PG Music Home
Posted By: critter Transfering all music related programs - 11/24/16 03:44 AM
What's an easy way to take all my music stuff, DAWs, and all songs etc. Want to keep in this computer but want to send it all to my new computer, any suggestions?
Thanks
Posted By: MarioD Re: Transfering all music related programs - 11/24/16 11:27 AM
Check out Acronis,

acronis.com

This will work for you.
Posted By: critter Re: Transfering all music related programs - 11/29/16 04:11 AM
I just want to transfer files from certain daws and also the daws themselves.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Transfering all music related programs - 11/29/16 11:51 AM
You can copy/move individual files with Acronis. There are some free ones that will do that also, check here

https://www.lifewire.com/free-backup-software-tools-2617964

As you know data is not problem as you can copy data but your programs can be a problem. You may have to deactivate, move, then reactivate them. Hopefully you wouldn't have to use the install disks.

Good luck.
Posted By: jford Re: Transfering all music related programs - 11/29/16 01:45 PM
Acronis does have some tools to move a complete working configuration to another computer, but in general, the usual procedure is to re-install your applications (any data you create can just be copied over, but apps need to be installed to properly write their information into the Windows registry.

Also, be aware that imaging between machines (such as using Acronis) may result in the application detecting a different computer signature and requiring you to re-authenticate. Whether you can keep the software operational on both machines depends on the license (I have some apps that let me install to multiple machines; others may only be installed to one machine at a time).
Posted By: critter Re: Transfering all music related programs - 11/30/16 02:48 AM
I realize the daw programs will have to be reinstalled, I should have said the songs themselves. Biab, Reaper, Mixcraft 7, etc. those files are what I want to transfer and at the same time leave them in my old machine. It seems I can transfer them on disk, etc. but I want to keep the same files on the old machine. I hope that makes sense.
Thanks
Posted By: MarioD Re: Transfering all music related programs - 11/30/16 11:07 AM
Originally Posted By: critter
I realize the daw programs will have to be reinstalled, I should have said the songs themselves. Biab, Reaper, Mixcraft 7, etc. those files are what I want to transfer and at the same time leave them in my old machine. It seems I can transfer them on disk, etc. but I want to keep the same files on the old machine. I hope that makes sense.
Thanks

Here is what I would do. Get an external HD like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-STEA1000400/dp/B00TKFEEAS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1480514512&sr=1-1&keywords=external+hard+drives

Plug the HD into your old computer and copy all of your songs to it. Then plug the HD into your new computer and copy all of the songs on to it. Now you have three copies of your songs, one on each computer and a backup on the external. Store the external on a shelf or better yet off premises.
© PG Music Forums