PG Music Home
i need a celtic feel but bodhran doesn't seem to be anywhere in BIAB
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: wherre can i find a bodhran in 3/4? - 10/07/23 04:33 PM
ok so i should have looked in Real Drums not RTs! but all the 3/4 choices are complex, i just want a simple 3/4 that underlines the rhythm of a 3/4 at 150 bpm. i know that's quite fast but all i need is a simple 1 2 3 with the stress on the 1
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: wherre can i find a bodhran in 3/4? - 10/09/23 01:15 AM
Bob,
I found three listed that might work:
1:
BodhranCelticSlipJig^
Memo: A Bodhran is a traditional hand drum that is popular in Celtic music. The slipjig is a waltz with unique accents.
Not all variations have an A and B substyle. The name of the variation indicates the distinguishing instrument or playing technique used for each substyle. There are 8 substyles:
i - Woods
ii - Brushes
iii -Br,WdSim
iv - Br,WdBsy
v - BrshSimp
vi - BrshBusy
vii - WoodSimp
iiv - WoodBusy

2:
BodhranTradJig
Memo: A traditional jig in 12/8 time with a bouncy feel.
Suggested tempo range 100-140

3:
Memo: BodhranTradSlipJig
A traditional Slip Jig on a bodhran played in 9/8 with accents on beats 5 and 9.
Suggested tempo range 100-140
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: wherre can i find a bodhran in 3/4? - 10/09/23 04:12 PM
thanks - i'll try the substyles on the first one and let you know how it goes
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: wherre can i find a bodhran in 3/4? - 10/10/23 02:44 AM
Yes, it could be tricky. The Bodhran is usually played in a stylish manner. Hope you find something that works.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: wherre can i find a bodhran in 3/4? - 10/10/23 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
Yes, it could be tricky. The Bodhran is usually played in a stylish manner. Hope you find something that works.
Could this be a time where an audio file might be a better bet than a RealTrack/RealDrum? There are cetraily tracks/loops on the 'Web; whether they suit is another matter. I just search: bodhran audio.

I'd rather have expected bodhran in 12/8 or similar, rather than 3/4, but maybe that's just my presumption.
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
[quote=AudioTrack]

I'd rather have expected bodhran in 12/8 or similar, rather than 3/4, but maybe that's just my presumption.

The OP is probably looking for a Slip Jig (9/8) instead of a Jig (6/8) or Double Jig (12/8). A Reel is 4/4 straight time. I can't think of any 3/4 reels of the top of my head—not saying they don't exist but finding a bodhran pattern would be hard. The Hornpipe is a cross between the reel and double jig where it's 4/4 but slower with a swing feel.

I made my living touring the world playing Celtic folk music from 1988–'91 when it became a side hustle. After I lost the use of my left arm in 2009, I switched to the bodhran as it became one of the very few instruments that I can play one-handed. As one can imagine, when I need a bodhran track, I pick up me drum, don't cha know.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: wherre can i find a bodhran in 3/4? - 10/11/23 04:38 PM
i fudged it by using the drum grid editor in RB (does it exist in BIAB?) and adding a medium tom on beat 1 and a high tom on beats 2 and 3

local folk bands have percussion provided by a player sitting on a box (it probably has a proper name) and that was the sound i was looking for. bodhran players are stylish as audiotrack says!

yes edit - looked it up and its a cajon
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: wherre can i find a bodhran in 3/4? - 10/11/23 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
[quote=AudioTrack]

The OP is probably looking for a Slip Jig (9/8) instead of a Jig (6/8) or Double Jig (12/8). A Reel is 4/4 straight time. I can't think of any 3/4 reels of the top of my head—not saying they don't exist but finding a bodhran pattern would be hard. The Hornpipe is a cross between the reel and double jig where it's 4/4 but slower with a swing feel.

I made my living touring the world playing Celtic folk music from 1988–'91 when it became a side hustle. After I lost the use of my left arm in 2009, I switched to the bodhran as it became one of the very few instruments that I can play one-handed. As one can imagine, when I need a bodhran track, I pick up me drum, don't cha know.
Those are the kinds of rhythms that were in my mind, but I was, as you, presuming a Celtic feel and we could be totally wrong.

One's a bit limited with an arm out of action, which must be incredibly frustrating. So many instruments expect two/need hands. The zither family might offer possibilities, I suppose. Nicely portable.
© PG Music Forums