PG Music Home
Hi,

We're recording some more RealTracks. We're making them in lots of styles, but this message is specifically about the following:

- Acoustic Bass (jazz). We're recording some more with Neil Swainson, and are looking for style suggestions. These would typically be jazz ones, since it is Acoustic Bass, and but this could be any type of jazz.
John Patitucci and Brian Bromberg, to name a couple. Later, Ray
Charlie Haden, Dave Holland, Eddie Gomez, Miroslav Vitous .....

Alan
Latin jazz acoustic bass, Nuyorican, such as by John Benitez. This assumes some new piano styles, too.
Walk that dog!
Ray Brown.....ok so that was a double bass...but...
Jaco!Jaco!Jaco!!!!! Please!!!
Jaco (or Mark Egan) on ACOUSTIC bass?
I'm there with Matt and John, also maybe something in the slower tempos for ballads at 45-65 bpm.
All good suggestions

best regards

Mike Ballara
You've got to wonder what Jaco or Mark would sound like on Acoustic, though.

Gary
Well, I know what Mark sounds like.
Heard some years ago that when Jaco auditioned for WR, Joe and Wayne thought he was playing string bass at first. Later, Ray
More effective modal stuff, for all the instruments.
Real Ballads. Tempo 40-60bpm. It usually sound better to speed up, but worse when you reduce the tempo. So we need real slow tempi!

ODD METERS: 5/4 (Take 5 style etc), 7/4,
6/8 ala "All Blues"

Real fast tempos: 240-320 bpm for fast Bebop

Famous RIFFS: "So What" etc. paired with the according style for special songs.

Jazz Funk with Double Bass. Groovy with a slappy touch once in a while.

Latin and Gypsy styles.
The jazz real tracks are brilliant.

I have a special request for acoustic bass for the slower tempo's, ballads etc ie 60 to say 80 bpm. The current realtracks for these tempo's have tasteful and adequate piano and drum parts, but I say with respect, the bass parts are too busy almost sounding like a lead instrument. My request is therefore for more sympathetic tasteful bass part with longer note lengths etc. This would be an absolute winner
How about some nice jazz guitar solo tracks that go with the great jazz guitar comping tracks ? Particularly, _BOSSAG has some nice rhythm guitar tracks but the guitarist can't take a solo.
Gail at PG says you don't have any currently.
Maybe 5/4? Take five isn't the only tune written in 5/4.
Ditto Ray Brown.

Still THE master when it comes to straight ahead acoustic bass.

A word about the jazz keyboard real tracks. Sadly they are deficient. I suggest that you focus on better voice leading for piano comping real tracks in the future.
+1 for Matt's post on more Latin Styles. Really digging into the Tumbao. Perhaps a review of the bass playing done in the "Latin Pianist" program, or a review of "The Salsa Guidebook".

On a related note. Most of the Heavy "Salsa" (actually "Timba") style bass is not played on Acoustic bass. They use the Ampeg baby bass. If you check out videos of Sonora Ponceana, Tito Nieves, Papa Lucca, etc, you see that they all pretty much use it. Kind of like rappers using the Akai MP60 drum machine. The standard. And a very distinct sound variation from Acoustic bass.

Ed
Love the acoustic bass! That's the main reason I only use real tracks now. Maybe some more "growl" and 2-note chord riffs (don't know if I said that right?) on the ballads would be nice.
Quote:

A word about the jazz keyboard real tracks. Sadly they are deficient. I suggest that you focus on better voice leading for piano comping real tracks in the future.

That would be great but remember what Real Tracks are, generic audio files that are part of Biab. The user puts in the chord changes. If you are in the studio recording a Real Track, how can you voice lead when you don't know what the song is? All they can do is to cover as many standard chord progressions as they can and hope for the best.

Bob
Please re-do (or add to) those great sounding B3 organ styles and use an acoustic bass instead of, or in addition to, the pedal bass. I realize you wanted to be faithful to the style, but I'm so addicted to those great acoustic bass tracks (and it's so hard to growl an organ pedal).
I quite like the jazz acoustic bass in real Tracks but find the bassist is too busy and overplaying....sometime almost like he is taking a solo. If he could more closely follow the root of the chords...think Ray Brown and Paul Chambers. The simple and very simple alternatives have helped, but still far too busy for jazz playing in my opinion.

Mal
ANY LATIN styles please with ac bass would be nice. Options to simplify the bass line that sound good. Record some of them flat or nearly so please.

Ron
Quote:

Record some of them flat or nearly so please.

If you mean with minimal effects (reverb, etc.), the term you want is "dry".
Would love to have an acoustic bass at ballad tempo that is less busy. The current ones act as if they'd much rather play the lead. Having the bass in a supporting role might be nice for a change

Philip
I'd love anything that could support the New Orleans grooves like those in Congo Square (neville Bros, and Sonny landreth), or Iko, Iko ("My flag boy xxx your flag boy, sittin' by the fire..."), or the songs by Lil' Feat like Dixie Chicken, and Fat Man in the Bathub... These are infectious grooves that invariably set feet a tappin'...
Quote:

Would love to have an acoustic bass at ballad tempo that is less busy. The current ones act as if they'd much rather play the lead. Having the bass in a supporting role might be nice for a change

Philip

Hi Philip

+1 here. I also would like a more laid back accompaniment on certain ballads. A least to have the choice depending on what we want. Seems that all the basses in ballads get "busy" during solo choruses.
© PG Music Forums