PG Music Home
Posted By: dcuny RealTracks: Strings - 10/03/10 08:27 AM
Here's another vote for "RealStrings". BiaB already does a lot of MIDI string styles, so obviously the RealTracks version would have to offer something that the MIDI version doesn't.

Cello Accompaniment. Something much like the "background" RealTrack fiddle styles - think of "Fire and Rain." A faster version might be nice, but really, a slow version would be most useful. (Yes, I know "Fire and Rain" used a bass, not a cello, but James Taylor often has a cello on the part in concert). I could imagine a lot of uses for this.

String Trio/Quartet Accompaniment. This isn't something that's typically used throughout a song - a couple of bars is often enough. Some of the George Martin arrangements for the Beatles and America come to mind. I think most people think of "Eleanor Rigby", but check out Linda Ronstadt's cover of "My Funny Valentine" (after the intro) for a more "generic" style. Elvis Costello's "The Juliet Letters" has plenty of excellent of what can be done with a quartet while staying in the pop genre.

Big Strings. Although I think this is most people think of when they think "strings", I wonder how successful the style would be. For one thing, it would be difficult to come up with a "generic" style that would fit on a lot of songs, and still be compellingly better than MIDI strings. I suspect that - like a number of RealTrack piano styles - phrases could easily be disjointed. See just about any Carpenters song, Dan Fogelberg's "The Innocent Age" album, or Elvis Costello's "Painted From Memory" for examples.

Accordion. Not really a "string" style, but it serves the same purpose. And getting a RealStyle for an accordian has got to be cheaper than renting out a small string orchestra! Have a listen to Karla Bonoff's version of "The Water Is Wide" for an excellent example. This would be a great instrument to have.

Some additional RealTrack styles that would go well with strings, but could stand on their own as well:

Oboe Fills. This seems to be the instrument of choice for creating an "orchestral" sound. A lovely instrument.
French Horn Fills: Also popular for making a "bigger" orchestral sound.
Flute: The "Bossa Nova" flute is usable, but a more orchestral flute with a rounder tone would be nice. Really useful.
Flute in 3rds: Always a great sound.
Trumpet in 3rds: Not really an "orchestral" sound, and very 70's - think Herb Albert. But still, a great sound.
Posted By: Wyndham Re: RealTracks: Strings - 10/03/10 06:00 PM
Not knowing how the RT's are put together, I'll request Hammer Dulcimer, harp and that type of string instruments.
Wyndham
Posted By: Dan Tong Re: RealTracks: Strings - 12/02/10 11:57 PM
I'm adding my voice to dcuny's. These suggestions would be really terrific additions to Real Tracks versatility.

Thanks,
Posted By: jford Re: RealTracks: Strings - 12/03/10 04:36 PM
+1
Posted By: cressjl Re: RealTracks: Strings - 12/03/10 06:33 PM
Yes, cheesy strings, as cheesy guitars, are the bane of MIDI. Now, who are they gonna sample, the National Symphony?

Add my vote for a great wish...

Now, for my real wish...Santa, please, please, please,...where's my 2011 UltraPAK?!
Posted By: John Smith Re: RealTracks: Strings - 12/03/10 11:06 PM
I think the real tracks are great but I would love to add some strings to the music that Band in a Box makes. I have wanted this for some time and finally registered so I could post this to the wish list but I see others have already done so. Please try and make some string real tracks that could be used with many of the Band in a Box styles.
Posted By: J. Larry Re: RealTracks: Strings - 12/04/10 05:46 AM
I, too, would like real string tracks. But, just as much, I'd like to have real voice tracks, as well. Oohs, ahhs, and choral stuff.
Posted By: dcuny Re: RealTracks: Strings - 12/05/10 06:55 AM
Looks like Pop Set 106 (Calypso Rock) has accordion. Not "strings", but looks pretty useful.
Posted By: Marcello Leonardo Re: RealTracks: Strings - 12/27/10 10:10 PM
Yes strings and vocal tracks would be great
© PG Music Forums