PG Music Home
Posted By: WaoBand Sophia Loves V2 - 09/16/23 12:12 PM
YouTube Link:
https://youtu.be/gzZsd54gzdc

The original version of "Sophia Loves" was one of my first BiaB instrumental compositions for use as a non-intrusive soundtrack to one of my graphic art videos, all of which instrumentals only used single BiaB styles, but despite liking the chord changes in the original version of this piece it wasn't as good as the others I’d composed and I just felt there was something missing from it. I finally realised that it needed a bridge at the end of the first cycle ('chorus') of chords, then having sorted that I suddenly found that it worked better than expected, but as I didn't want to use a set style I decided to create my own, thus this is what I used:

Piano: Solo Acoustic Piano Ballad John Jarvis
Organ: Country Rock Guitar Solo, Pop Ba Gene Rabai
Tenor saxophone: Slow Country Pop w/ Tenor Solo Mark Douthit
Bass guitar: Dreamy Pop Quintet Tobin Frank
Drums: Ditto Brian Fullen

4 x 48 bar cycles/choruses; 4/4 G; tempo 105; Time 7:28
I prefer mixing the tracks in Audacity

As these days there are so many genres/styles, sub-genres, sub-sub-genres and BiaB's own often very bizarre and occasionally awful styles I never really know what my instrumentals should be listed as, so I just refer to my own style as Wao Tao (Wao Way, but it'd take to long to define 'Wao'!). Suggestions for this track from friends and a couple of BiaB users have been variants of alternative/soft rock/jazz, smooth jazz and horribly even easy listening, but for me the latter suggests James Last, Percy Faith, et al, which "Sophia Loves V2" (version 2) isn't.

SoundCloud Link:
https://soundcloud.com/chay-tana/sophia-loves-v2-chay-tana-aka-wao-band?si=35eef39aa92646a99bc1aaadb3a4de42&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Sophia Loves V2 - 09/17/23 10:05 AM
Wao may be difficult to define, but I get it --sorta. Hey, I really dig the fell of this. The sitar is a great start, and you mix in a lot of really cool tracks to build this into a well-groomed piece. Man, that Jarvis can really play. Yep PGMusic gets the best players, and you brought them all together so well in a fine tune. I can understand why the players wouldn't want their names listed in our creations. Hey, TAO is pretty tough to define too.
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Sophia Loves V2 - 09/17/23 01:36 PM
Thanks for that positive feedback, but while you had me confused to start with, mentioning the sitar, I suddenly realised it was my error! This post and the YT link are for "Sophia Loves V2", but I accidentally pasted the wrong SoundCloud link! You were commenting on "Deya Flows V3: Transformations" which does start with the sitar, but I've now corrected my error and the SC link is now for "Sophia Loves V2", which it should have been in the first place!:D But, yes you're absolutely right about John Javis's superb piano playing.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sophia Loves V2 - 09/18/23 04:51 PM
WaoBand, you created another BiaB style when you mixed these individual RTs into a very creative song. I'll bet that took some time to achieve this.

Super blend and use of various RTs.

I enjoyed this very much.
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Sophia Loves V2 - 09/20/23 03:21 PM
Thanks, Mario! After I've composed a new piece I often sample as many as 30 or more different instruments until I find the the ones that best fit my vision. Sometimes it takes weeks of experimentation before I'm happy with what I've got.
© PG Music Forums