PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr specialty real track requests - 10/27/12 01:24 PM
Hammer dulcimer

Erhu

More solo cello.

I've noticed while listening to Pandora that a LOT of music is currently being built around hip-hop drum beats. This is true of multiple genres, notably new age, but others too. I don't know how to describe it, but I've searched the drum beats in RB and haven't found more than one that has "the beat" I want to emulate.

The best way I can describe it is like an idiot:
"bup dub bup, bubba dubba dub dup"
"bup dub bup, bubba dubba dub dup"

an example would be the song ALTEN MARA by the band MYTHOS on their PURITY album

WHAT FOOL WOULD DO THIS-O-METER
YOU_______________________/_ME
Posted By: Tommyc Re: specialty real track requests - 10/27/12 04:07 PM
Bubba Dub-Step? lol
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: specialty real track requests - 10/28/12 05:39 PM
regarding the ALTEN MARA song... the drum beat I'm looking for doesn't kick in until the 0:25 marker
on this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SMXicTQZmE
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: specialty real track requests - 11/01/12 01:59 AM
Hi Pat,

The drummer in that tune is emulating my favourite drum loop, the Amen break.

There's a great 20 minute documentary about the Amen on Youtube, if you're interested: http://youtu.be/5SaFTm2bcac

Have you tried our HipHop RealDrum? It's a great version of that same rhythm (in my opinion), but our version sounds a bit more like the original Amen break than the version in the tune you linked to (especially in the "bubba dubba part").

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: specialty real track requests - 11/01/12 10:12 AM
Hi Kent,

thanks for the link and reply. I have used the hiphop realdrum, and many of my song ideas in development are heading in that direction.

what I was originally requesting: some new RD that are variations on that beat

However, since posting I've had some luck using the drum grid in RealBand to create the beat I want. But Drum grid beats always sound a bit more techno than the laid-back feel of the Amen break.

Very interesting YouTube video, by the way. I really enjoyed it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: specialty real track requests - 11/02/12 01:37 PM
Quote:

However, since posting I've had some luck using the drum grid in RealBand to create the beat I want. But Drum grid beats always sound a bit more techno than the laid-back feel of the Amen break.

Pat, one way to help eliminate that techno feel is to put each drum on a separate track. Then humanize each track differently. You can also move each track a few ticks forward or backward to add a human feel to your drums.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: specialty real track requests - 11/07/12 05:05 PM
Earth Wind and Fire / Tower of Power horn shouts..
© PG Music Forums