PG Music Home
Posted By: Gavin Panning Values - 04/13/20 12:16 PM
Apologies if this information is already covered elsewhere - I couldn't find it anywhere. In the BIAB mixer, the panning can be set to 63 left or right. What does this value of 63 represent? Is it 63%? 63 degrees? Since it is the maximum setting, does it represent 100% left or right and you have to do some simple math to calculate the actual percentage?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Panning Values - 04/13/20 12:58 PM
its half of 127 which is the midi standard of measurement. 0-127 is 128 discrete values. 128 is 2 to the power of 7. So binary data allows midi values 0-127.

i nicked the last bit via google but its just the way things are. 0 is central - 63 is hard left and 63 is hard right. ( i think) its cos its PC and computer based rather than anything else. after all binary data is just 0s and 1s so you need to work in digital and binary concepts.

just the way things are - use the sliders to move left and right and let your ears decide rather than try to work out the maths. after all you wouldn't tell the lead guitar to move 20% to his right would you? smile
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Panning Values - 04/13/20 01:43 PM
Yes, the explanation for this and other similar scales is based on binary numbers, and the value stored for this parameter in each song in the original version of BIAB. Yes, -63 means 100% to the left.

To think of it another way, suppose the scale were -100 to +100. Because the 127 possible values would be spread over a larger scale (200 plus zero), you would find some (with rounding) where, say, 87 was the same as 88.

The next step here would be to change BIAB songs to accept and store a larger scale, but that could make past songs incompatible.
Posted By: Gavin Re: Panning Values - 04/13/20 02:06 PM
Thanks guys. This helps. I was trying to understand it in relation to the scale used by my DAW, which goes 100% left and 100% right. So it seems that 67 in BIAB = 100 in the DAW.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Panning Values - 04/13/20 02:13 PM
Yes.

Programming professor's aside:

Except it's 63, not 67.

From -63 through zero up to plus 63 is 127 possible whole numbers. This is the largest number of integers you can represent in 2 raised to the 7th power. The next number, 128, or 2 to the 8th, would require you to go into a second byte. Adding that second byte to each song took up valuable storage space in the early days of computing.

And that's the basic explanation for the Y2K problem, if anyone cares...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Panning Values - 04/13/20 07:02 PM
Logic Pro X, our DAW, uses the same scale. Took me a LONG time to get used to it.

Bud
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Panning Values - 04/13/20 09:21 PM
While the explanations of binary range above are correct a better question would be why not convert this to something usable by the end user who is not a programmer? In my opinion these values, the reverb and other settings should be expressed in percentages and not as a number of bits! Every time I go from BIAB to MODERN software I must do the math to figure out comparable settings for my tracks.
© PG Music Forums