PG Music Home
Posted By: Carolyne Bye Bye Blackbird - 04/29/16 01:27 AM
So as I fret over the final touches on "Pray It Forward" for the 3rd time, I decided to take a little break and do something fun. Here is a cover, written by Ray Henderson and Mort Dixon that many of you will probably recognize.

I used JSWINGP.Sty featuring the best of the best for jazz (my humble opinion).
Miles Black -piano, Neil Swainson- bass, Terry Clarke on what else…, drums and P.J. Perry on tenor added to mix for good measure.

Speaking of P J Perry, I'd like to share a story. Over the years, I have had the honor of working with a master, multi-faceted musician by the name of, Noel Jewkes. While reeds are his main instruments of choice, Noel plays piano, bass, and on occasion, I’ve heard him play trumpet (???) all with equal proficiency. I asked him to transcribe one of my BIAB tracks (Ain’t Got Nothing But The Blues) so it could be played live, which he did brilliantly. While listening to the recording, he asked me who was on alto sax. I replied PJ Perry to which he then asked, “When was he in town?” Cracked me up!
But as I was saying... In case you haven’t noticed, I love to sing ballads. All singers want to be crooners on some level. Performing ballads with BIAB/RB, particularly very slow ballads, can and often presents a challenge because generally, for small bands without arrangements, the effect of the music is nuanced by the presence of the performer playing off the band. When I perform live, I feed off the band and vice versa. That dynamic, to a great degree, is lost with predetermined chord progressions. BUT, one area where BIAB/RB is just over the top, again my opinion, is when it comes to jazz swing. It was great fun listening to BIAB/RB play in the groove on Bye Bye Blackbird. Hope you like it.
-Carolyne

https://soundcloud.com/carolyne-swayze/bye-bye-blackbird

Licensed to Carolyne Swayze through Harry Fox Agency for Limited Quantity PDD and Interactive streaming OBO Ray Henderson Music Co., and Bughouse Music. All rights reserved.
- Carolyne
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 04/29/16 08:49 AM
Beautiful interpretation and performance Carolyne. Enjoyed this.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 04/29/16 11:03 AM
Very nicely done, Carolyne.

An enjoyable listen. Good mix.

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 04/29/16 01:02 PM
Hi Carolyne,

great performance.
That's exactly your cup of tea.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 04/29/16 03:06 PM
Really great!!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 04/30/16 05:41 AM
Hello, Carolyne

Good swing and cool scat.
While drinking Scotch, I certainly want to listen to your vocals in live at the club such as the Blue Note.
In our district, there are many jazz club, where I sometimes go. Blue Note Nagoya is the best jazz club in them, but a little bit expensive.
Very enjoyable listen.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Carolyne Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 05/01/16 12:28 PM
Thanks everybody. It was just for fun.
-Carolyne
Posted By: DianaGoulart Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 05/01/16 02:15 PM
I love your voice and interpretation! Congrats!!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 05/02/16 01:24 AM
You know I'm a big fan!! Very sweet. You have a great jazz soul-"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing"!! Loved it! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 05/03/16 01:06 PM
Carolyne! You da MA'AM! That was AWESOME!

I especially liked the change-up from your low-key bass plus vocals intro to the full band! And as has already been mentioned the scat is also very good... something you just don't hear in today's music! Keep it alive!

And your arrangement here is also downright masterful! I tried to find something to criticize, and it just ain't there! This is just so good! You certainly couldn't have picked a better band, and you done 'em all proud with every aspect of this projects, from your choice of chords to your vocal interpretation!

My hat is off and my hands are applauding! Standing O !
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 05/03/16 03:43 PM
Cool...in the true sense of the word. Got some Ella stuff
going here!

Wonderful vocal backed with a smoooooth band of
the PG Players.

Super!

J&B
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 05/03/16 04:05 PM

Great performance.
I didn't know this song; very nice.

Sergio
Posted By: Carolyne Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 05/03/16 07:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
You know I'm a big fan!! Very sweet. You have a great jazz soul-"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing"!! Loved it! Take care. Greg

doo wa, doo wa, doo wa, doo wa ;-D
Posted By: Carolyne Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 05/03/16 07:45 PM
Thanks Pat,
This was fun to do.
-Carolyne
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Bye Bye Blackbird - 05/07/16 01:04 PM
Silky smooth groove, so nice. Great vocals.

Kenny
© PG Music Forums