PG Music Home
Posted By: Bass Thumper Slightly Chilled - 01/13/24 09:16 PM
This is my first song of the new year (Happy New Year to all) and was a collaboration with a friend who provided B3 organ. This also gave me an opportunity to further explore my new drum pad; I always wanted to incorporate a finger snap into a song, hopefully it sounds realistic.

BiaB:
RealDrums in style:SmoothJazzCoolSw16^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
RealTracks in song: 2953:Strings, Rhythm JazzBalladPads Sw 060 (Held)

Andrew:
Korg GrandStage – B3 Organ

Me:
Roland Drum Pad – Finger Snap, Djembe, cymbal
Studio One Impact – Shaker
Korg Keyboard – Wire Pluck, E-Piano, Synth, Female Vox, Pad, Guitar
Fender – Bass

Mixed in Studio One and 88 BPM

Thanks for listening if you do and comments always welcome.

Slightly Chilled
Posted By: MarioD Re: Slightly Chilled - 01/14/24 12:16 AM
Steve you are becoming quite the versatile musician!
Outstanding groove
Super arrangement and instrumentation
Great mix
Slightly Chilled, no really cool!
Your best to date IMHO.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Slightly Chilled - 01/14/24 01:47 AM
Mario, coming from a seasoned musician like you this means a lot to me.
And for the 3 years I've participated in this forum you've been a musical inspiration to me and I'm sure others.
Thanks for the listen, the kind words and glad you liked it.
Posted By: rayc Re: Slightly Chilled - 01/14/24 02:03 AM
I dig the delayed bass intro with a couple of pick up notes.
Gentle groove with finger clicks for accents.
Nice one.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Slightly Chilled - 01/14/24 07:36 AM
Nice hypnotic groove. smile
Posted By: Al-David Re: Slightly Chilled - 01/14/24 08:09 AM
Really nice ambient chill! I really liked it when the bg instruments came in @ 1::27 - and then the high synths a bit later. Andrew's organ contribution is great! And your bass line really carries the whole thing. As David mentioned - hypnotic!

This is very well arranged and produced. Terrific job on the mix. And the finger snaps are spot on. That was a real nice listen. the chill factor earned its keep! And the fading of some of the layers as the song approached its ending.

Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: laurent4114 Re: Slightly Chilled - 01/14/24 11:15 AM
.It's very well done. Great sounds.
Laurent
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Slightly Chilled - 01/14/24 12:56 PM
Ray, David, Alan and Laurent thanks so much for the listen and feedback. We were going for a smooth jazz/ambient chill vibe.

Have you ever fallen into a "happy accident" ? Well, per my "plan" I messed up in that my goal was to have the cymbal and finger snap pattern to be consistent for the whole song. But somehow, after dropping out during the soft section, I got lost on the drum pad when I came back in and so I ended up with a non consistent pattern. I actually didn't notice this until the mixing was done and kind of liked the change up. I guess not all mess ups are bad.

Truth be told, I learned the phrase "happy accident" from visual artist Bob Ross on PBS, he says he makes them all the time smile
Posted By: rsdean Re: Slightly Chilled - 01/14/24 12:59 PM
Steve,

Sounds great. Love the drum sounds. Very musical and superbly mixed.

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Slightly Chilled - 01/14/24 02:59 PM
Chilled out. Nice ambient hypnotic groove. I like the layering as it goes along. Everything sounds so lush.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Slightly Chilled - 01/14/24 10:31 PM
Very nice composition, and well played! Sustaining interest in a two chord vamp for over five minutes isn't easy for everyone. You really crushed it. Nice one!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Slightly Chilled - 01/15/24 04:51 PM
Oh, yeah, this is fun. I'm diggin' the beat. Love how the bass comes in. Such good tone, timing and touch, Steve. Man, you took that beat and brought out all the best of it by adding that. Your nameless friend brings in the B3 with such care and anticipation. Is 5+ minutes too long? Nope, not even close, not when you make it so entertaining and make the listening body move to the groove. Well done.
© PG Music Forums