PG Music Home
Posted By: melodeo New Song: "Hats Off" - 01/30/11 03:35 AM
A little funky fusion with a few twists thrown in. RealTracks comes in real handy when you can't afford session players. Hope you like it!

www.facebook.com/aarkmusic

Mel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Hats Off" - 01/30/11 03:45 AM
Hi Mel,

Very creative! I thoroughly enjoyed the listen.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: rsdean Re: New Song: "Hats Off" - 01/30/11 04:05 AM
Mel, a real infectious beat! I liked the variation in the middle - very nice! Great job.

Bob
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: New Song: "Hats Off" - 01/30/11 08:22 AM
Hey Mel,

I thought that was cool. I really like how you left the guitar solo dry, (not something I do very often) but it really worked here. Was the guitar solo a RT? A very nice mix as well! Good Job!

Greg
Posted By: melodeo Re: New Song: "Hats Off" - 01/30/11 11:58 AM
I just noticed Peter's guidelines, and Greg asked the question about the guitar solo. So I'll provide a few production notes:

BIAB parts and styles: I typically create about 3x-4x as many parts (individual instruments) as I use and audition them, sometimes phrase by phrase, in Sonar. I cut and paste and edit until I get something I like. Impossible to recall what styles I used by this method, but I think most were ones I had created from MIDI phrases.

RealTracks: Guitar and sax solos. The guitar came together quickly "out of the box;" but the sax part took extensive editing and I still wasn't thrilled with it.

Played multiple parts, keyboard and guitar, but nothing consistently throughout. I'm more producer than player. I sometimes use loops for inspiration or to fill specific needs. In this case the opening piano part was a loop.

Software: Besides BIAB, used Sonar Home Studio, several soft synths (Sampletank, Sonik Synth, Dimension Pro, Stylus RMX, Alchemy Player, FM8), and various EFX.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mel
Posted By: Skyline Re: New Song: "Hats Off" - 01/31/11 10:02 AM
Mel, that's an extremely good track and I loved it!
I'm a big fan of Four80East and I was hearing a lot of them in that piece, especially some of the excellent production moves - or am I way off?
Great stuff!

John
Posted By: melodeo Re: New Song: "Hats Off" - 01/31/11 02:36 PM
Well, John, you introduced me to a band I wasn't familiar with. But I have long listened to similar music (Special EFX was a favorite), so I'm sure the influence is there. Thanks for the feedback!

Mel
Posted By: Mick Emery Re: New Song: "Hats Off" - 01/31/11 03:46 PM
That's one heck of a production!
Great job!
Amazing how you can bring BIAB to "live".

Mick
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song: "Hats Off" - 01/31/11 04:13 PM
Hi Mel,

Very nice production. Obviously a lot of work went into this. Great work!

Steve
© PG Music Forums