PG Music Home
Posted By: PeterF Janice sings Irving Berlin - All By Myself - 10/25/22 02:10 AM
All By Myself

According to his biographer Berlin wrote the song the year before his mother died as a meditation on solitude and the misery of growing old alone. It was introduced in The Music Box Revue of 1922. The song is now in the public domain.

Vocal & Arrangement - Janice Merritt
Vocal recording and song mastering - Bud Merritt
Arrangement and guitar solo - me.

The horns were altered in Melodyne and the strings were produced using the midi chord track rather than a RT.

The Band:
RealTracks in style: ~~481:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~~557:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Freddie Sw 085 ('B' only)
RealTracks in style: 2593:Horn Section, Background CroonerBigBand9-Part Sw 110
RealTracks in song: ~487:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Sw 085
RealDrums in style:JazzTerryClarke^01-a,b:Cross Stick Tom 1

All By Myself

All by myself in the morning
All by myself in the night;
I sit alone in a cosy Morris chair,
So unhappy there playing solitaire

All by myself I get lonely
Watching the clock on the shelf
I'd like to rest my weary head on somebody's shoulder
I hate to grow older all by myself.
Posted By: rayc Re: Janice sings Irving Berlin - All By Myself - 10/25/22 05:54 AM
Lovely.
The tempo, phrasing and inflections of the vocal are wonderful and the guitar is a terrific example of taste.
The best thing I've heard on the forum in quite a while. Just perfect. Great vocal, great song, great production. Guitar was perfect, too. I wasn't familiar with this song by Berlin, but it's a winner. I can just see him sweating out the details of it (as he was wont to do) over his transposing upright piano, working those black keys.
Oh, man, Peter. I heard this yesterday. Really outstanding vocal. Can you guys do a whole album, Janice Songs Gershwin? Professional all the way, Peter. You are so good at playng the perfect part in any style. Very versatile and quite accomplished. Excellent production.
Originally Posted By: rayc
Lovely.
The tempo, phrasing and inflections of the vocal are wonderful and the guitar is a terrific example of taste.

Thank you Ray!

Janice
Peter, Janice & Bud,

This is absolutely one of my favorite collaborations that the three of you have done.

The production on this is simply outstanding... It sounds like an old recording, but with nuance and polish.

I don't think anyone's phrasing or delivery on this song could be better than what Janice has done here - I could listen to this over and over again. Superb...

Love Peter's guitar - flashes of Barney Kessel. Just a perfect solo for this piece.

Bob
That clock on the shelf may be from some other era, but you guys knocked this out of the park.
Very well arranged and performed, great job and kudos to all.
Hello Peter and of course Janice and Bud
Very impressive song
Everything is at the highest level
This song can't be done much better.
Congratulations
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: RnAM Re: Janice sings Irving Berlin - All By Myself - 10/25/22 04:58 PM
Although this is not our kind of music, it is done very well.
Well sung by Janice and great guitar solo!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
The best thing I've heard on the forum in quite a while. Just perfect. Great vocal, great song, great production. Guitar was perfect, too. I wasn't familiar with this song by Berlin, but it's a winner. I can just see him sweating out the details of it (as he was wont to do) over his transposing upright piano, working those black keys.

Wow. Thank you so much for your very kind words and thank you Peter for inviting me in on this production!

Janice
Originally Posted By: rayc
Lovely.

Thanks Ray appreciate the comments.

Peter
Lovely song. So cool that you are bringing these masterpieces back to life. Beautiful vocal Janice. Peter your guitar was excellent. Really well done..
Janice - Goosebumps! Could not be done better. Stunning.

Nice guitar work, Peter.

Nice arrangement.
(not a fan of the BIAB ride. But you know that...)

Very cool horns!
(a bit too-up-front, I think, for the genre. Would rather hear them "underneath" and less "bright".)

Beautiful work, y'all.

fj
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, man, Peter. I heard this yesterday. Really outstanding vocal. Can you guys do a whole album, Janice Songs Gershwin? Professional all the way, Peter. You are so good at playng the perfect part in any style. Very versatile and quite accomplished. Excellent production.

Thanks Marty. It was a favorite “old movie” song of mine!

Janice
You'll knocked this one out of the park!

Great vocal - as usual

Great guitar - as usual

Great arrangement and mix - as usual

Loved it
Wow!
I should probably stop there smile

Fantastic rendition. Such a cool blend of old flavored horns, strings & piano infused with modern Janice vocals with Peter's guitar. Love Bud mixes. Every instrument is very well situated. Easy listen. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Janice sings Irving Berlin - All By Myself - 10/27/22 01:52 AM
Janice's interpretation is very cool, as is the guitar.

Melodyne seems the perfect tool for working with those BiaB brass parts!

And of course, a nice clear mix.

I enjoyed listening through this a couple of time! laugh
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger

Thanks a lot for the kind words.

Peter
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic

Thanks Marty we appreciate the comments.

Peter
Nice!

Love the arrangement, especially the way it builds towards the end, and interesting to read how you manipulated the BIAB horns.

Janice knocked it out of the park with this one, couldn't possibly be better! Just perfect tone and phrasing.

Sounding good, Peter, very tasteful playing throughout, and love that fast little lick you used to end the solo.

You three have a knack for taking an old song and making it your own, well done.
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Peter, Janice & Bud,

This is absolutely one of my favorite collaborations that the three of you have done.

The production on this is simply outstanding... It sounds like an old recording, but with nuance and polish.

I don't think anyone's phrasing or delivery on this song could be better than what Janice has done here - I could listen to this over and over again. Superb...

Love Peter's guitar - flashes of Barney Kessel. Just a perfect solo for this piece.

Bob

Bob, I am humbled by your kind and supportive comments.
Thank you so much!

Janice
Even though it's 100% not my preferred genre, it's really well done, great arrangement and of course the vocals.
Good work from all involved smile
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Peter, Janice & Bud,

Bob

Bob
Thanks for the very supportive review - very much appreciated.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
That clock on the shelf may be from some other era, but you guys knocked this out of the park.

Thanks we appreciate the comments.
Peter
That's simply top-shelf people, all around

Janice, golly, your performance is perfect. The emotion and control, technique and artistry - superb.

Hat's off to the band and production staff as well:)

Standing ovation!

A super excellent version of this classic!

Such wonderful, warm, soothing sounds all around, great production, and great performances by everyone.
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper

Haha, we have a clock on top of a Victrola - definitely another era.

Thank you so much!

J&B
Superb. Absolutely superb. Congratulations!!! Special congratulations to Janice - each song even better than the last.
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Very impressive song
Congratulations
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks Andi
Peter
Peter, Janice & Bud,

It's really good.
The vocals are great and the guitar solo is very nice.
Irvine Berlin is famous in Japan for songs such as ”White Christmas” and "What'll I do."
"What'll I do" is one of my favorite songs, so if I get the chance, I'd definitely like to listen to the performance by this collaboration.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Very impressive song
Congratulations
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thank you Andi!

Janice
Originally Posted By: RnAM

Rob and Anne-Marie

Favorite genre, or sort of favorite genre or not favorite genre we are glad folks think it was done well. smile Thanks you two!

Janice
Howdy Folks ...

One word in particular comes to mind - PRISTINE!

My mother was a wonderful singer and she would sing all the old classics as she cleaned house. I was privileged to hear that almost every day for years. This was one in here repretiore. She grew up in the Big Band era. She was born in 1923. We also watched all the old classic black and white movies that featureed big Bnd Muisc. I miss hearing her sing.

But ... Janice sure knows how to get the best out of everything she sings. It's kind of like an ice cream sundae. The basic ingredient (ice cream) is rich and smooth, the topping (cherries, pineapples, strawberries, etc.) brings a new element and texture to the treat that is exciting and ingratiating to the ice cream; the whipped cream is so smooth and satisfying; and the cherry on top says this is special. And yeah, that's pretty close to describing Janets vocals.

Peter, your guitar work is always superb, but you took it to the next level with this one.

I could go on and on, but I think I've adequately made my point. This was truly a treat! Nicely done, everyone.

Alan
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely song. So cool that you are bringing these masterpieces back to life. Beautiful vocal Janice. Peter your guitar was excellent. Really well done..

Thanks Scott!

Janice
Originally Posted By: RnAM

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanis we appreciate the comments.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thanks a lot Scott much appreciated.

Peter
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Nice guitar work, Peter.

Nice arrangement.

Very cool horns!
(a bit too-up-front, I think, for the genre. Would rather hear them "underneath" and less "bright".)

Beautiful work, y'all.

fj

Thanks floyd I actually thought the horns were a bit far back after listening to Bobby Darin's version which is certainly worth a spin.
First time I've ever really tried to use the big band horns. They were a bit temperamental and needed some work to get them to play nicely.

Peter
What a voice! Such a solid delivery of the lyric. The subtle inflections make this recording special.
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Nice guitar work, Peter.

Nice arrangement.

Very cool horns!

Beautiful work, y'all.

fj

Thanks big brother!

Janice
Enjoyable arrangement that evolves from simple to full power nicely. Great vocals by Janice, she really makes the loneliness in growing older tangible. To me, the story would work better in slower tempo (like Bing Crosby version), but then the nice arrangement wouldn't reveal its full beauty, so the length and tempo are in good balance now.

Janne
Excellent rendition of a classic. I am most familiar with the Bobby Darin version.
Janice shines and makes it her own.
Love the instrumentation arrangement.
I arranged some tracks for this song a couple years ago but never recorded a vocal. I don't need to after hearing this one.
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Great vocal - as usual

Great guitar - as usual

Loved it

Thank you Mario!

Janice
Hi PeterF

Very sweet song. The sound of the guitar well chosen. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Wow so lovely everything is so well done vocal is super good mix excellent guitar work spot on on everything thanks for sharing Eric
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Wow!

Fantastic rendition. Such a cool blend of old flavored horns, strings & piano infused with modern Janice vocals with Peter's guitar. Love Bud mixes. Every instrument is very well situated. Easy listen. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thank you Misha! You are very kind.

Bud wanted me to mention that the mix was Peter’s.

Much appreciated by us all!

Janice
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Great vocal - as usual

Great guitar - as usual

Loved it

Thanks Mario.
Janice certainly shines on this.
Peter
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Wow!

Misha.

Thanks a lot Misha.
Peter
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Thanks David. Melodyne allowed me to alter the parts without having to do frequent regenerations.

Peter
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Thank you!

Janice
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice!

Love the arrangement, especially the way it builds towards the end, and interesting to read how you manipulated the BIAB horns.

Janice knocked it out of the park with this one, couldn't possibly be better! Just perfect tone and phrasing.

Sounding good, Peter, very tasteful playing throughout, and love that fast little lick you used to end the solo.

You three have a knack for taking an old song and making it your own, well done.

Wow! Thank you Dave. I very much appreciate your encouraging vocal comments!

Janice
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice!

Thanks a lot Dave.

Peter
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Even though it's 100% not my preferred genre, it's really well done, great arrangement and of course the vocals.

Thanks.

Peter
Originally Posted By: olemon

Janice, golly, your performance is perfect. The emotion and control, technique and artistry - superb.

Standing ovation!

We appreciate the comments and I agree with all your comments about the vocals.

Peter
Hi, I listened to this whilst I was in Thailand on holidays last week but thought I’d wait until I got home before commenting.

I was sitting there in Thailand thinking how sultry it was outside then I heard Janice sing this beautifully done song and thought “boy you don’t know what “sultry” is.”

This was sung beautifully, produced as well as I would have expected from Bud and Peter’s guitar makes me proud to be an Aussie. I don’t comment often but this was well worth it.

Well done to all concerned.

Tony
Dave, Janice and Bud...you guys have certainly found your nitch here...Janice has the perfect timbre and classic vocal ability to deliver Gershwin in such a gorgeous...Dave your solo was so tasteful and fitting...the production was excellent...the horn section has an old recording texture to it that enhances the total appeal...so well done!
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas

Aw shucks. I wish we could’ve at least made it to 99% not favorite! smile smile smile

But we all do appreciate your listen and nice comments.

Thanks!

Janice
Originally Posted By: olemon

Standing ovation!

Thank you so much. It was a pleasure to record this with Peter!

Janice

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Such wonderful, warm, soothing sounds all around, great production, and great performances by everyone.

Thanks for the kind words!

Janice
Originally Posted By: musician17
Superb. Absolutely superb. Congratulations!!! Special congratulations to Janice - each song even better than the last.

Thank you!
Janice

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Peter, Janice & Bud,

It's really good.
Irvine Berlin is famous in Japan for songs such as ”White Christmas” and "What'll I do."
"What'll I do" is one of my favorite songs, so if I get the chance, I'd definitely like to listen to the performance by this collaboration.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you! I love many of his songs and the old movies they appear in.

Janice
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Thanks David
Originally Posted By: musician17

Thanks a lot

Peter
I
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Peter, Janice & Bud,

It's really good.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki

Peter
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Howdy Folks ...

My mother was a wonderful singer and she would sing all the old classics as she cleaned house. I was privileged to hear that almost every day for years. This was one in here repretiore. She grew up in the Big Band era. She was born in 1923. We also watched all the old classic black and white movies that featureed big Bnd Muisc. I miss hearing her sing.

But ... Janice sure knows how to get the best out of everything she sings. It's kind of like an ice cream sundae. The basic ingredient (ice cream) is rich and smooth, the topping (cherries, pineapples, strawberries, etc.) brings a new element and texture to the treat that is exciting and ingratiating to the ice cream; the whipped cream is so smooth and satisfying; and the cherry on top says this is special. And yeah, that's pretty close to describing Janets vocals.

Peter, your guitar work is always superb, but you took it to the next level with this one.

I could go on and on, but I think I've adequately made my point. This was truly a treat! Nicely done, everyone.

Alan

Thank you Al. My mother and father were also born around that time (early 20’s) so I learned from them the joy of such music and old movies.

I appreciate very much what you wrote!

Janice
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Howdy Folks ...

Alan

Thanks Alan glad you enjoyed our efforts.

Peter
Originally Posted By: fgrittner
What a voice! Such a solid delivery of the lyric. The subtle inflections make this recording special.

Thanks Fred
Peter
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Enjoyable arrangement that evolves from simple to full power nicely. Great vocals by Janice, she really makes the loneliness in growing older tangible. To me, the story would work better in slower tempo (like Bing Crosby version), but then the nice arrangement wouldn't reveal its full beauty, so the length and tempo are in good balance now.

Janne

Thanks Janne - I'll have to listen to Bing's version.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Excellent rendition of a classic. I am most familiar with the Bobby Darin version.
I arranged some tracks for this song a couple years ago but never recorded a vocal. I don't need to after hearing this one.

We appreciate the review, thanks Scott.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi PeterF

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thank you.

Peter
Originally Posted By: fgrittner

Thank you!

Janice

Originally Posted By: jannesan

Janne

Thank you Janne. I have loved this song for decades and much appreciate your vocal comment!

Janice
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm

Your familiarity with the song makes your positive comments very special. Thank you!

Janice
Peter, Janice and Bud,

This is a really nice treatment of this old tune! Good performances by all! These songs from many years ago deserve to be resurrected and preserved by the next generations!

Thanks, Torrey
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi PeterF

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Wow so lovely everything is so well done vocal is super good mix excellent guitar work spot on on everything thanks for sharing Eric

Thanks guys!

Janice
Originally Posted By: Teunis
Hi, I listened to this whilst I was in Thailand on holidays last week but thought I’d wait until I got home before commenting.

I was sitting there in Thailand thinking how sultry it was outside then I heard Janice sing this beautifully done song and thought “boy you don’t know what “sultry” is.”

This was sung beautifully, produced as well as I would have expected from Bud and Peter’s guitar makes me proud to be an Aussie. I don’t comment often but this was well worth it.

Well done to all concerned.

Tony

Wow! That is so nice of you to say that Tony about my vocal.

I very much appreciate every word of it!

Janice

Originally Posted By: firesong
Dave, Janice and Bud...you guys have certainly found your nitch here...Janice has the perfect timbre and classic vocal ability to deliver Gershwin in such a gorgeous...Dave your solo was so tasteful and fitting...the production was excellent...the horn section has an old recording texture to it that enhances the total appeal...so well done!

Thank you so much! I have so long loved but rarely recorded this style.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Peter, Janice and Bud,

This is a really nice treatment of this old tune! Good performances by all! These songs from many years ago deserve to be resurrected and preserved by the next generations!

Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey and yes it it is fun to work with these PD classics!

Janice
© PG Music Forums