PG Music Home
Posted By: Dan Ridder Music sometimes pauses while performing - 09/19/21 12:20 PM
I have BIAB Ultra and just love it. The problem I'm having is sometimes While performing my BIAB MP3 song file that I have built will stop playing for a second or two and then resume. Its just random and never the same song file. That's quite annoying. Here is how I have everything set up: I have all my BIAB songs saved as MP3. While performing I have my Dell computer (windows) hooked to a small Yamaha mixer via USB cable. I then add my voice and guitar to other channels of the mixer and then the final mix is sent to my powered PA system. I know when my computer is hooked with my yamaha mixer the sound driver defaults to the yamaha sound driver. When the computer is not connected to the mixer the computer sound driver becomes the default. I'm wondering if while performing I should NOT hook the computer to the mixer and just send the MP3 song directly to my PA system using the Earphone Jack. And then just use the mixer to add my voice and guitar. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks
Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to suggest you look in a different direction. Your problem could be software-based. Dell and other vendors load lots of bundled software that may be running in the background, and interrupting your digital audio every so often. How many programs are running in the background? How many are showing on your taskbar?

Try running the free DPC Latency Checker. For Windows 10, 1000 is the correct minimum reading (not zero). See if you have red spikes. The website gives instructions of what to try if you do.

Windows Process Monitor gives even more details about the same condition, but you're on your own.

Is this a laptop? The first thing to do with any Windows laptop is go into the Power Settings and bring the CPU up to 100%.

Also while in Power Settings, make sure the USB ports are not set to shut down after a few minutes.

Write back with your results, or questions.

ps And whatever you do, don't use the headphone jack into an amplifier. Not only is it a level mismatch, but those little jacks break easily and, more often, can give a tremendous noise into your PA when jostled.

EDIT: This easy article just posted by Dan, another user here, tells about the power setting adjustments for digital audio on a Windows computer.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-optimize-windows-10-power-settings-for-higher-performance/
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Music sometimes pauses while performing - 09/19/21 12:40 PM
If you're playing mp3's at the gig you may consider dumping the PC for a tablet or phone (or even mp3 players if they still make those).
Plenty of software out there for setlists, eq, etc on either ios or android.

You can output audio a variety of ways from those devices (bluetooth, digital audio via usb, even the much maligned headphone jack out).

just a thought.
Posted By: Teunis Re: Music sometimes pauses while performing - 09/19/21 06:28 PM
Hi, as Matt said, ensure your pc is setup to best for music.

I had the issue once when I started to use a new laptop/tablet. I could see the CPU at 100%. It was Norton thinking nothing was going on so it could do a backup and whatever.

Basically when I do a show I set the device into airplane mode (so nothing can talk to the device), then turn off Norton for a length of time.

I also agree with not using the PC speaker jack. I use an audio interface connected via USB but I also use the audio interface for my guitar in. The audio interface connects to the PA. This allows things to be balanced prior to the PA (guitar to backing tracks). My guitar amp and stomp boxes are all software devices controlled by a MIDI foot controller.

The guitar and mic go via Harmony Singer 2 guitar into the audio interface and voice into the PA. (This gives me vocal support).

All quite simple.

Tony
The issue is certainly in your system. Unfortunately, troubleshooting it can be an absolute time consuming hell.

I recently had a similar issue on my Mac. It wasn't BIAB specific but apps would freeze giving me the spinning beach ball—touching my trackpad brought everything back to life till the next time.

After spending many hours with the Activity Monitor and other built-in diagnostics, then consulting with Apple Engineering, the problem turned out to be a conflict between Dropbox and an .exe used in all versions of Corel Paint. Dropbox refuses to acknowledge it but I need DB in my work. Removing Corel completely did the trick — I've made them aware of the issue but they haven't released a fix.

I haven't done Windows troubleshooting in years and no longer know where to begin.

I agree that iPads or even an iPod Touch are great for triggering live performance tracks. I use TwistedWave for iOS which is much, mush faster for this than Apple Music/iTunes/Memos etc. The problem with an iPhone is that you need it in Airplane Mode or a call or text can screw you up if received during performance.
How does it play when you are simply running a set of headphones and NOT using the USB mixer?

Is it a smooth playback or does it still do weird things?

AND... to be clear.... this is a rendered MP3 and not a playback from inside BB or RB.... correct?

EDIT: Is this in a studio situation or are you using this to perform live gigs in this manner?
Yes, lots to know when we hear back from the original poster Dan.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Music sometimes pauses while performing - 09/20/21 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran

I agree that iPads or even an iPod Touch are great for triggering live performance tracks. I use TwistedWave for iOS which is much, mush faster for this than Apple Music/iTunes/Memos etc. The problem with an iPhone is that you need it in Airplane Mode or a call or text can screw you up if received during performance.

Yes indeed.
People tend to learn that gotcha pretty quickly.
Even an email receipt or text receipt alert can get in the way.
Its pretty easy to deal with. You just need to remember.

I use a tablet for performance with the phone handy as a backup.
I've used the phone a couple of times just to see how it worked.
Perfect.
Same software/data on both. Anytune Pro. Bluetooth pedal works on either device.
Often I just use bluetooth to connect my tracks to a mixer or powered speaker.
© PG Music Forums