PG Music Home
Posted By: ZeroZero Jimmy Page deconstructs Stairway to heaven - 10/10/14 08:13 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29550639
I never thought that this song just happened. It always sounded like a lot of serious work.
There is an excellent article in the October 2014 edition of Recording Magazine with John Davis the Mastering Engineer who worked with Jimmy Page on the remastering of the Led Zeppelin albums.
@ZZ: Legendary, Classic Rock. This one will endure for a long time, a very long time.

Thanks for sharing
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Jimmy Page deconstructs Stairway to heaven - 10/14/14 03:33 PM
Maybe the article should be titled :

"Jimmy Page Reconstructs Spirit" grin

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/20/314256004/led-zeppelin-sued-over-stairway-to-heaven-guitar-line

This lawsuit is nothing but opening a can of worms - all over a fingerpicking chord progression that Spirit surely heard someone else do before they did it. God only knows how many songs that same progression has been used in over the last hundred years.

Josie
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Jimmy Page deconstructs Stairway to heaven - 10/27/14 10:16 AM
Page is a notorious thief.

A list of some of the songs Zep stole from other artists:

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."

"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.

"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).

"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."

"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."

"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).

"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."

"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."

"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).

"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.

"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.

"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.

"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.

"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.

"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."

"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

Page always preferred stealing from dead Bluesmen - they rarely sue. grin
© PG Music Forums