PG Music Home
Posted By: 90 dB Amazing Slow Downer - 01/29/14 05:54 PM
A neat little program for learning parts. Free to try - $50 to buy.

http://ronimusic.com/
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 01/29/14 06:21 PM
Absolutely, this is a very helpful utility for learning licks or transcribing songs.

If I recall correctly, PG Music carried something very similar a decade ago. It was called Slow Blast, and the upgrade was called Slow Gold. Same purpose, and very handy indeed.
Posted By: Mac Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 01/29/14 08:11 PM
Some may not realize that the Windoze Media Player has a plugin that will play back any media file that the player can handle at reduced speeds but without changing pitch, set by a slider.

Comes in handy.

--Mac
Posted By: rbsoulman Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 01/31/14 03:44 AM
Hey Mac, does the 'windoze' media player come with this app or do you need to add it in. sounds like a useful tool
rb
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 01/31/14 06:46 AM
It should be part of the Media Player, although I think pitch change occurs.

Here's How
Posted By: Mac Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 01/31/14 01:38 PM
View -> Enhancements -> SRS WOW Effects

And then you use the little horizontal arrows to go thru all the SRS WOW Effects until you find the, "Play Speed Settings".

And this one does NOT change Pitch with the Speed.

I've used it in transcription for a long time, sometimes it is just easier than loading another program to do that, since I'm likely already using the WMP to hear the tune in the first place.

I kind of like the fidelity of it a bit better than most, too, of course, when slowing down audio, there will always be losses so don't think that it is going to be pristine audio or anything like that, that is not what I mean. I do think it sounds a bit better than most of the others, though, and that makes for a more pleasant transcribing experience - and occasionally even makes it easier to hear what's really going on in a fast passage. YMMV

--Mac
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 01/31/14 02:10 PM
Sheesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0
Posted By: Mac Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 01/31/14 02:15 PM
Hey, you should know me for the cheapskate I am, R, by now, Fitty Bux iz Fitty Bux!
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 01/31/14 08:29 PM
The pitch/stretch algo that is in PG Products should also work but you'd have to load in the original file.

I did know about ASD - friends have used it for a long time.

I did not know about the tool in WMP - I will be using that in the future.

-Scott
Posted By: newbert Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 02/01/14 01:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Mac
Hey, you should know me for the cheapskate I am, R, by now, Fitty Bux iz Fitty Bux!

True dat.

There's a program called "Transcribe!" (imagine that) that does what Amazing Slow Downer does (and more, such as detecting chords, separating tracks (somewhat), etc.) for $39. (Save $11.) There's a 30-day fully-functional trial too. I just bought it after trying it out. It works well for my purposes.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 02/01/14 02:38 PM
OR.... put that 45 on the turntable and turn the speed to 33 1/3 smile

lift..drop..play...lift...drop...play..lift drop..play...

"TURN THAT DAMN RECORD PLAYER DOWN!!!!!!"
Posted By: Mac Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 02/01/14 02:59 PM
The record turntable speed trick, in which the selected speeds were intentionally chosen such that each one would replicate the analog music at octave intervals and exact half or doubled speeds, was the way to do it at one time, certainly.

The same applied to analog tape speeds as well.

I find that I do appreciate not having to deal with the slowed down passage also being one octave lower, though. Much easier to differentiate notes that way IMO, plus the fact that I can use digital audio files, mp3's, etc. and even youtube published recordings for the purpose of transcription, practice and learning.

Whatever method you like to use, the most important aspect of the thing is that the way to improve your skills rapidly and with efficiency is to Transcribe, Transcribe and Transcribe.

--Mac
Posted By: rbsoulman Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 02/01/14 11:36 PM
thanks for the tips guys.
i sure appreciate the shared knowledge.

some of the humour is pretty good too...

rb
(from the YT where it's minus 7 celsius today)
Posted By: Alicelewis Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 03/20/14 11:13 AM
Hi 90 dB! I hope you're fine. I visited your links which really i like it. It's very useful for me.
Transcribe is worth whatever it costs now and more!

I cant believe a lot more people didnt mention this already............

Amazing slow-downer is a JOKE compared to what transcribe will do. Google the features of TRANSCRIBE

and see for yourself. EVERY serious musician has Transcribe!

If you are a casual, hobbyist musician than it wont matter..........but if you are a serious musician and want by far the best software available for learning and transcribing music, Do yourself a favor & get Transcribe!
Posted By: ZeroZero Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 03/31/14 05:34 PM
To strike a contentious note...
You already have the best software - your brain.

Take any piece you know well, play it in your mind and slow it down - its easy

take a piece you are working on, perhaps from a recording, play a few bars. Stop the recdording and paly it back in your mind, but slower. Its easy, and there are no pitch effects.

Good news is you can take your equipment most places your instrument goes, I say most, because my mind desrets me sometimes
Posted By: music2jam Re: Amazing Slow Downer - 04/01/14 06:26 AM
I use a product called Song Surgeon. It has many features not found in ASD and also some not found in Transcribe. One neat little feature is called Speed Trainer. It allows you to set a beginning and ending tempo and a % change and every time it loops it automatically changes speed.
That's what I use 'Transcribe' for. Think it was $30 after the free trial. It will let you loop a section and it has a speed slider without changing pitch

Still don't have VG's lead on 'Liza Jane' down pat, but getting closer.

Also Troy Cook's lead on David Ball's 'Bad Day For The Blues' is a tough one with a speedy run at the end I'm still not sure of.

Steuart Smith's leads on 'How Long' by the Eagles are fun.

Yeah, I like Transcribe.
© PG Music Forums