PG Music Home
Posted By: donojazz MIDI Import Help - 07/24/16 03:53 PM
Help

I have been searching for a decent set of instructions on how to break apart midi channels into individual instruments after I import a midi file in BIAB. I found a BIAB WIKI and tried to follow those instructions, but I cannot separate all the instruments the way it is described. It allows me to separate melody and then move 1 channel to solo. I really want to separate all.

I keep playing with the SEQ Button to trying and to move the channels, but that doesn't seem to help. The copy to channel function doesn't move from melody channel either.

The song is pretty basic - bass, 2 guitar (acoustic,nylon), banjo and drums. I didn't expect it to be this hard.

Thanks
jd
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: MIDI Import Help - 07/24/16 05:08 PM
Instead of using BIAB, open the midi file in RealBand. Each instrument will be on a separate track and can be edited and modified individually.
Posted By: donojazz Re: MIDI Import Help - 07/24/16 06:10 PM
Thanks Charlie,

Are you saying that I cannot use Band in a Box to turn on/off channels on an imported MIDI like I would do with a style. I do not need to edit the notes in the tracks, I want to break up the tracks into individual voicings capable of being turned on and off.

jd
Posted By: rharv Re: MIDI Import Help - 07/24/16 06:20 PM
Actually, in my experience, a lot of it depends on the original MIDI file type.

"Standard MIDI Files come in two basic varieties: a Type 1 file, and a Type 0 file (a Type 2 was also specified originally but never really caught on, so we won't spend any time discussing it here). In a Type 1 file individual parts are saved on different tracks within the sequence. In a Type 0 file everything is merged onto a single track."
https://www.midi.org/articles/about-midi-part-4-midi-files

It may be that simply saving the MIDI file as type 1 is all that is needed .. that said, BiaB does reserve certain channels for certain tracks. This may cause you to need to change some channel assignments.
Even if opened in RB, if it is a type 0 file all channels will likely open on a single track .. but in RB you can use Track-Extract Channels to Tracks to quickly correct.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: MIDI Import Help - 07/24/16 08:49 PM
Originally Posted By: donojazz
Thanks Charlie,

Are you saying that I cannot use Band in a Box to turn on/off channels on an imported MIDI like I would do with a style. I do not need to edit the notes in the tracks, I want to break up the tracks into individual voicings capable of being turned on and off.

jd

No. You can do those things in BIAB. It is easier, better and can do more advanced work with midi in RealBand.

You can turn tracks on and off in BIAB by selecting the Green Sequencer Button.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: MIDI Import Help - 07/25/16 04:16 AM
jd,

Adding on to Charlie's and rhav's posts....

When you load a midi into BIAB, it can only be put on either the melody track or the soloist track.

It sounds like you want to split the file across the different BIAB tracks. If this is the case, it's not possible. The other tracks (Guitar, Bass, Drums, Piano, Strings) are exclusively BIAB accompaniment tracks.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: donojazz Re: MIDI Import Help - 07/25/16 12:22 PM
Thanks Noel,

That's what I suspected after spending a lot of time playing with the midis. The BIAB Wiki implies that but never specifically states it.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

jd
© PG Music Forums