PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo Subtitled (Extranthropaedia v3) - 06/04/20 11:44 PM
Subtitled (Extranthropaedia-v-3)

For Unkie

This started life as an experiment with new root notes for a common chord progression. In the main body of the thing, I inserted new roots with BIAB slash chord feature. These were a mix of "in-chord" and "out of chord" roots proving it is the bass player who determines what chord is heard. It really took off in my imagination and I twiddled with it with my producer hat on for a long time.

In the Middle section--a genuine change-up bridge with a new style and everything--I used chord notes in the bass to "create" inversions--if not in the individual instruments, then in the "band" as a whole. To end, I laid the flute over a section for which it was not created for a tiny bit more "modality" in the upper registers.

If all that sounds too weird for you, it's just a kid's instrumental. Maybe an other-worldly kid. There's a lot happening in two and one-half minutes,

I went for a somewhat more modern production technique which hearkens a bit back to my "loop" days, though there are no loops used.

The title hearkens back to those days as well, as this might be considered part of a suite.

And...the BAND.

****** Song Summary (For main body) *************
Key=C , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=1:44
Style is _PWPOWER.STY (Praise & Worship w/ Guitar & Pia)
RealTracks in style: 1523:Bass, Electric, PopPowerA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1535:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPowerPushA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1529:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopPowerBrightA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1526:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopPowerPushA-B Ev 120
RealDrums [in style:PraiseWorshipPowerPush^1-a:Qck, b:PHt
RealTracks in song: 1059:Sax, Alto, Soloist SmoothJazzPoppy Ev16 090 (Bluesy)
RealTracks in song: 2348:Horn Section, Rhythm, Funk 2-part, Ev 110 (Simple with Space)
RealTracks in song: 2457:Strings, Rhythm CelticAir Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2540:Pedal Steel, Background ModernCountryDreamy16ths Ev16 075
****** Song Summary (for middle) *************
Key=Am , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=0:32
Style is _ASKANCE.STY (Askance Dramatic Alternative Pop)
RealTracks in style: ~683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1535:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPowerPushA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 3439:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BritPsycRockMarchSingleNoteDelay Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: 3439:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BritPsycRockMarchSingleNoteDelay Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 2799:Flute, Background CroonerBallad Sw 060 (1TrackHornSection)

The "heavier" and "lighter" versions of the main section are from the style itself with A/B parts.

Mixed in Reaper in many 15-20 minute sessions with various standard effects (Eq, Compression). The only real "trick" I used was to reverse the flute and lay it along-side the "forward" copy, edited for flow. It's subtle, but it's there.

Enjoy, if possible.
Posted By: TexasFrets Re: Subtitled (Extranthropaedia v3) - 06/05/20 03:42 AM
This is really cool. I like what you've done. Very interesting. Lots of texture. Kept my interest throughout.
Posted By: rayc Re: Subtitled (Extranthropaedia v3) - 06/05/20 04:01 AM
Very much a producer's product but BIAB allows that extravagance.
Well done - texture and invention around each corner.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Subtitled (Extranthropaedia v3) - 06/05/20 07:36 AM
"There's a lot happening in two and one-half minutes" <- understatement of the year I think! wink

Loved all the various segments. So much going on, but it all works and flows together perfectly.

Really, really well done.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Subtitled (Extranthropaedia v3) - 06/05/20 10:22 AM
Indeed, a lot is happening in your nice song! But the excitement is a continuously present, starting with the bass and ending with that flute.
I was thinking how did you make a composition like this? You said it was a kids instrumental. That sounds simple, but it wasn't simple at all!
You used a lot of different instruments, including even a pedal steel. That was some work to make them work nicely together, though I haven't heard much of that pedal steel.

All the best,
Hans
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Subtitled (Extranthropaedia v3) - 06/05/20 11:13 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Very much a producer's product but BIAB allows that extravagance.
Well done - texture and invention around each corner.

Gotta agree with ray's comment.

Too much going on to parse (which is often Bud's comment). So...better to simply listen...

...and say

Amazing. Awesome. A great listen.

fj
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Subtitled (Extranthropaedia v3) - 06/05/20 12:18 PM
Tangmo,
Complex, but listens very well. A lot of interesting passages and elements. Flute was a treat. Good deal! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Subtitled (Extranthropaedia v3) - 06/05/20 12:25 PM
Awesome tune Tangmo. Well done
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Subtitled (Extranthropaedia v3) - 06/07/20 02:16 AM
I liked it for the most part. I think some riffs needed more room to bloom if that makes sense. But overall it was interesting and impressive!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Subtitled (Extranthropaedia v3) - 06/08/20 12:34 PM
Tangmo,

Your intro left this musical kid in the dust, but the listen cleared my head; its a playful
instrumental and almost everything works for me, the flute passages being my favourite.
But how do you reverse an RT?
I hope Unkie likes this!

Robert
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Subtitled (Extranthropaedia v3) - 06/14/20 05:26 PM
Layered, textured, nuanced and remarkably complex
to sound so open and cohesive. I assume that considerable forethought and mix work were necessary.

Sometimes when you see the word "experiment" you think "uh oh" but that is assuredly not the case here.

We very much enjoyed listens and both feel this is a great candidate for sync licensing.

Well done!

J&B
© PG Music Forums