PG Music Home
Posted By: ZeroZero Unknown notation symbol - 09/21/13 02:23 PM
I havew been reading for years but have come across a notation symbol which I dont know. It's in the preat section of a real book chart 'Bewitched'. It looks like, or 'is' a forward slash.

There is a chord D7 then a space then the forward slash, then there is two further chord symbols G7 A7b9.

Maybe it means 'or'? Meaning you can either play a D7 for the bar, or play the other two chords?

Zero
Posted By: Mac Re: Unknown notation symbol - 09/21/13 09:36 PM
Try it as a sub for the D7 and let your ears tell you if that is appropriate.

--Mac
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Unknown notation symbol - 10/12/13 04:51 PM
Hi Zero,

I'm looking at Bewitched in my old copy of the Real Book. I see nothing like you describe, so I think you're seeing a typographical error.

The D7 occurs over the phrase "bothered and be ..." followed by "...wildered" G7 and then (C7) as an optional entry chord into the first ending. A7b9 is a better choice as a substitute for C7.

Most importantly, Real Book chords are wrong 50% of the time, or, if not wrong, merely bad. Just my opinion Real Book fans.

Aleck
Posted By: Frankp Re: Unknown notation symbol - 10/26/13 03:46 PM
The slash simple indicates a beat. The measure you are referring to is:

| D-7 / G7 C7 |

(which is the 2nd ending; in the 1st ending it's | D-7 / G7 Ab7b9 |)

That means to play the D-7 for two beats and the G7 C7 for one beat each. (Note the D-7 is a D minor 7 chord spelt D F A C not a D7 chord spelt D F# A C).

You're looking at the newer Real Book, version 6 that made some "corrections" from the version 5, I suspect Aleck has version 5.

Regarding the accuracy and statements like 50% of the chords are wrong. There are some tunes were people will argue over the correct chords but it's no where near half the chords. Also, who is to say which version is the definitive version. Different artists will choose different chords and even the same artist will sometimes play the same tune differently from performance to performance. A song like Summertime, there are so many ways to play that tune. Few play the Gershwin changes, Miles certainly didn't. And there are so many ways to play Rhythm Changes (I've Got Rhythm).

The person who transcribes and notates these tunes could pick from one of many recordings all with different changes or just use his own favorite changes. I have tunes where I write up my own changes that are variations from what you might find in the Real Book and aren't based on anyones recordings.

If you want to see something interesting, compare 'Round Midnight in the 5th vs the 6th edition. Very different. I can dig them both. Or compare the turn around on Footprints, 5th vs. 6th editions. In this case I much prefer the 6th edition (but turnarounds are kind of a musicians playground anyways, one can take liberties).

However, there are a few tunes that do bother me.

All Blues is an example. The first chord change from G7 to C7 really screws up a lot of bass lines. So many take the bass line and move it up a 4th at the C7, while on Miles' recorded version the bass line stays constant over those changes. Instead of the C7 the could have said C7/G or Gm6 or Gm7, all of those would have pointed the bass player in the right direction. In my experience most bass players get it wrong. In a sense the Real Book has changed the 'standard' way this jazz standard is played. But who am I to say it's wrong, moving the bass line up a 4th creates a different effect, but they both sound fine.
© PG Music Forums