PG Music Home
Posted By: DC Ron Got Too Close Tonight - 03/13/24 10:39 PM
Got Too Close Tonight

A BIG LOVE story...

Thanks in advance for your listens and any input you care to share!

R.W. Davis: Lyrics
D.A. Hughes: Vocals and harmony arrangement
Me: Music, band arrangement, mix, master

****** Song Summary *************
Style is _STUNR1.STY (Stunner Straight Mod Ctry Rhythm)
RealTracks in style: 4028:Bass, Electric, ModernCountry8ths Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 4054:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernCountryStraightPowerRiff Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 4052:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernCountryStraightHighRiff Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 4055:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernCountryStraightHighHeld Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 4053:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernCountryStraightTremoloHeld Ev 120
RealDrums in style:NashvilleEven8^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

I had hardly even seen
The new girl in accountin’
When she passed me a note
That said meet me by the fountain
And then she grabbed my hand
Led me to the elevator
I didn’t understand
Cos I was just a spectator

It was like I was watchin’ a movie
I just couldn’t control
She was the only one who could move me
And see into my soul
Like a white hot light
shinin’ in my eyes
I got too close tonight
I just got too close tonight

We walked out of the lobby
Onto the crowded sidewalk
Smilin’ at each other
We didn’t even have to talk
We walked on into the night
The cold air on both our faces
Though it all seemed so right
What were all these strange places?

It was like I was watchin’ a movie
I just couldn’t control
She was the only one who could move me
And see into my soul
Like a white hot light
burnin’ up the skies
I got too close tonight
I just got too close tonight

Was that a shooting star
Or an aero-plane?
Was it my beating heart
Or the sound of rain?
I tried to slow it down
But I couldn’t stop
All about the town
Going out on top
Waiting for the next shoe to drop

It was like I was watchin’ a movie...
Posted By: Al-David Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/14/24 07:12 AM
HI Ron,

I just wrote a reply, hit "post reply" - then nothing. Oh well - cyberspace must be a pretty busy place!

This is the first time I can remember Dusty singing in that lower register as he did at the beginning of the verses. He can cover the whole vocal spectrum so nicely!

I liked the opposing rhythm guitars, Tremolo right and distortion left - nice!

Another Gem! You guys know what to do with your musical tools!

Take care,

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/14/24 02:44 PM
DC, RW, DA...

Y'all do Pop so well.
Crisp clean tracks. Infectious.
The vocals here seems a bit "too crisp" (opinion - and just a bit). My thought was "warmer" but that might not work.

I so enjoy your Pop.
You show off BIAB well.

fj
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/14/24 02:56 PM
Hi Ron and co-workers,

Very nice popsong with a catchy chorus!
Nice to see how all your songs have a 'delicious' chorus that invites to sing along.
I liked a lot what I heard.
Great work,

Hans
Posted By: MarioD Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/14/24 03:56 PM
When you three get together I know I'm in for a great song.
Super vocal and lyrics with the perfect backing band all mixed to perfection.
Outstanding pop song.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/14/24 06:51 PM
Ron, everything works together very well in this one. The vocals are great as are the lyrics and production. A fine job by all three of you,Tom
Posted By: rsdean Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/14/24 08:37 PM
Ron,

Great song and overall production. Sounds pro and radio-ready. Awesome mix!

Bob
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/14/24 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Al-David
HI Ron, I just wrote a reply, hit "post reply" - then nothing. Oh well - cyberspace must be a pretty busy place! This is the first time I can remember Dusty singing in that lower register as he did at the beginning of the verses. He can cover the whole vocal spectrum so nicely! I liked the opposing rhythm guitars, Tremolo right and distortion left - nice! Another Gem! You guys know what to do with your musical tools! Take care, Alan

Thanks, Alan! Yeah, Dusty can cover a couple of octaves without effort, and a few more notes than that with the high harmonies. He's ridiculous. Glad you liked it!

Originally Posted by floyd jane
DC, RW, DA...Y'all do Pop so well. Crisp clean tracks. Infectious. The vocals here seems a bit "too crisp" (opinion - and just a bit). My thought was "warmer" but that might not work. I so enjoy your Pop. You show off BIAB well. fj

Floyd, thanks for the listen. I do tend to prefer brighter vocals, especially with Dusty's character-rich voice. But I also have high frequency hearing loss (as many of us do or will) so have to be careful not to overcompensate. Using reference tracks and several listening environments helps, but isn't perfect. Will give it a closer listen. Appreciate the input!

Originally Posted by Birchwood
Hi Ron and co-workers, Very nice popsong with a catchy chorus! Nice to see how all your songs have a 'delicious' chorus that invites to sing along. I liked a lot what I heard. Great work, Hans

Hans, thank you for the input! My lyricist does a great job crafting "song-ready" lyrics with hooks built in. My job is to use them, and I do try to make his hooks fun to sing. Glad it worked! Truth is, I tend to post our hookier songs since I think they are the cooler listening experiences. We're a slave to our meager (but awesome) audience. Ha!

Originally Posted by MarioD
When you three get together I know I'm in for a great song. Super vocal and lyrics with the perfect backing band all mixed to perfection. Outstanding pop song.

Mario, glad you liked it! Those guys are so good...really keeps the pressure on me. Ha!

Originally Posted by tommyad
Ron, everything works together very well in this one. The vocals are great as are the lyrics and production. A fine job by all three of you,Tom

Tommy, THANK YOU for the listen and input! Glad you liked it!

Originally Posted by rsdean
Ron, Great song and overall production. Sounds pro and radio-ready. Awesome mix! Bob

Bob, THANK YOU for the compliments! Even when the song is "done", I spend several days listening in 4-5 listening environments and tweaking the mix/master. I tend to work really fast until I get to the end, and then pump the brakes, knowing that I need to make that last turn safely. Glad you liked it!
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/15/24 04:39 PM
Nice and catchy pop song, guys.
A real toe tapper.
I love those harmonies, and the production is pretty good.
I'd probably put less reverb on the vocals, but that's my only (minor) nit.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/15/24 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
Nice and catchy pop song, guys. A real toe tapper. I love those harmonies, and the production is pretty good. I'd probably put less reverb on the vocals, but that's my only (minor) nit.

B.D., glad you liked it! Yeah, I've been trying to compensate for my preference for dry-ish vocals and may have gone too far. The vox FX chain includes both a tape delay and a plate reverb. I usually increase the tape delay mix until it starts to step on the vocal, then back off a smidge. Then I'll incrementally add plate reverb until it's just barely audible. This usually meets my need for a clean sounding vocal while providing a bit of pleasing ambience. But I may have left the delay a bit heavy. This is most noticeable to me (now) in the opening section. I do spend an inordinate amount of time on the vocal FX, and never feel I get them exactly right. THANKS for the input!!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/16/24 01:27 AM
Ron

Love that tight rockin' sound here!
Your chorus is really catchy and the vocals are wonderful (love the harmony work)
This is an awesome tune!
That bridge was a really creative turn in the song that is so effective! Excellent!

Thanks, TB
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/16/24 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Torrey Bliss
Ron Love that tight rockin' sound here! Your chorus is really catchy and the vocals are wonderful (love the harmony work) This is an awesome tune! That bridge was a really creative turn in the song that is so effective! Excellent! Thanks, TB

THANKS, Torrey! The bridge is my favorite part of a song to work on since it's usually the last piece in the musical jigsaw puzzle. It's very satisfying when it turns out. Glad you liked it!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/16/24 11:08 PM
I love that power pop sound. Cool bridge. Production is ace with the instrument spread.
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/17/24 11:58 AM
Great song. I was getting movie visuals as the lyrics told the tale.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/17/24 01:18 PM
Man, I am diggin' the songs of Davis, Hughes & Ron. A terrific collaboration of creative talent. Oh, yes, I've stared in this movie once -well, at least I had a supporting role. hehe An excellent grab-ya-and-don't-let-go song. Great story lyrics delivered in excellent voice. The melody grabs the listener, and the band brings it all together. Pro all the way.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/17/24 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ezekiel's Storm
I love that power pop sound. Cool bridge. Production is ace with the instrument spread.

Thanks, Ezekiel! Getting those four guitar tracks mixed took a lot of trial and error, and I'm still not convinced I got it right, but glad it worked for you!

Originally Posted by WaoBand
Great song. I was getting movie visuals as the lyrics told the tale.

Ha! Thanks, Chay! This one certainly has a music video running through my head.

Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Man, I am diggin' the songs of Davis, Hughes & Ron. A terrific collaboration of creative talent. Oh, yes, I've stared in this movie once -well, at least I had a supporting role. hehe An excellent grab-ya-and-don't-let-go song. Great story lyrics delivered in excellent voice. The melody grabs the listener, and the band brings it all together. Pro all the way.

Marty, glad you liked it! The theme of a romantic destiny "I just couldn't control" is pretty relatable, I think. But I have starred in my own version, so there's that...Ha!
Posted By: Fool's Gold Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/17/24 07:29 PM
What a great song!

Loved the structure, the way the verses chorus, and bridge sections interplay.

A real 'ear-worm' chorus and great production - I could easily buy into this. Thank you for the music!

Steve
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/18/24 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Fool's Gold
What a great song! Loved the structure, the way the verses chorus, and bridge sections interplay. A real 'ear-worm' chorus and great production - I could easily buy into this. Thank you for the music! Steve

Steve, thanks for the great review! Glad you liked it.
Posted By: firesong Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/18/24 08:35 PM
Ron...really nice pop/rock feel here...man I love D.A.'s vocals and the harmonies are top-notch...great use of the Real Tracks...this is a super mix! Really fun listen!
Posted By: rayc Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/18/24 09:46 PM
Things do get a little crisp at times.
this is a nice piece of countryish pop.
I did find, in the 1st verse, that some of the phrasing or cadence was a little stilted:
"That said meet me by the fountain &
Cos I was just a spectator" are the main ones.
Good band & mix.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/18/24 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by firesong
Ron...really nice pop/rock feel here...man I love D.A.'s vocals and the harmonies are top-notch...great use of the Real Tracks...this is a super mix! Really fun listen!

Dan, THANKS! Dusty is a not-so-secret weapon for sure. I'll listen to most songs acapella at some point just to fully appreciate all the little things he's doing. Glad you liked it!

Originally Posted by rayc
Things do get a little crisp at times.this is a nice piece of countryish pop. I did find, in the 1st verse, that some of the phrasing or cadence was a little stilted: "That said meet me by the fountain & Cos I was just a spectator" are the main ones. Good band & mix.

Ray, really appreciate the listen and your discerning comments. I often reach for riskier phrasing and/or cadences, just because that's where the fun is for me. I do recognize that there is risk in that. But in the best case, there is also reward. Maybe next time!
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/19/24 12:49 AM
A great production and this really shows what BiaB can do.
Job well done. I particularly liked the bridge.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/19/24 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
A great production and this really shows what BiaB can do. Job well done. I particularly liked the bridge.

Thanks, Steve! I'll post a song with more of my playing one day, and you'll see why I use so much BiaB. Ha!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/19/24 02:49 PM
Nice Ron!

You always have such a great pop sound!

Loved this.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/19/24 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by David Snyder
Nice Ron! You always have such a great pop sound! Loved this.

Thank you, David!
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/19/24 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Nice and catchy pop song, guys. A real toe tapper. I love those harmonies, and the production is pretty good. I'd probably put less reverb on the vocals, but that's my only (minor) nit.
This is most noticeable to me (now) in the opening section.
Yes, later on it's okay. Or maybe the ears will have adapted by then.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/20/24 12:50 AM
Hi, Ron.

I enjoy your pop songs, and this was no different.

Fun listen! smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/20/24 12:38 PM
Hi Ron,

I think you three rule the pop genre on this forum, your songs are always top notch.

Really well done, enjoyed!
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/20/24 05:22 PM
[Yes, later on it's okay. Or maybe the ears will have adapted by then.

Yeah, funny how the ears can do that.

Originally Posted by BlueAttitude
Hi Ron, I think you three rule the pop genre on this forum, your songs are always top notch. Really well done, enjoyed!

Why, thank you, Dave! Of course I'm not buying into it, given the level of musicianship is so high on this forum. But a nice thing to hear just the same. smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/20/24 08:28 PM
There’s no need to overly parse out this production. It is ALL good.
The vocals and the band session guys are great as is the arrangement.
Great use of BiaB tracks wrapped in an open/airy mix with plenty of dynamics.
The lyric imagery is very cool and the melody is bouncy and fun.

We much enjoyed it!

J&B

PS We found your comments to Bob regarding post mix activity interesting as we are the same way. We master with a reference song and listen to the results on several sound systems. BTW Bud has a severe high f loss also and has a custom “mixing program” for his hearing aids. smile
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/20/24 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by dcuny
Hi, Ron. I enjoy your pop songs, and this was no different. Fun listen! smile

Thanks, David!

Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
There’s no need to overly parse out this production. It is ALL good. The vocals and the band session guys are great as is the arrangement. Great use of BiaB tracks wrapped in an open/airy mix with plenty of dynamics. The lyric imagery is very cool and the melody is bouncy and fun. We much enjoyed it! J&B PS We found your comments to Bob regarding post mix activity interesting as we are the same way. We master with a reference song and listen to the results on several sound systems. BTW Bud has a severe high f loss also and has a custom “mixing program” for his hearing aids. smile

Janice and Bud, ya'll are too kind, BUT...so glad you enjoyed it! Interesting about Bud's mixing program, had no idea anything like that existed. Had forgotten ya'll were in Georgia. My whole family lives (or is buried) there. I'm the only one who left and never came back. Our son loves visiting though. He can't believe there's a place where people are so sincere and friendly. (Those are uncommon characteristics around here, sadly.) THANKS for the listen!!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/24/24 01:06 AM
Excellent song. Loved the kick. Right in the chest. Excellent groove, vocal and lyric. Well done
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/24/24 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Scott C
Excellent song. Loved the kick. Right in the chest. Excellent groove, vocal and lyric. Well done

Scott, glad you liked it, THANKS for the listen!
Posted By: Derochette Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/26/24 08:26 PM
Hi DC Ron,

Excellent composition with good musical rhythm. The mix is ​​very pleasant and it's very catchy. Well done I enjoyed it.

Jani
Posted By: vicarn Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/26/24 08:53 PM
You have a way with the '60's sound DC.
Some unusual lines in there but that's ok.

Vic
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/26/24 09:01 PM
You've got a really good pop sound going on there. I thought the mix and production was fantastic. Love the spread.

Brad
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/26/24 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Derochette
Hi DC Ron, Excellent composition with good musical rhythm. The mix is ​​very pleasant and it's very catchy. Well done I enjoyed it. Jani

Thanks, Jani! "Catchy" is what we're going for, so happy you were "caught".

Originally Posted by vicarn
You have a way with the '60's sound DC. Some unusual lines in there but that's ok. Vic

THANK YOU, Vic! I do love that for our lyricist, the rain in Spain doesn't fall mainly in the plains, if you know what I mean. Besides, if it weren't for my fondness of these sometimes offbeat lyrics, we wouldn't have any songs at all.

Originally Posted by Brad Williams
You've got a really good pop sound going on there. I thought the mix and production was fantastic. Love the spread. Brad

Glad you liked it, Brad! I really keep the mixes simple, with the vocals, bass and kick in the middle and everything else somewhere else. I'll pan guitars hard left and right if it's not a distraction.
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/27/24 02:48 AM
Great song, I like the vocals and the arrangement, I can still hear it in my head.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Got Too Close Tonight - 03/27/24 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ronnie Fields
Great song, I like the vocals and the arrangement, I can still hear it in my head.

Why, THANK YOU, Ronnie! Glad you liked it, seeing how you can still hear it. Hate it when a song I DON'T like gets stuck in my head. Ha!
© PG Music Forums