PG Music Home
Posted By: Deej56 Complete - 06/04/20 04:30 PM
Hey, everybody:

A solo effort this time . . . I had this melody and a written chorus around for a fairly long time, but it lingered lonely without a verse to go with, and I kept coming up empty. I finally pushed myself to finish it off and here’s the result. I don’t typically do love songs—at least not very well. —but I hope this is worth the spin. Thanks for the listen and feedback.

My best to all of you,

Deej

Here’s the song:

COMPLETE

Here are the lyrics:

I thought I saw you first
from across the bar.
You were standing by the window
lit in neon like a star.
And when you said “Hello,”
I played it cool,
but despite all my bravado
I was the boy you saw right through.

You know I just don’t understand it . . .
Sometimes I think you always knew
that you—you’re everything I want,
the only thing I see.
And with you forever in my heart
I know I’ll always be
complete.

Have I been the love
you’ve always dreamed?
Have I given back to you
everything you’ve given me?
And if I’ve fallen short,
just know this much . . .
If I had a million lifetimes
I could never give enough.

You know I’ll never understand it,
just how you love me like you do.
And you—you’re everything I want,
the only thing I see.
I know I’ll always be
complete.

You know I’ll never understand it;
it don’t matter if I do . . .
and you—you’re everything I want,
the only thing I see.
I know I’ll always be
complete.

And here’s the band:

RealTracks 2960: Bass, Acoustic, SmoothBalladNeil Ev16 065
RealTracks 1690: Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPromise Ev16 100
RealTracks. 702: Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Spirited Ev 065
RealTracks 1004: Guitar, 12 String Acoustic Rhythm
RealTracks 1167: Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockBalladBrent Ev 065
RealDrums: ModernPopBallad16ths^01-a:Quiet hat, Sync-kick, b:Open hat, Sync-kick
Posted By: MarioD Re: Complete - 06/04/20 09:02 PM
Deej, you know what I think? I think that you should do more love songs. This is fantastic. Great backing tracks and a super vocals. This song has all of the elements that make a great song and this is a great song.
Posted By: TexasFrets Re: Complete - 06/05/20 05:26 AM
I love the sound of this. You have a wonderful voice. Really nice love song. Great job. Are all the parts BIAB or are you playing some of the guitar parts?
Posted By: Chris37 Re: Complete - 06/05/20 06:02 AM
Hi Deej,
This is a great song.
I always enjoy your voice and the guitars are so well found.
Congratulations. Christian
Posted By: rayc Re: Complete - 06/05/20 07:06 AM
Deej,
a REALLY good job of writing and singing. Nice arrangement.
There's an oddity though. I was listening and wondering at the extra percussion ticking away and realized it's the kick drum clicking so prominently that it sounds like a stick hit or wood block.
There doesn't seem to be any bottom to the kick in the mix just that click.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Complete - 06/05/20 07:30 AM
Excellent writing, and outstanding vocal! Maybe your best yet.

Good song, enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Complete - 06/05/20 10:36 AM
Just a lovely song, Deej!
Enjoyed all of it. Very good.
And what great vocals you have.
Did you had a sore throat afterwards?

All the best,
Hans
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Complete - 06/05/20 10:48 AM
Mario, TexasFrets, Chris, rayc, Dave and Hans:

Thanks for the listen and feedback. Very much appreciated. Hope you are all doing well!

TexasFrets: The song is all BIAB--I'm contributing only the vocal. While I tell myself from time to time that I'm going to play on a song, I often don't simply because, with many an audition of real tracks, BIAB usually gets me close to what I'm looking for.

rayc: I'm not hearing the clicks, but your ears are better than mine--so I trust they are there. In any event, it was worth going in and revisiting the drums which I've done, trying to add a little more substance/bass or "bottom" to it, and upping the volume just a tad I think.

Hans: LOL, no, no sore throat. Falsetto is not something I do very well, but if it sits in the small sweet spot I have it kinda works. I wrote this in G, probably would have preferred to sing it in F, but settled on F#--largely because I couldn't hit the falsetto in F as well as in G. So a trade off, of sorts.

My best to you all,

Deej
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Complete - 06/05/20 11:08 AM
Deej,

Yes! You have hit that sweet spot for your vocal (with the processing).
I know I have "ragged you" about the high EQing a number of times (the way Ray rags about the lick drum "click" smile ) - hoping that you would do just what you have done here... Mixed/processed your vocal to sit well in the mix, while showcasing your (awesome) vocal AND maintain a "warmth". This is it. Great job!

Great falsetto.

It is only the strongest of vocalist who can make a power ballad work with mostly acoustic instruments to present a solid Rock performance. This is that.

A beautiful write. "Simple", comfortable lyric (well penned) and an excellent soaring melody.

Really nice use of the lead guitar between verses.

EXCELLENT mix.

Your best. Top-notch stuff all around.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: Complete - 06/05/20 12:18 PM
Awesome song and excellent vocal. Loved it.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Complete - 06/05/20 01:44 PM
Deej,

Yes! You`ve nailed the vocal processing/balance with the mix here and it lets us enjoy the goosebumps your vocals deliver.
A good write with that soaring falsetto delivering a sweet high.
Well done.

Robert
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Complete - 06/05/20 01:51 PM
Deej,
This is GREAT in all respects! Really nice vocals & arrangement. I am not sure is this is the "best" tune I have heard by you, but probably the strongest. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. In some strange way it reminds me of Soul Asylum.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Complete - 06/05/20 05:00 PM
Great ballad. An epic sound even with the acoustic
rhythms tracks. They sound good.

And the lyrics have just the right amount of tenderness without going overboard.

As always you vocal is heartfelt and soulful and the falsetto
ads a cool and effective dimension to that.

All meaning...we really like it!

J&B
Posted By: Derochette Re: Complete - 06/05/20 05:13 PM
Hello Deej56,

Nice loving song. Like others,your voice is superb and the arrangement good done.

Best regard

Dero13
Posted By: musician17 Re: Complete - 06/06/20 02:45 AM
A beautiful power ballad. It's sunnier than some of your previous efforts :-) The falsetto sections gives it that "this is how I'll remember this song" moments. The voice mix is one of your best so far - not too harsh, not too soft. As far as I'm concerned, I never want you to lose that edge to your voice - everyone tells you to EQ, etc., which is fine up a point, but don't lose what makes you you. And, here, you haven't lost that - well done.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Complete - 06/06/20 03:30 AM
Deej,

This is excellent! Everything about it had me paying attention. From melody to arrangement, vocals to production, lyrical flow to storyline, this song jumps some really amazing writing hurdles, and it clears them with plenty of ease. You're on a winner with this write! In addition, your vocals really soar.

I love the way that you set up and then present the word "Complete". That's first class writing!

It's been a while since I've spent any time in Users Showcase. I'm really glad that this song was at the top of the list for me to find!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Complete - 06/07/20 01:29 AM
Wow, possibly the best I've heard from you, right up there with Ooh ooh Baby! Great vehicle for your vocals to shine. Going on my list of tunes to play regularly.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Complete - 06/07/20 04:37 PM
Wow, this is a great song with a star-quality vocal performance.

One of your best.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Complete - 06/09/20 09:31 PM
Floyd, Scott, Robert, Misha, J&B, Dero, James, Noel, TuneMonger, and Ezekiel:

Thanks so much for given this one a spin and all the really positive feedback. As I mention, it’s a song I had around for quite a while and could never quite make something of it. So I’m really glad that where it went worked. And even more so that the production elements worked as well.

J&B and TuneMonger: I also want to thank you for your comments on “Because I Dream”. I didn’t want to bump up that thread, but also didn’t want to let my appreciation for you comments go unrecognized. Thanks a lot for that.

My best to all of you. Stay safe and well!

Deej
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Complete - 06/14/20 05:58 PM
Very cool song!! Very passionate lyric and vocal delivery.....always love your vocals!! Really nice melody too......love the jump up on "you"! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Complete - 06/15/20 10:58 AM
Great performance form the very first note.

Lots to like about this, delivered with emotion and class.

Yes, more of this would be great.
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Complete - 06/16/20 01:19 PM
Very great song and I love your voice!

...Deb
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Complete - 06/17/20 10:17 PM
Greg, VideoTracak, and DSM,

Really appreciate the listens and support! Stay well, stay safe!

All my best,

Deej
© PG Music Forums