imported.

I will try to find time to run some tests.
Posted By: Byron Dickens Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/15/22 01:18 AM
I believe I will wait.
Posted By: musocity Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/15/22 03:52 AM
I wonder if they fixed the VST Sync issue
https://github.com/musescore/MuseScore/issues/14304
I asked some time back.
Quote:
Musescore 4 is not sending the VstTimeInfo to the plugin, this is needed for VSTs like EZKeys EZBass EZDrummer ReWireVST MusicLab RealGuitars Kontakt RapidCompose etc.. that need to sync with the host.
You can see in the pic the is no ppqpos, tempo or time signature being sent to the VST
Whether VstFX or VstI
https://reatrak.com/images/MS4-No-VstTimeInfo.png
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/16/22 01:33 PM
Ouch. I’ll test as soon as I can, but this doesn’t look promising. It would be unfortunate. I have sometimes taken a BIAB song into MuseScore then exported it as Music XML. The reason is that sometimes the Music XML exported from BIAB gives an error message when imported.

I will try to find time to run some tests.

I have gotten the error message a few times importing the BIAB XML and just acknowledged it and kept going and it usually works out fine. But you never know! I use Musescore a lot, so hopefully they will get version 4 sorted out soon enough.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/16/22 08:59 PM
Sorry, still on other projects. My experience with MuseScore 3 import of Music XML is that it was great for two reasons: 1) it read files other notation programs would not, and 2) it gave you a clue to the error.

Other programs would just crash. No message, no help. It is pretty easy to read the code, but still …
Posted By: Ryan_R Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/25/22 04:38 AM
This was an interesting watch to see how it came together. I can only dream for a similar UI overhaul in BB haha.

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/28/22 02:52 PM
I just tested loading a BIAB MGU file into Musescore 4.0.

Total disaster.

Yes, we wait.
Posted By: musocity Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/28/22 04:30 PM
Did you put a bug report in ?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/28/22 04:52 PM
Originally Posted By: musocity
Did you put a bug report in ?
Seems like this is well known.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/29/22 12:27 PM
I just tested loading a BIAB MGU file into Musescore 4.0.

Total disaster.

Yes, we wait.

The Musescore people have admitted from the release of 4.0 that a number of features are missing and that may well be one of those features.

I have yet to try this, but my first attempt at a workaround for any of these types of issue would be to first do what I want in Musescore 3, save it, then open it again in Musescore 4. A bit tedious, but may well achieve what one wants.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 12/29/22 02:38 PM
A reasonable test idea. Thanks, will try that.
Posted By: DrDan Musescore 4.0.1 - Every little bit helps - 01/14/23 06:18 PM
Update is available. cool

Attached picture Screenshot 2023-01-14 151540.jpg
Posted By: DrDan Musescore 4.1 released - 08/02/23 12:08 PM
Musescore 4.1 Released a couple weeks ago, but I didn't see and mention here. This is still a premier free application which deserves acknowledgement.

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Musescore 4.1 released - 08/02/23 12:38 PM
Thanks Dan. They have really come a long way. The quality of the printouts now is excellent, and they still have the best Music XML handling out there.
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: Musescore 4.1 released - 08/02/23 12:55 PM
I had already installed the v4.1.0 update, but when I saw this, I ran the update checker anyway. And guess what? v4.1.1 was just released. smile
Posted By: NOLAGuy Re: Musescore 4.1 released - 08/02/23 02:26 PM
[quote=MusicStudent]Musescore 4.1 Released a couple weeks ago, but I didn't see and mention here. This is still a premier free application which deserves acknowledgement.

Unfortunately, the included video did not address if the MIDI import issue has been remedied.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Musescore 4.2 is now here! - 01/02/24 01:40 AM
MuseScore 4.2 has arrived!

The latest update to the beloved notation app brings a huge raft of updates for compositions with guitar parts — including engraving support for guitar bends, quality playback sounds, plus a new system for alternative tunings.

And that’s not all. 4.2 also features significant updates on syncing between a main score and instrument parts, engraving and playback improvements, bug fixes and much more.
Posted By: musocity Re: Musescore 4.2 is now here! - 01/02/24 04:35 AM
Try EZDrummer in it and see if it follows the host sync now, as I reported this sometime back it needed VstTimeInfo.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Musescore 4.0 is here! - 01/04/24 03:42 AM
MuseScore 4.2 has upgraded to not very good — a considerable improvement over previous versions, IMO. Muse Group admits there's a lot of work that needs doing but they've committed to the task.

Having just purchased Hal Leonard, largest sheet music publisher. Muse Group is poised to enter the big time. If you've not read the Scoring Notes Article, do so. It's fascinating what's going on behind the scenes over there.

One of the benefits of that acquisition is that by being a potential in-house notation app, MuseScore's going to have to become as good as Finale and Sibelius (and perhaps Dorico someday if Yamaha gives Steinberg the money to do so). I expect that to be version 5. They have the resources to do this.

BTW, if you're an AI engineer, Muse Group has job openings.
© PG Music Forums