PG Music Home
This is an updated "Leaning" for critique.
Too much drums and couple of bad notes, for starters.

Leaning -- workflow revision 10/13/16
Ed,

As I remember this is a recording of your students playing?
( Its a good idea to remind listeners who may have missed your other posts).
I`m not really qualified to critique the playing... but just wanted to say I love the feeling of the piece.
Lovely - one of my favourite hymns.

Robert
Originally Posted By: edshaw
This is an updated "Leaning" for critique.
Too much drums and couple of bad notes, for starters.

Leaning -- workflow revision 10/13/16

yes, please provide more info..... what tracks are used, who's playing the live stuff....how and on what software/hardware, was this recorded? Feel free to add anything else that would help us help you.

and.. what kind of critique are you looking for? Go easy.... hit hard with the truth..... playing....
recording techniques..... production...... since you're new and this could be a student.... it would be nice to know the details and exactly what you're wanting from a critique.

Normally, I don't ask.... I simply state it as I hear it when someone asks for a critique.
Hey Ed_Shaw, fantastic work! I find this sounds very peaceful and easy to listen to. Great work so far keep it up! smile
Hi Ed. The first thing that strikes me is the RTs are dry, and the live tracks have quite a bit of reverb. There are minimal fills in the drums which make them "less live". I would try to make the drums a little more interesting, maybe add some percussion, take some verb off the live tracks and add a bit to the drums to make the track sound like it is all in the same space. Just some thoughts. Nice work!! Take care. Greg
How gratifying to receive those responses. This idea of criticism, give and take, is a great feature, with even more potential. I was negligent:
1) Tascam DP30SD 8 track
2) Electro-Voice vocal mike & PRS Santana. (The guitar signal is unmodified originally)
3) Band in a Box 2015 Hank -- Mute steel, hush piano, hush rhythm, before rendering to WAV. That's the only real modification of the 6 BB tracks. Looking for a soft accompany.
4) Load BB Wav mix to tracks 1 & 2 on the recorder,
drag, drop and import.
5) With headphones, play the rhythm track on #3
6) " " " play the bass track on #4
7) Pay lead melodies on #5 and #6
8) Leave #7 and #8 for vocal.
9) Enhance each track a little, if needed, using built in EQ, Comp, Reverb and echo. That's where the annoying reverb came from. My ear didn't pick it up.
10) Mix and Master
11) Transfer to High end Digital recorder (line in)
12) Create a folder. Drag Mix from folder into SONY Acid
13) Adjust and export to Wav.
14) Upload to Soundcloud.

Whew, that's a lot for one post. Sure, I am looking for the candid critique. Yes, all live tax are my own. The vocals are church members I work with live. I don't know what RT is or how to make the drums sound better. I think they are too loud, for one.
Now, If I could just find someone like Josie to get interested in karaoke-ing them....I do have "Just a
Closer Walk.
Thanks, Greg. All good thoughts.
Hi Ed ...

I went to listen, but it said the track had been removed.I'll check back later. Be safe!

Alan
© PG Music Forums