PG Music Home
Posted By: kindofblue Satin Doll - 10/17/15 05:45 AM
I've tried to do a recording of an old classic from Duke Ellington
Recording
Please feel free to leave your comments and criticism

kindofblue
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Satin Doll - 10/17/15 08:56 AM
This is one of my favorite swing era songs. You played it well. I'd suggest getting closer to the mic and turning the gain down. There's too much air in the sax track.

I look forward to hearing your next project. Keep it up.

SpaceDog
Posted By: boehm Re: Satin Doll - 10/17/15 11:17 AM
Hi Robert,

nice playing.
I enjoyed my listen.

Guenter
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Satin Doll - 10/17/15 02:42 PM
Isch guet!! Du hesch dini Ovmaltine heut scho gha, moll?

Bet you never thought you'd hear that on the PG Forum. Bet I have it completely wrong and you live in Geneva.

Anyway, work on that sax, man, that embouchure, strive for tone, tighten it up, your sound needs to be more focused, less potato-ey and more like the thing you cut the potato with. Welcome to the Forum and ciao mittenand!

Aleck Rand
Posted By: MarioD Re: Satin Doll - 10/17/15 02:54 PM
I like this song but listen to what Aleck said.

BiaB is a great practicing tool isn't it.

PS - I though it was illegal to post covers unless you paid for the right to do so. Has that changed?
Posted By: kindofblue Re: Satin Doll - 10/17/15 05:47 PM
Hi Aleck,
I'm from the east part of Switzerland. Therefore swiss-german is my mothertongue and I do understand the Ovomaltine smile
How do you know some of my language? Do you have roots here?

To my recording:
First, I don't want to sound like a sharp knife. My imagination is the warm mellow tone of the fifties. So I've tried to get my embouchure on this behalf.
Second, I find recording very frustrating. It always sounds shallow. Just like playing in a box and the Mikrophone outside.
Third and lastly, I'm using RB for recording. It's too complicated for me (using the EQ and all of this). So my work after the recording is very limited.
Thank you for listening and criticising.

kindofblue
Posted By: kindofblue Re: Satin Doll - 10/17/15 05:49 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
PS - I though it was illegal to post covers

Sorry but in my language we don't have this word "illegal" in our vocabulary.

kindofgreetings
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Satin Doll - 10/17/15 06:44 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I like this song but listen to what Aleck said.

BiaB is a great practicing tool isn't it.

PS - I though it was illegal to post covers unless you paid for the right to do so. Has that changed?
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Satin Doll - 10/17/15 08:09 PM
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
This is one of my favorite swing era songs. You played it well. I'd suggest getting closer to the mic and turning the gain down. There's too much air in the sax track.

I look forward to hearing your next project. Keep it up.

SpaceDog

Have to agree with my main dog! Sax sounds very nicely played but kind of muffled. You may look into an Audio Technica ATM-35 ($120)-records sax beautifully! Enjoyed this! Thanks for posting. Take care. Greg
Posted By: SRP Re: Satin Doll - 10/18/15 12:05 AM
Hi, welcome to the forum. I think that your playing ability is very good and smooth. I was not new to recording when I purchased my first BIAB software, but I spent quite a bit of time learning the software and mostly what I was capable of doing with it. I think in time that you will greatly improve with all the technical stuff and it will not seem so complicated.
Good job.
Sonny
© PG Music Forums