PG Music Home
Hello fellow shelterers and music lovers! Hope you are all doing well in these crazy times. I apologize in advance for posting a depressing song. Since I started on this forum, there are many times Al David's songs have immediately captured my attention. He has a great feel for putting music together, and comes up with intriguing titles. A few times, I have stolen his title, his band, and a few chord changes to act as a catalyst for a song. This one, instrumental with the same title, he posted sometime back. I loved the title and rolled with it. Collaboration is a lot of fun.....Bacharach had Hal David, and for this song, I got Al David. Hope you enjoy!! Take care and stay safe! Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/eternaltwilight
Hi Greg ...

I am always super-excited when you've posted one of our collabs. I'm certainly no Hal David ... he has quite a few more numbers before the decimal point in his bank account. Also, I can only admire his talent from afar. BTW, he and I are not related ... dang!

You just have a way with anything musical you touch. You took one of my half=way decent instrumentals and turned it into a piece of musical magic with your great lyric and amazing vocal. It's sad that the rest of the world doesn't hear your fabulous talent ... we, on these forums, are so privileged to hear you at will with a simple click of the mouse.

It's been a pleasure working with you on the 4 or 5 collabs we've done. Hope we do a few more ... or a lot more! You're a wonderful singer/lyricist and one heck of a nice guy. Again, many thanks for this. Wishing you and yours the very best. Be safe, my friend ...

Alan

PS: Hope you're enjoying retirement!!!!
Wow! This is great!

The track is perfect, love the arrangement, such a great groove. Sax sounds good, so does the guitar.

And that vocal! Man, so good ....

Really, really good guys!
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Wow! This is great!

The track is perfect, love the arrangement, such a great groove. Sax sounds good, so does the guitar.

I had to repeat what Dave said. I think I quote him more than anyone - he often says JUST what I was thinking...

This is Gorgeous!!

Beautiful Music.
INCREDIBLE Song Writing - your way with words is truly astounding.
A "sexy" melody. Gorgeous.

One of your all-time-best vocals. Cool BGVs. And a silky mix. Nice ending.

Y'all should both be VERY proud.

WOW. WOW. WOW.

fj
Wonderful collaboration, Alan and Greg! You are top songwriters and this highlights the perfect mix of your talents. Such a beautiful melancholy melody and chording, deeply touching lyrics, smooth band and Greg's heavenly voice (including those backing vocals). Eternal Twilight is also a great title and sounds like the sax player has known it beforehand.

Janne
Supergood, I've listened to this almost ten times now. Everything about it, nonpareil.
Another awesome tune. Super collaboration. Loved the vocal Greg. Awesome lyric and backtrack. Just loved the guitar and sax as well. Just a beautiful song..
Greg,
What a collaboration- you`ve taken a cool instrumental from a master and delivered a haunting song with one of your best vocal performances.
Love the bgv and the sax.
Very good!

Robert
Sounds great guys!

Sweet and mellow!
This is just so well produced and delivered.

An excellent performance, all the way through.

Vocally brilliant and expressive.

And yes, Mr David is way up there with his musical abilities.

Smooth. Loved it.
Wow! This is great!

I couldn't say it any better. This is absolutely fantastic.

This is as good as anything that Bacharach and Hal David did!

You both should be extremely proud of this one.

PS - you should put out an EP or a CD of songs like this. I know that I would buy it!
Greg and Alan
Terrific collaboration, guys. Great lyrics perfectly matched to a lovely, melancholy tune.
Regards,
Leon
What a sweet song. Those vocals are so smooth. The lyrics are outstanding. Lovely music. This song is like something from the best of the 70's. Congratulations to you both. I really like this.
Greg,

Very nice song!
Sweet vocals!
I feel Boz Scaggs more than David-Bacharach in this tune.
Great sound!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Greg,

Amazing!

Don't think I need to add any more (other than I agree with all those comments above).

Okay - that's one heck of a vocal.

Peter
Hi Greg,

I don't know what compliments I can add to those you already received. But I really loved the melody and the way you sang it with those different vocals in the chorusses. I can imagine it wasn't easy to record and mix it like you did, so well done!

Hans
Simply stunning--the music, arrangement, production, vocal.

With this song, I feel like I'm sitting in a leather chair by the fireplace with a mug of mulled wine.

I'm going back for another listen.
Nice expression of lost love.
Well done!
Thanks to everyone for the very nice comments. And yes ... Greg is the real star of this show. What a voice! And such a great lyricist. Greg Johnson is one of the very best friends a song can have. There aren't many feelings better than getting an email from Greg Johnson saying he'd like to put a lyric to your music and then he does and sings it better than anyone else could ever hope to sing it. I've played guitar behind some pretty big names ... but Greg wanting to work on several my songs is among my very best musical privileges.

Alan

Superb everything.
Truly.
And I particularly enjoyed the bass.
Cheers.
What a wonderful collaboration. Greg, you know how much I love your songs, and Al is right about how blessed we in this forum are to hear them. (Although I disagree with his assessment of the a person's worth is their bank account. hehe, I KNOW you didn't mean it that way, AL.)

Anyway, this is a wonderful nod to the talents of Al David. God, but that IS a sad song for such a beautiful voice, Greg. "She brought me colors my life had never known." You really know how to tell a story.
Hi Marty ... I wasn't equating Hal David's worth to his wealth ... just that an easy way to tell us apart is where that decimal point is. Bacharach & David is one of the greatest music composing teams in the history of music. Sorry if I left a negative impression by my original comment ... humor attempt gone bad!

But I sure do thank you for your kind words about the song! Wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Marty ... I wasn't equating Hal David's worth to his wealth ... just that an easy way to tell us apart is where that decimal point is. Bacharach & David is one of the greatest music composing teams in the history of music. Sorry if I left a negative impression by my original comment ... humor attempt gone bad!

But I sure do thank you for your kind words about the song! Wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan

Haha. Alan, I KNEW that. It's just my pedantic way of pointing out how words can be misconstrued. You KNOW I love you, brother. [I once recorded at Scepter Records and played the piano Bacharach played.]
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Greg ...

I am always super-excited when you've posted one of our collabs. I'm certainly no Hal David ... he has quite a few more numbers before the decimal point in his bank account. Also, I can only admire his talent from afar. BTW, he and I are not related ... dang!

You just have a way with anything musical you touch. You took one of my half=way decent instrumentals and turned it into a piece of musical magic with your great lyric and amazing vocal. It's sad that the rest of the world doesn't hear your fabulous talent ... we, on these forums, are so privileged to hear you at will with a simple click of the mouse.

It's been a pleasure working with you on the 4 or 5 collabs we've done. Hope we do a few more ... or a lot more! You're a wonderful singer/lyricist and one heck of a nice guy. Again, many thanks for this. Wishing you and yours the very best. Be safe, my friend ...

Alan

PS: Hope you're enjoying retirement!!!!

It was a pleasure Alan! You have a knack for finding the magic groove!! Take care and stay safe. Give my best to Di. Greg
Greg & Alan,
This is one of the best Pop Rock tunes I have heard this year!
Done very tastefully. So much talent! Beautiful.
P.S. My wife is very critical of new music, but even she said it was very well done smile
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Wow! This is great!

Thanks so much Dave! Loved your latest one!! And just about everything you post. Take care. Greg
Silky smooth...cool jazz club feel.

If the vocals weren't so good the sax would steal the show.

Everything with the production is focused on the excellent melancholy lyric
and that focus delivers...big time.

You guys have a synergy -- stick with it!

J&B
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Wow! This is great!

I had to repeat what Dave said. I think I quote him more than anyone - he often says JUST what I was thinking...

This is Gorgeous!!

Beautiful Music.
INCREDIBLE Song Writing - your way with words is truly astounding.
A "sexy" melody. Gorgeous.

One of your all-time-best vocals. Cool BGVs. And a silky mix. Nice ending.

Y'all should both be VERY proud.

WOW. WOW. WOW.

fj

Thanks so much Floyd! I'm alway flattered to get such a nice review from the Godfather of the forum! You're killing it lately....even more so!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Wonderful collaboration, Alan and Greg! You are top songwriters and this highlights the perfect mix of your talents. Such a beautiful melancholy melody and chording, deeply touching lyrics, smooth band and Greg's heavenly voice (including those backing vocals). Eternal Twilight is also a great title and sounds like the sax player has known it beforehand.

Janne

Thanks so much Janne! I always enjoy your music.....so creative with melodies! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Supergood, I've listened to this almost ten times now. Everything about it, nonpareil.

Thanks so much!! I really appreciate your support of my music...means a lot to me! Take care. Greg
Greg and Al, this is stunningly gorgeous from the arrangement to the instrumental solos. The real star are the beautiful lyrics and the equally beautiful vocals. The expressive lead and the well placed backups are so great that I fail to find the words equal to how they made feel. Bravo boys, Tom
This is absolutely, absolutely, absolutely beautiful. I can tell (after having heard Greg and Al's songs for a while now on here, haha) both of your influences on this track from a mile away, haha ... and the fusion of musical genius is just perfect. Sad and uplifting at the same time, with a sprinkle of harmonies and vocals that just make one both melt and cry. Well done, both of you - what a song.
Loved it Marty well done
So tasteful. So professional. So sad.
Greg, this is one of your best out of a very impressive body of work.
The vocals, solo and background, are top shelf. The backing is just right.
Thanks for sharing this beauty.
Cheers,
Mike
PS Nice work too Al David - it's a beautiful melody.
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Another awesome tune. Super collaboration. Loved the vocal Greg. Awesome lyric and backtrack. Just loved the guitar and sax as well. Just a beautiful song..

Thanks Scott!! Just listened to a new really cool one from you and Robert! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums