PG Music Home
Posted By: Nomi Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/05/16 04:48 PM
Please make Biab a 64 Bit host

Regards.

Nomi
Posted By: SFG Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/05/16 11:23 PM
+1,000,000
Posted By: MikeK Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/05/16 11:41 PM
Been discussed/requested a million times already. MAYBE SOME DAY it will happen? smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/06/16 11:26 AM
Originally Posted By: MikeK
Been discussed/requested a million times already. MAYBE SOME DAY it will happen? smile

A BIG +1
Posted By: v1597psh Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/15/16 03:38 PM
On the Mac, it won't be 64-bit until they move BIAB from Carbon to Cocoa
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/15/16 08:21 PM
Yes, a native 64 bit would be better than using workarounds to implement 64bit VST's etc.

+1, again.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/16/16 01:55 AM
There is hope I would say, a little ray of light: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=374334#Post374334
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/16/16 03:13 AM
Yes, I read that with some enthusiasm also...
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/16/16 02:51 PM
But that was for Mac, right? A totally different effort I would assume. And driven by the Mac version possibly becoming obsolete on new Mac OS.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/16/16 04:19 PM
Do you guys know the definition of insanity?
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/16/16 05:05 PM
I think with the all dreaming, wishing, mentioning, suggesting, asking, begging, pleading, insisting, demanding, threatening, it would have to come into reality from that alone ! smile
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/16/16 06:09 PM
I'm dense; I admit that in advance. With that said, I just do not understand WHY a 64 bit software application is such a big deal. What do you gain beside the capability to use huge, ram intensive sample libraries? How does 64 bit operation help an application run more efficient than the same 32 bit program's counterpart? Why is so many users so insistent on 64 bit?
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/16/16 06:22 PM
"i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 4 GB ram, 480GB HDD"

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273194
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/16/16 10:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline

True that my laptop runs 64 bit Win 7 but the only 64 bit applications are the accessory apps included with the operating system. Every program I've installed is a 32 bit application.

I remember the link and reread it to refresh my memory. I didn't see any reason other than personal preference. A second reason given was that 64 bit software is the direction the computer market is moving to but that is more an observation than a reason.

The first reason has merit. For example customer desire for variety forced the automaker, Ford, to add exterior colors to their production pallet.

As best as I can determine the main benefit of a 64 bit operating system is a 64 bit system can manage more RAM memory than a 32 bit system. 32 bit systems limit RAM allocation to no more than 2 GB of RAM per process, no matter how much real or virtual RAM is available. The 2 GB per process limitation does not exist with 64 bit systems.

On the other hand 32 bit systems split RAM memory into smaller chunks than 64 bit systems so you are less likely to encounter "low on memory" or "out of memory" warnings in a 32 bit system when both systems have the same amount of RAM memory.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/17/16 04:48 AM
I would say without doubt that it's inevitable to keep up with the rest of the audio world. You should still have have a 32bit program option for those with 32bit OS's as with most DAW's.
I use to run XP 32 and it was always crashing, blue screening, and had to reinstall so many times after bad crashes but I have had Win7 64 since it came out and it might of crashed twice and never had to reinstall it.

That's how I look at 32 bit PG apps, like XP 32 compared to Win7 64, we need a Win7 64 BIAB/RB. Sure 32bit it is usable but can be very stressful, I don't need anymore stress, so fingers crossed.

Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/17/16 05:42 PM
I agree and do not doubt that there will be 64 bit Windows and Mac versions of Band-in-a-Box someday in the future. Indeed, Peter Gannon has said as much in prior posts. He just has not announced when 64 bit versions will be available. On the other hand, I am not aware of any time PG Music has ever announced a new feature or product so not announcing this feature is not new.

What bothers me is so many posters insist that they got to have 64 bit but can't say why. It reminds me of the old joke about the kids in the back seat asking, "Are we there yet?" The answer is always no until the car arrives at the destination.

Well, I've said my piece and feel better now. Thanks for letting me vent! smirk
Posted By: MarioD Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/17/16 05:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I agree and do not doubt that there will be 64 bit Windows and Mac versions of Band-in-a-Box someday in the future. Indeed, Peter Gannon has said as much in prior posts. He just has not announced when 64 bit versions will be available. On the other hand, I am not aware of any time PG Music has ever announced a new feature or product so not announcing this feature is not new.

What bothers me is so many posters insist that they got to have 64 bit but can't say why. It reminds me of the old joke about the kids in the back seat asking, "Are we there yet?" The answer is always no until the car arrives at the destination.

Well, I've said my piece and feel better now. Thanks for letting me vent! smirk

I would like to have 64 bit so I can use my ram intensive VSTis without having to use a wrapper. I also fear that PGMusic is loosing sales because it is still 32 bit. I have heard and read that some people wont really evaluate it as they only use 64 bit programs. YMMV
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/19/16 03:38 AM
Render track 32bit

Render track 64bit less than half the time

Posted By: funkycornwall Re: Make BiaB a 64 Bit host - 11/28/16 08:46 AM
I just don't understand the obsession that BIAB must be 64-bit and many people seem to be viewing BIAB as a DAW program which it really is not. From my point of view I simply generate real tracks or whatever as I require then pop them into my DAW program for further refinement and I turn off all the BIAB effects as I know I will add these later in my DAW. The generation of wave files for tracks in BIAB is very quick and entering chords is also rapid. I never use BIAB endings or choruses/repeats preferring one long chord sheet.

I'd rather PG Music spent time improving, refining and adding more Real Tracks which have so transformed the program. Yes it would be nice to have a better GUI but again what there is is perfectly functional. Making the program 64-bit or as a vst would probably mean curtailing all other developments for a period of time and the resulting lack of income. The vst option would also mean BIAB becoming one of thousands of competing vst products. From what I see the market is so saturated that many of these products make quite a meagre income. You also of course have to protect the program from piracy.

I am sure it will become 64-bit eventually and hopefully they can achieve this without stopping all other work on the program. In the meantime I still think it is an amazing product which despite some flaws achieves what no other software, as far as I am aware, can do.
© PG Music Forums