PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Guitar and Orchestra - 07/05/20 08:59 PM
Guitar and Orchestra

Just me having some fun with our favorite program!

BiaB style = Slow Pop Orchestral

I deleted the drum track.
The following tracks are using Kirt Hunter's Studio
1-Bass - Virtuoso basses
2-Cellos - Virtuoso Cellos - I duplicate the bass track and raised it one octave
3-Guitar - Virtuoso Strings
4-strings - Virtuoso Serenity Legato

Piano - Amadeus Orchestra - Harp

All tracks were slightly altered to better fit the song. All but the bass and cello tracks have a touch of Raum reverb.

I am playing my Harley Benton guitar straight into my mixing board with effects Blue Cat's Re-Guitar set to Jazz Wide and with TR5 Tape Echo.

The master track effects are Aphex Vintage Exciter - preset - Project Legato.

All comments good or not so good are welcomed.
Posted By: MellowHoney Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/06/20 04:21 AM
I am at work right now and speaking frankly registered on the forum just because got bored, but I put it on repeat! Great relaxing composition. Thank you! Also, sorry for off-topic, did not think that's important enough to post a new thread. I am about to buy an electric violin for my daughter. Is here a professional who could recommend one (from these, I guess)
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/06/20 08:27 AM
Mario, interesting!

Way outside the square, invigorating, unusual and enticing.

You bent the rules, very successfully.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/06/20 08:50 AM
Sounds good to me, Mario! Nice new age type piece.

I'm having no problems hearing the changes here.

Nice tone on the guitar!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/06/20 09:22 AM
Hi Mario,

I read the comment about your chordprogressions, well I can hear your progressions. I find your melody very nice and I liked the dramatic move in it towards the end. But if you could distinguish your instruments a bit more that would work out better. I don't mean just adding more volume, but panning the instruments (wider)and add volume to some of them. Makes the mix brighter.

But Mario, who cares? You had your fun making this song and we by listening to it!

Stay safe,
Hans
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/06/20 12:16 PM
Mario,

You are the New-Age King of the forum.

I like the "density" of the background. I did think the guitar could have been just VERY slightly louder - which seemed to happen around the 2:10 mark...then it seemed to drop a bit again. (It might be just an EQ thing - a little more high end might be the ticket. Guessing, here)

A beautiful piece. I enjoyed the listen.

fj
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/06/20 06:59 PM
Very cool score type thing!! You are the master of the film score music!! Enjoyed A LOT!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/07/20 02:36 AM
Hi Mario ...

yep ... new Age film scoring! As Floyd said,in so many words, you own this genre! what a soothing listen! You always do great work, my friend!

Wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/07/20 03:05 AM
This is cool...reminds me of a lull section in a hooror movie where things are then suddenly interrupted by a gore fest. Lovely playing Mario. Angels sing.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/07/20 09:41 AM
Mario,
Mysterious and fun. Could be very well used as a background for a modern day narration of Thousand and One Nights. Nice guitar playing and FX!
Enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/07/20 06:43 PM
Your productions always bring me a new appreciation for MIDI based songs. Relaxing and uplifting tune.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/07/20 08:05 PM
Mario
A soothing relaxing piece. Nice work on the backing tracks.

Peter
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/08/20 12:27 PM
So creative...love your approach to experimenting, etc. You get to places I would never think of going! Really makes me appreciate human inventiveness!
Thanks for stretching BIAB out like this!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/08/20 01:26 PM
A nicely layered soundscape, Mario.Beautiful guitar tone and the kind of string arrangement I wish I had the skills to achieve!
Very enjoyable inner movie music.

Robert
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/08/20 11:23 PM
Sounds good. Ambient. Nice electric guitar playing.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 11:37 AM
A very interesting relaxing, yet cerebral ride. I like the way it rocks back and forth between major and minor tonalities, sometimes from the same same root chord. At least that's the way I'm parsing it as a beginner. And lands on an "up" feel. I wasn't all that crazy about the cello in my right ear on the phones. Probably not an issue on monitors/speakers. It might have been better had the strings taken the full spread and the cello shared closer to the middle...but maybe the very oddness of the piece begged for such a placement. I very much enjoyed the time listening.
Posted By: Andyman Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 12:48 PM
Nice work Mario. You have a distinctive style all of your own.
That TR5 tape echo on your guitar gives an ethereal sound to the piece.
This music would be perfect for a dream sequence in a movie.
Posted By: Bawb Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 01:00 PM
Hi MarioD,

This is a very melodramatic sounding piece.
You've done a really good job on it.
I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a movie director, but I can actually hear this as the intro or ending of a sad movie...

Or it could be played as an emphasis on a sad scene.

It's kind of sad, yet soothing. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: MellowHoney
I am at work right now and speaking frankly registered on the forum just because got bored, but I put it on repeat! Great relaxing composition. Thank you! Also, sorry for off-topic, did not think that's important enough to post a new thread. I am about to buy an electric violin for my daughter. Is here a professional who could recommend one (from these, I guess)

Thanx for listening and those very kind comments.

Sorry but I don't know a violin player. You should start a new thread on the Woodshedding - Learning to Play forum.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:12 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Mario, interesting!

Way outside the square, invigorating, unusual and enticing.

You bent the rules, very successfully.

With BiaB it is quite easy to think out of the box and to bend the rules. PGMusic should get most of the credit in that department.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Sounds good to me, Mario! Nice new age type piece.

I'm having no problems hearing the changes here.

Nice tone on the guitar!

Thanx so much Dave. I really like this HB guitar.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Mario,

I read the comment about your chordprogressions, well I can hear your progressions. I find your melody very nice and I liked the dramatic move in it towards the end. But if you could distinguish your instruments a bit more that would work out better. I don't mean just adding more volume, but panning the instruments (wider)and add volume to some of them. Makes the mix brighter.

But Mario, who cares? You had your fun making this song and we by listening to it!

Stay safe,
Hans

Thanx Hans for those suggestions. I'm sure they will make my songs sound better.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:16 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Mario,

You are the New-Age King of the forum.

I like the "density" of the background. I did think the guitar could have been just VERY slightly louder - which seemed to happen around the 2:10 mark...then it seemed to drop a bit again. (It might be just an EQ thing - a little more high end might be the ticket. Guessing, here)

A beautiful piece. I enjoyed the listen.

fj

Thanx Floyd for that suggestion. I will give it a try.

I'm not sure about that New-Age King statement, but I'll take it grin
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool score type thing!! You are the master of the film score music!! Enjoyed A LOT!!! Take care. Greg

Thanx so much Greg. I'm not sure that I am a master of the film score music but I do like to write in that genre.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Mario ...

yep ... new Age film scoring! As Floyd said,in so many words, you own this genre! what a soothing listen! You always do great work, my friend!

Wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan

Thanx so much Alan for this kind review.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
This is cool...reminds me of a lull section in a hooror movie where things are then suddenly interrupted by a gore fest. Lovely playing Mario. Angels sing.

I never thought about this song in that perspective but you are right.

Thanx for listening and commenting.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Mario,
Mysterious and fun. Could be very well used as a background for a modern day narration of Thousand and One Nights. Nice guitar playing and FX!
Enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanx so much Misha for listening and these very nice comments.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Your productions always bring me a new appreciation for MIDI based songs. Relaxing and uplifting tune.

Thanx Charlie. Some people look down on MIDI while I look up at it. I much prefer working in MIDI than in Audio, but that is just me. Others are experts at working with RTs.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:23 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Mario
A soothing relaxing piece. Nice work on the backing tracks.

Peter

Thanx so much Peter.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
So creative...love your approach to experimenting, etc. You get to places I would never think of going! Really makes me appreciate human inventiveness!
Thanks for stretching BIAB out like this!

Using BiaB makes it easy to experiment and work out of your comfort zone. Just try it and after a short while you will be more comfortable working in different genres and with experimenting.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
A nicely layered soundscape, Mario.Beautiful guitar tone and the kind of string arrangement I wish I had the skills to achieve!
Very enjoyable inner movie music.

Robert

Thanx Robert for listening and commenting. BiaB does have some very nice MIDI string tracks and it doesn't take much, if any, changes improve them. You might want to give it a try.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:28 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Sounds good. Ambient. Nice electric guitar playing.

Thanx so much.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
A very interesting relaxing, yet cerebral ride. I like the way it rocks back and forth between major and minor tonalities, sometimes from the same same root chord. At least that's the way I'm parsing it as a beginner. And lands on an "up" feel. I wasn't all that crazy about the cello in my right ear on the phones. Probably not an issue on monitors/speakers. It might have been better had the strings taken the full spread and the cello shared closer to the middle...but maybe the very oddness of the piece begged for such a placement. I very much enjoyed the time listening.

Thanx for listening and commenting. I will have to take a look at the cello. I place my strings in most of my compositions based on where they are in an orchestra based on the audiences view. Thus the double basses and cellos are on the far right. But maybe I have a volume issue, I will check.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Andyman
Nice work Mario. You have a distinctive style all of your own.
That TR5 tape echo on your guitar gives an ethereal sound to the piece.
This music would be perfect for a dream sequence in a movie.

Thanx for listening and commenting Andyman. I really like that TR5 tape echo. It is one of the best IMHO.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 03:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Hi MarioD,

This is a very melodramatic sounding piece.
You've done a really good job on it.
I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a movie director, but I can actually hear this as the intro or ending of a sad movie...

Or it could be played as an emphasis on a sad scene.

It's kind of sad, yet soothing. Thanks for posting.

Thanx Bawb for these very nice comments. I appreciated them.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 06:45 PM
Moody, mysterious and mesmerizing...

Something we think the film libraries would
like to have in their repertoire.

We always like the backstories on how you put these
productions together.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 09:10 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: Tangmo

Thanx for listening and commenting. I will have to take a look at the cello. I place my strings in most of my compositions based on where they are in an orchestra based on the audiences view. Thus the double basses and cellos are on the far right. But maybe I have a volume issue, I will check.

No worries. That explains it. Carry on.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/09/20 10:50 PM
Cool! It reminded me of background music from Escape from Monkey Island, which is a good thing. smile

Raum reverb is one awesome verb.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/10/20 03:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Moody, mysterious and mesmerizing...

Something we think the film libraries would
like to have in their repertoire.

We always like the backstories on how you put these
productions together.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

I'm glad that you liked this.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/10/20 03:36 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Cool! It reminded me of background music from Escape from Monkey Island, which is a good thing. smile

Raum reverb is one awesome verb.

Thanx so much.

Yes Raum is one awesome reverb.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/11/20 11:37 AM
Sorry for the late reply Mario. Lovely song. Very peaceful. Very cool chord progression. Puts allot of feel into the song.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/11/20 01:01 PM
Good stuff Mario, very evocative. Did I hear a hint of a coir in the background too?
I liked it a lot.

Mike B.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/11/20 04:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Sorry for the late reply Mario. Lovely song. Very peaceful. Very cool chord progression. Puts allot of feel into the song.

Thanx Scott for those very kind words and for noticing the chord progression.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/11/20 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Good stuff Mario, very evocative. Did I hear a hint of a coir in the background too?
I liked it a lot.

Mike B.

Thanx Mike and yes there was a hint of a choir in the background.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/11/20 07:34 PM
Mario, you always come up with interesting stuff! Beautiful in a strange sort of way! I've always felt you could do things that would work in film! Very nice! Thanks, T
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/11/20 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Mario, you always come up with interesting stuff! Beautiful in a strange sort of way! I've always felt you could do things that would work in film! Very nice! Thanks, T

Thanx for those very kind words.
Posted By: furry Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/20/20 10:52 PM
Mario, who in their right mind could not LOVE this ? It's BEAUTIFUL. STUNNING orchestration that almost paints a picture of a spot in paradise. Thanks so much for posting this old buddy
Posted By: MarioD Re: Guitar and Orchestra - 07/20/20 10:53 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
Mario, who in their right mind could not LOVE this ? It's BEAUTIFUL. STUNNING orchestration that almost paints a picture of a spot in paradise. Thanks so much for posting this old buddy

Graham, thanx so much for this very kind review!
© PG Music Forums