PG Music Home
Posted By: Biglad Drums mixing etc - 09/02/17 10:15 AM
Hi guys
I know the RD available are great but do any of you use a drum sampler eg toontrack etc.
id like to get a better mix eq ,was wondering how you use Biab or Real tracks to do this via toon ttrack.i know you can change the drums to midi but for mr this hasn't been successful.
any ideas?
cheers brad
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/02/17 10:34 AM
Hi Biglad,
I got this plugin from waves called jjpdrums and it has some nice presets that really improved the quality of the sound of the drums .Its 29 dollars .I dont know whether that even helps u any urs Hugh
http://www.waves.com/plugins/jjp-drums
Posted By: DrDan Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/02/17 12:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Biglad
Hi guys
I know the RD available are great but do any of you use a drum sampler eg toontrack etc.
id like to get a better mix eq ,was wondering how you use Biab or Real tracks to do this via toon ttrack.i know you can change the drums to midi but for mr this hasn't been successful.
any ideas?
cheers brad

Love toontracks, Love EZD2 even a big fan of JamStix. But not in BIAB. The way to mix them all together is over in Reaper.
Posted By: Matcham Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/02/17 07:25 PM
I'd love to know if anyone here is successfully triggering drum samples using Realdrums. But unless the audiophile version of Realdrums includes separate tracks for each drum instrument I can't see it happening.

There was a forum conversation recently about altering the sound of Realdrums. A few options came up eg parallel compression. Maybe check it out.

When I want to work with midi drums (often) I start with a midi jam pack, maybe using Realdrums for reference. I think that's as close as you'll get, but look forward to hearing from others.
Posted By: rharv Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/02/17 08:09 PM
At the end of many RD audio source files there are individual samples. You have to check the file, whether WMA or WAV (audiophile).

You have to build your own drumkit/sampleset (depending on the target player) using these hits, but yes I've done this.

PG said it was OK to do this for personal use. By that, I took it to mean it is OK to do for your own song/library, but not OK to monetize it (sell kits using their recordings).

It's possible, but not easy.
YMMV
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/02/17 08:18 PM
Izotope's Neutron has some presets for using on a stereo full kit track and that is, of course, what RD's are. Perhaps I'm less discriminating or it's my old ears or I'm less patient or all three but I find Neutron to be all I need. My DAW Logic Pro X has genre based "drummers" that give you lots of control with individual component tracks but I simply do not want to go there. I may be kidding myself but getting the kick on top of the bass and obtaining a good snappy snare seems to work for me w/o sweating further details. But like, I suspect, a lot of BiaB users: "what the hell do I know about drums?" smile

Bud

PS Pardon the mostly peripheral remarks.
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/03/17 08:10 AM
Hi Bud,
Lol thats exactly it ,Hugh

"But like, I suspect, a lot of BiaB users: "what the hell do I know about drums?" smile"
Posted By: Biglad Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/03/17 12:43 PM
Thank you everyone for your input .I appreciate it cheers brad
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/04/17 01:15 AM
Hi bidlad
You can also build your own drum track from the individual drum sounds inside your real drums track. Just locate the real drum wav file in your program files folder and open that wav file in realband. Go to the end of the track and you will see the individual drum hits. I.e. Kick, snare, toms etc. then select the sound you want and copy and loop it to your new track. I often use this technique to isolate a kick sound.
Hope this helps
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/04/17 08:28 AM
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Hi bidlad
You can also build your own drum track from the individual drum sounds inside your real drums track. Just locate the real drum wav file in your program files folder and open that wav file in realband. Go to the end of the track and you will see the individual drum hits. I.e. Kick, snare, toms etc. then select the sound you want and copy and loop it to your new track. I often use this technique to isolate a kick sound.
Hope this helps

I've found this useful for enhancing or replacing the snare but to build a whole kit, I think, would be very tedious. Yes you could lay it out and loop it...but then you would have a less human sound as every hit of every component would be dead on the beat. One of the cool things about RD's is that, well, they are real smile I'm sure you've noticed the variance in the playing as you doubled the kick. When doubling the snare it quickly became apparent to me that every hit had to be individually placed to precisely double the RD hit. And if building an entire kit the amount of volume shaping on each sound to emphasize turnarounds, transitions, etc, would be staggering.

BTW, for you fellow Apple folks, Logic Pro has a feature that will let you pretty much remove the snare or kick from a RD which allows you to obtain a better sound if you are using the replacement feature as Joanne described.

Cheers,

Bud
Posted By: Matcham Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/04/17 10:07 AM
I'm in Bud. Please lemme know how you can do that in Logic. Might come in useful one day.

BTW I got the impression the OP wanted to trigger Toontrack samples from Realdrum tracks, not build rhythms from individual Realdrum hits. Sorry if I got that wrong.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/04/17 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Matcham
I'm in Bud. Please lemme know how you can do that in Logic. Might come in useful one day.

BTW I got the impression the OP wanted to trigger Toontrack samples from Realdrum tracks, not build rhythms from individual Realdrum hits. Sorry if I got that wrong.

Yeah, there's some OP post diversion here for sure......

Select your drum track, go to Track > Select or Double Track and a dialog box will take you through the process and create a new track below your RD track with a doubled or mostly replaced snare or kick...it's all a bit of a hack as it is designed to be used with the Logic Drums but for the snare or kick it works pretty well on many, but not all, RD tracks.
Cheers,

Bud
Posted By: Matcham Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/04/17 06:13 PM
Bewdy thanks Bud. Reckon I can work it out from there. BTW Logic's Drummer is a gem once you get your head around it. Changing out drums is one of the features I like the most.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/04/17 08:22 PM
I meant to type Track > Replace or Double Drum Track > dialog box

If I spent more time on music productions I'd definitely learn Logic's drummer but we only create 10 productions a year max and often go weeks w/o recording. Just too many outdoors things to do smile

BTW, I would have taken this conversation to PM's but thought there might be another Logic user who'd find it of interest.

Cheers
Posted By: sslechta Re: Drums mixing etc - 09/05/17 12:16 PM
Here's an old reply with info on the individual drum hit abilities of the real drum files.

Drum Hit Editing with Real Drums
© PG Music Forums