PG Music Home
Posted By: Soundchaser Jeff's Waltz - 12/28/19 09:42 AM
OK, now that you've encouraged me, this was my first shot at something a little country, ever. A slow country-ish instrumental. https://soundcloud.com/rtk-iv/jeffs-waltz

This was my first shot altogether with Real Band, about 3 years back. My computer didnt like the software, so I upgraded, and now I'm ready for more projects.

Used reacomp on some of the instruments, and ambient for reverb. Here's a pic of RTs used.

Thanks, and I would appreciate some critical input as to the recording, effects. and that stuff. I'm fairly new in my learning curve.
Jeff

Attached picture Jeff's Waltz.jpg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Jeff's Waltz - 12/28/19 11:25 AM
Jeff,

A pleasant listen. A good choice of instruments for this style of instrumental.

The balance (levels) in the mix is good for the most part. The drums could be slightly louder.

You might consider panning some thing "less hard". Particularly your lead instruments. Having them off-center a bit is fine (since you have leads on both sides), but if you pan them "just some" - maybe 25% to a side (instead of 100%), it would give a better balance for the ears. All subjective, of course.

fj
Posted By: Soundchaser Re: Jeff's Waltz - 12/28/19 11:46 AM
And all appreciated, thank you! I was thinking the same when I listened to this again this morning. Probably a little comp and lower in the lead instruments as well.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Jeff's Waltz - 12/28/19 01:14 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Jeff,

A pleasant listen. A good choice of instruments for this style of instrumental.

The balance (levels) in the mix is good for the most part. The drums could be slightly louder.

You might consider panning some thing "less hard". Particularly your lead instruments. Having them off-center a bit is fine (since you have leads on both sides), but if you pan them "just some" - maybe 25% to a side (instead of 100%), it would give a better balance for the ears. All subjective, of course.

fj

I agree with Floyd.

I will add that I think this is an excellent tune and with a little polish it would be fantastic. Very nice guitar work here. Maybe add a little reverb on the guitar leads?
Posted By: dani48 Re: Jeff's Waltz - 12/28/19 05:46 PM
Hi, Jeff !

What a lovely country tune
you´ve composed ! Liked it !

Keep up the good work !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Jim Re: Jeff's Waltz - 12/29/19 04:37 PM
Nice country waltz...
You certainly play guitar very well...

The only technical detail I might add is only minor one...
The fade at the ending doesn't seem to fade smoothly to silence.

You might be able to slow the tempo on the last bar...
So you have more fade room...
This can be done in Biab...
But its probably easier to do in Audacity...
If you haven't got Audacity, check it out...
Its free!
Posted By: Soundchaser Re: Jeff's Waltz - 12/29/19 08:29 PM
Thanks for that. Much appreciated. The one I posted was a remix I did this morning, using the other useful pointers from this post. And I forgot the fade! Mixing is like an unfinished painting! Love audacity, if for nothing else than the fades and the free mp3 conversion.
Posted By: rayc Re: Jeff's Waltz - 12/29/19 11:23 PM
Soundchaser,
the melody seems pretty cool. The suggestions above are all good ones.
I'd add - bring the kick drum or snare up to the same level as the bass, (I know it's a stereo drum file but listen to either of those elements as the guide), and have both solidly centred in your mix.
Balancing/panning the rest will be easier after those two and in concert & occupying the middle ground.
© PG Music Forums