PG Music Home
Posted By: SRP Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/12/15 12:03 PM
Rock n Roll has always been a favorite genre of mine since I grew up in the 50’s & 60’s. My first band was formed by me and my best friend Hulus Key back in 1962 (I have another song about that subject). I thought that a small collage of songs would be interesting to do to remember that era. I decided to post the first photo of my first band that was taken in 1962 by my dad. The beginning will immediately make you think of a particular song but that’s where it ends. Thanks to BIAB for creating a magnificent piece of software to allow us to make music at a fraction of the cost of doing it the conventional way. As always I used RealTracks and Daniel Hensley on the vocals.

Remembering Rock and Roll

Down in Louisiana close to New Orleans
He met a young girl who was sweet sixteen
Good golly miss molly it wasn’t Peggy Sue
But that’s all right it was Susie Q

Let’s dance, shake rattle and roll
Let’s dance, let the good times roll
Rocking around the clock and they didn’t tire
Goodness gracious great balls of fire

Let’s dance, shake rattle and roll
Let’s dance, let the good times roll
Rocking around the clock and they didn’t tire
Goodness gracious great balls of fire

Style - _TBLZRAS.sty
Drums - Blues rock ev - Shannon Forrest
Bass - 1750 - Electric - Texas blues rock n roll - Dave Francis
Piano - 1565 - Acoustic - Rock n roll - John Jarvis
Guitar 1 - 884 - Electric rhythm - Texas blues rock low - Mike Durham
Guitar 2 - 881 - Electric rhythm - Texas blues rock high - Sandy Williams
Solo Guitar - 1725 - Electric soloist - Texas blues rock n roll - Sol Philcox
Solo Sax - 1951 - Alto soloist - Texas blues rock n roll - Mark Douthit

HP AMD Athlon(tm)II B28 processor with 3.4 GHz 16GB ram - Mixcraft 6 DAW with Waves Diamond effects - 32" Westinghouse flat screen monitor - Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 interface - Studio Projects B1 mic Sony MDR 7506 and Sennheiser HD 202 headphones - 2014 BIAB.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/12/15 01:03 PM
Rock and Rollll , Sonny and Daniel, This is a foot-tapping throwback tribute to the good ol days. Nicely put together. I have to say that I didn't think the intro guitar was the right fit. The sax was perfect. That is such a great real track. Everything sounded really good and it is a nice little write for this type of medley. I just thought the lead guitar wasn't quite right, however I enjoyed the listen and knocked out the rhythm the whole time. Tom
Posted By: boehm Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/12/15 01:16 PM
Hi Sonny,

a heartening tribute to Rock 'n' Roll.
Daniel is a great singer. I especially
like the background vocals.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Al-David Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/12/15 01:16 PM
50's & 60's rock is also one of my favorites genres. Your vocals are strong and spot on ... nicely done! And the sax was killer. Loved the arrangement and chord progression. I agree with Tom about the intro guitar. It comes across as too modern for the rest of the song. Everything else in the song is a perfect fit for the late 50's & early 60's. But the intro guitar sounds more like 70's Metal. That all said, great song and a super listen. enjoyed it a bunch!

Al
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/12/15 02:56 PM
Sonny (And Daniel),

Another terrific listen.

Excellent vocals (again).

Everything sounds good, but, as Tom and Alan said, the guitar solos don't fit. If you cannot find the right RT solo, there are a number of good guitarist right here in the forum. Tom seems mighty busy these days writing and recording killer songs. But Herb has offered a number of times to do some soloing - why not ask him to give it a try...

I am enjoying your musical journey.

Love that picture - wish we could see it bigger...

floyd
Posted By: DEddy Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/12/15 03:25 PM
"I agree with Tom about the intro guitar. It comes across as too modern for the rest of the song. Everything else in the song is a perfect fit for the late 50's & early 60's. But the intro guitar sounds more like 70's Metal."

I agree, that the guitar did not sound like the 50's. I like the lyrics though. Still nicely done (vocals are great).

DE
Posted By: SRP Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/12/15 04:10 PM
I would like to thank everyone for visiting my post and I do appreciate all the comments that I have
received from all of you (very professional and courteous). I do need to explain what I was trying to do with this song (comments about the lead guitar -well received and understood ) for my intentions were to take this song from a modern viewpoint with modern instruments and look back and remember some of the oldies but goodie songs as the band is playing live to a modern audience. I am sure that some of you have done this or have experienced this from other bands. I have already done a pure sound (as close as I could get) with the song 1957 to really depict that actual time period. Sorry for the confusion. I will try and do better next time.
Sonny
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/12/15 07:58 PM
Smoking!!!!!!!!!! No need for deep analysis on this one. I know it's only rock and roll but I like it!!!!! Yes I do.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/12/15 09:37 PM
Enjoyed this. Real rock and roll is back again.

If only radio stations would listen to W-BnB --- the world would become normal again.
Posted By: gibson Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/12/15 11:34 PM
Sonny,

you and Daniel are a great team.
Great 60's vibe and I too questioned the guitar but then I read your other post and went yeh, I've done that and now see what you were trying to achieve.
Either way I enjoyed the song a lot
Quote:
I will try and do better next time.
Please stand in the corner and write that 100 times just like Bart in the Simpsons grin laugh smile

Alyn
ps great picture of your 1962 band, the earliest picture of me in a band is 1966, also taken by my Dad
Posted By: PeterF Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/13/15 01:06 AM
Sonny
Liked the song - great vocal clever write.
I'd be happy to play a couple of solos(although I understand what you were doing and you probably want to keep it that way) - not sure how the collaboration thing works though.
Perhaps Floyd or someone who has been here longer could give details about how they share files and make contact etc (Dropbox?).
Anyway good song.
Posted By: SRP Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/13/15 01:23 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Smoking!!!!!!!!!! No need for deep analysis on this one. I know it's only rock and roll but I like it!!!!! Yes I do.

Thanks David, Daniel liked doing this one also. He use to be a singing waiter at the Chattanooga Choo Choo restaurant and he said they did some old rock n roll songs there and that he enjoyed doing it.
Sonny
Posted By: SRP Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/13/15 01:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Enjoyed this. Real rock and roll is back again.

If only radio stations would listen to W-BnB --- the world would become normal again.

Charlie I think you may have something there! Thanks for listening.
Sonny
Posted By: SRP Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/13/15 01:30 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Sonny,

you and Daniel are a great team.
Great 60's vibe and I too questioned the guitar but then I read your other post and went yeh, I've done that and now see what you were trying to achieve.
Either way I enjoyed the song a lot
Quote:
I will try and do better next time.
Please stand in the corner and write that 100 times just like Bart in the Simpsons grin laugh smile

Alyn
ps great picture of your 1962 band, the earliest picture of me in a band is 1966, also taken by my Dad

Ha! I like that! or maybe 100 lashes with a wet noodle.
I also have a color photo made a year later with one change in personel. I plan to use it on another song later.
Thanks Alyn!
Posted By: SRP Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/13/15 01:51 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Sonny
Liked the song - great vocal clever write.
I'd be happy to play a couple of solos(although I understand what you were doing and you probably want to keep it that way) - not sure how the collaboration thing works though.
Perhaps Floyd or someone who has been here longer could give details about how they share files and make contact etc (Dropbox?).
Anyway good song.

Hey I think it would great to have you and everyone else who plays a guitar do their solo on this song and we can post the results for everyone to hear! Yeah, that would be so interesting to hear the different results and styles. If you are ok with this I will get the ball rolling.
Sonny
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/13/15 05:34 AM

Nice compilation of hits

I have got all that in my records collection

Great voice as usual.

Sergio
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Remembering Rock and Roll - 11/13/15 01:47 PM
Rock as it was intended!!

'nuff said. We look forward to hearing what any of the forum
guitarists might add.

Thanks for the excuse to crank up the monitors and kick back.

J&B
© PG Music Forums