PG Music Home
Posted By: edshaw Sweet Bye and Bye - 11/15/16 01:36 AM
Sweet Bye and Bye w/ words on screen

I'm wondering if it might be too much to expect.
I can add a melody instrumental track.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Sweet Bye and Bye - 11/15/16 03:36 AM
Thanks for the post Ed,

I'm not quite sure about the associated comments.

Are you asking if it possible to add an instrumental on the melody track?
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sweet Bye and Bye - 11/15/16 09:10 AM
Yes, you can add a melody but you will have to play it on a midi instrument if you expect the melody to be that of the old gospel song. In other words, a live human has to be behind the playing of the melody in some shape or form.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Sweet Bye and Bye - 11/21/16 03:54 PM
Thanks for the listens and comments.
What I had in mind with my question is, "Is there enough material and will it be clear enough to a congregation just how the words and the backing track go together, or will they get confused as to where the accents and chord changes first in the lyrics.
I think, maybe, an introductory instrumental play through would solve it, but not sure I want to go that direction.
Do you think I should keep developing with the Hank Real style?
Thx 'gin.
Posted By: Tobias Re: Sweet Bye and Bye - 11/21/16 09:33 PM
I would get confused unless someone else, such as yourself, lead the vocals since you know where they go. If you play this music track with lyrics on the screen "and" you, or someone, leads the singing, I would certainly join in and follow you.
One problem you might run into is; once the congregation joins in, the vocal leader might loose his/her place in the song due to the track being drowned out by the group singing. For this reason I would not lead the singing from a pew. I would lead from the front with the track playing in my own monitor.
If you want an instrument to lead the melody line without vocals you might try mixing in a piano where the left hand plays chords with bass and have the right hand play mostly melody. This would make it more familiar with a traditional congregation following a song lead by piano. Or, any single line melody instrument that stands out tonally or has a good amount of mid-range and up frequencies will do so long as it does not sound too much like an actual human voice. Pads and many organs would be bad. Oboe, violin, piano or electric piano might work. It has to stand out without having to make it too loud in the mix. You would have this track supporting the whole thing.
Alternately you could record yourself, or someone else on BIABs audio track or a DAW.
Posted By: Tobias Re: Sweet Bye and Bye - 11/21/16 09:49 PM
You can find a piano midi file of "In The Sweet Bye and Bye" with right hand chord melody here;

http://breadsite.org/classic.htm

"In The Sweet Bye And Bye"

The second one sounds pretty good to me. Right click on it, save file as, MIDI sequence, save in where you can find it.
Open it by itself in RealBand, transpose it to the key of your BIAB version and set the tempo to match. Insert bars at the beginning so it starts to match your BIAB file. Save it as an SEQ file so you don't loose your edits. When you want to try it against your BIAB version export it as a midi file as one midi track. Save it with a different name such as Sweet92bpm88bars.MID, import that into the melody track in BIAB. From there you will see what changes you need to make to either the SEQ file in RB or changes you your SGU file in BIAB.

That should get you started if you choose to do it this way.

Posted By: edshaw Re: Sweet Bye and Bye - 11/23/16 01:54 PM
Thanks, Tobias. Yes, that is exactly what I meant.
The pastors wife made the comment, "Are you going to lead the singing?" and I took it to mean the timing and rhythm of the song was such that it was not immediately
apparent how to sing it, even though it is a well known song.
Thank you for the in depth instructions and the link to that midi site. Tell the truth, my Real Band got dumped by a phony security offer and, though BB support assures me I can easily download a fresh copy, any midi work now goes to Garage Band, which is all right, but that moves me into cross platform issues I would rather not.
So, thanks. I'll have my hands full working through the process you outlined, but seems worth the effort.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Sweet Bye and Bye - 12/09/16 09:55 PM
Hi edshaw, Excellent song! I really like the progression and the guitar tone, Are you going to be posting a vocal version? Keep up the good work! smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Sweet Bye and Bye - 12/09/16 10:13 PM
Really good answer Tobias.

Nice sounding tracks Ed!!

Would love to hear the version two!!

smile
© PG Music Forums