PG Music Home
Posted By: dcuny Chord Substitution - 12/20/13 10:42 PM
I don't have the 2014 version (yet), so I'm haven't been able to verify how BiaB behaves. But Chris_Kn noted that if a particular type of chord wasn't found in a User Style, BiaB would simply not generate anything.

Would it be possible for BiaB to have a fallback list as an option? Some possible substitutions:

C5 -> C
C7 -> C
Cm7 -> Cm, E/C
Csus4 -> F/C
Cmaj7 -> Em/C, C
Cmaj9 -> Em7/C, G/C
C11 -> Gm7/C, Gm/C, Bb/C
Cdim -> Ebm

If the set is really sparse, a fallback might have to call another fallback, so:

Cmaj7 -> Em/C -> G/C -> G

This obviously isn't optimal, but it's probably more helpful than not outputting anything at all.

I know that I could generate these substitutions by hand, but that would cause problems for tracks that do have the right chords.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Chord Substitution - 12/20/13 10:56 PM
Hi David,

Yes, it already has a fallback. So it should never play silence.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Chord Substitution - 12/21/13 12:45 AM
I figured it was probably too obvious. smile

Thanks!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chord Substitution - 12/21/13 01:05 AM
Good question, David. I always wondered about this also.
Posted By: Mac Re: Chord Substitution - 12/21/13 01:11 PM
This can be noticed by entering certain chords and then listening to what certain RealTracks play for those chords.

Perhaps easier to spot when using a certain RealTrack that has become more familiar to you, a lot easier when the RealTrack has the accompanying Notation, if you're a reader type.

Good keyboardists and guitarists have to think like that a lot of the time anyway - and such can add an openness to your comping and etc.

Finding the two notes that are most important for any given chord and internalizing that information is a large part of the job. The Shells.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums