PG Music Home
I would like to see a function to make the visual transpose for each track/instrument individually selectable (or preferably automatically preset for the respective instruments). So for example if a song is set in C major, notes in the Alt-Sax track should automatically be displayed transposed to Eb major, trumpets in Bb major and so on
At the moment I can only choose a general visual transposition for all tracks, so I have to change the visual transposition for each instrument in the arrangement before I print the respective note excerpt.
Or does this option already exist and I just don't know it?
Originally Posted By: Brille
...Or does this option already exist and I just don't know it?

If anyone knows the answer, I'm guessing it will be Matt.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was holding back in case someone else knew how. I sure don't.

So,

+1 to the request.

Just to be clear, this is about printing. If you are in front of a BIAB screen, you have one instrument in your hands and can adjust the key shown on the screen to play along using that one instrument.

But,

Printing is something I never do in BIAB. I export the song using Music XML to a notation program. When I assign an instrument to a track in my choice of notation programs, Presonus Notion 6, I have a choice of viewing the score in concert pitch, or viewing each instrument in its correctly transposed key. When I print parts, however, no matter what view the display shows, it automatically prints each part transposed for that instrument. This is one of a myriad of functions that notation programs do that perhaps BIAB could leave alone in favor of other things. But, that's not for me to decide, so the +1.

Another vote of support. It would be a worthwhile addition to the printing functions.
+1
I am thinking not only of the print, but also of the display in the notation view. If I select the track of a transposing instrument, this tracks notation should be displayed transposed, while tracks of concert key instruments stay in concert key.
I see. Yes, this could be simpler than what we do now.

I support the request, but it can get complicated. If you choose trumpet, it should be in Bb. But I have trumpets pitched in A, Bb, C, F,and G. I also used to have a D/Eb trumpet.

The point is, making this automatic is ok but there still needs to be the possibility of adjustment.
Originally Posted By: Brille
I am thinking not only of the print, but also of the display in the notation view. If I select the track of a transposing instrument, this tracks notation should be displayed transposed, while tracks of concert key instruments stay in concert key.

I agree with this. But the transposition must be in semitones so it would accommodate all instruments.

+1
Bernhard,
Yes, this would be good. I’ve been holding off as I’m not sure how it should implemented. For example, are you wanting the typical transposition native to the instrument? If so, that would be a single checkbox to X transpose to current instrument.
So he re is my take.

I would like to take a tune set in the general concert key, e.g. C.

For alto or bari sax, this needs a chord and lead sheet in the key of A to display the correct notes for an Eb (-3 semitones) to play in proper concert pitch (C in this example). However, for the output notes from the midi to sound in tune with the concert key now requires a +9 semitone transpose. As of now, you need to transpose the concert key song file -3 semitones so the chords and notes are correct for the Eb instrument, and then use Options...Preferences...Transpose to set a +9 output note transpose to sound the correct concert pitch, e.g. playing an Eb instrument with the BiaB backing.

Two issues: This output transposition change is not stored with the song (File save), and it is applied to everything, not just a single track/instrument.

One: build a function/macro to accomplish these transposes, with one input (what semitone transpose do you want?)

Two: Allow this to be applied on a track-by-track basis (one track may have a Bb instrument, one an Eb instrument, and some are concert-tune instruments (like strings).

Thanks for your consideration.

Three: Save this info with the song file,
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
Bernhard,
Yes, this would be good. I’ve been holding off as I’m not sure how it should implemented. For example, are you wanting the typical transposition native to the instrument? If so, that would be a single checkbox to X transpose to current instrument.

Peter,
yes, basically this could be just as simple, a cross to show a tracks notation in the instrument typical transposition. But then it would have to be clear which instrument is assigned to the track. Because this is of course not clear with MIDI tracks, a dropdown menu could offer typical transpositions selectable.
Yes, good suggestion. Thanks.
© PG Music Forums