PG Music Home
Posted By: Bass Thumper Johnny Cash? - 07/17/23 10:37 AM
For those skeptics that think AI is still years away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyfQVZHmArA
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Johnny Cash? - 07/17/23 02:19 PM
Sadly, that thing is an ear worm for me.... **chuckle**

Problem this tech will get better.

Deb
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Johnny Cash? - 07/17/23 04:09 PM
It is just scary good. I can see why the entertainment industry is concerned. Actors and Singers getting replaced by CG and AI. Not too far away.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Johnny Cash? - 07/17/23 05:25 PM
Call me old fashioned, call me over the hill.

I know the horse is out of the barn, but I don't like this.

It's one thing to imitate a band, but to imitate an individual to this degree of accuracy should be considered theft.

Johnny's voice should be owned by Johnny and no one else . . . imho.

What's next?
Is someone going to clone an identical human being of you from material collected from the last public rest room you visited, and have that human grow to any age in just a few hours? And then, just for grins, program this "person" to commit crimes?

The building blocks of this bio-technology already exists.
Posted By: jdew Re: Johnny Cash? - 07/21/23 11:09 AM
I guess I'm old fashioned and over the hill too.

Call me a dinosaur
Call me yesterday's news
Call me irresponsible.. undependable.. unreliable too

Its one thing for some person to imitate Elvis or Johnny Cash or play just like Charlie Parker. That's a real person doing something... maybe its not unique or very good or worth anything, but it is still an actual person. We have all learned something along the way by copying some riff or melody someone else played. Everyone does it... but that's not what's in the video is it???

- start rant

Some computer software that imitates someone's singing, writing, playing, etc is to me just unacceptable. In my opinion AI software simply doesn't have any place whatsoever in music, literature or art. Music, literature and art are the finest examples of human creativity... and I stress "human" and "creativity"... I find some jerky software burping out imitations insulting and degrading to any actual real person that can play any musical instrument at least kinda sorta, write a simple paragraph or doodle a drawing.

- end rant

Gee, I don't have a strong opinion about AI do I?
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Johnny Cash? - 07/25/23 04:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper

It's one thing to imitate a band, but to imitate an individual to this degree of accuracy should be considered theft.

Johnny's voice should be owned by Johnny and no one else . . . imho.

What's next?

What about the multitudes of Elvis impersonators and the tribute bands that are dead ringers visually and musically? It's apparently NOT illegal to imitate someone else. Of course, how one accomplishes the task is still up for debate. I'm good with this as long as they're not claiming it to be the person in question. For me, that's the line in the sand.
Posted By: Doggie Re: Johnny Cash? - 07/25/23 10:04 PM
I'd like to see AI incorporated into an electronic vocal processor to a much higher degree than what we have today
It would still be your voice but made perfect.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Johnny Cash? - 07/28/23 10:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Doggie
I'd like to see AI incorporated into an electronic vocal processor to a much higher degree than what we have today
It would still be your voice but made perfect.

Now that would be really cool. I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I'd like to see that with the ability to enhance.... change to an older or younger voice version of you, and incorporate aspects of other singers whose voice you like. I mean, hey, why not? Right? Me with overtones and vocal characteristics of Trace Atkins/George Strait.... what a combo.
© PG Music Forums