PG Music Home
Posted By: Limau Playback stalling. - 11/19/18 09:59 PM
Hi, I am using BIAB for Windows 2013 upgrade from an earlier version. It is developing some idiosyncrasies. The worst is that it will occasionally stall during play. Any suggestions for this symptom?
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Playback stalling. - 11/20/18 12:10 AM
Hi Limau,

We'll figure it out. smile Which version of Windows are you using?

Let's click on Options, then MIDI/Audio Driver Setup. Is "Use VST/DXi Synth" checked?

Please click on Audio Settings next. What's the Audio Driver Type?

Please click Audio Drivers next. What's selected in the window that appears, and what else is available?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Limau Re: Playback stalling. - 11/20/18 01:06 AM
Hi Kent, thanks for the quick response. VST/Dxi is checked. Driver type MME. Drivers Microsoft Sound Mapper, in and out.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Playback stalling. - 11/20/18 04:52 PM
Hi Limau,

Which version of Windows are you using, and which options do you see listed in Audio Drivers besides the Sound Mapper?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Limau Re: Playback stalling. - 11/20/18 05:15 PM
I am using Windows 10 -64 bit. Sound Mapper is the only audio driver, other than the Input Realtek. Output changes from Realtek to Bose to Sony depending, but the problem is the same. I am in Australia, so our schedules many not overlap all the time.
Posted By: Teunis Re: Playback stalling. - 11/21/18 12:57 AM
Hi, just a thought but under your device drivers - sound, video and game controllers how many audio devices do you have running. For example, I use an external Roland Quad Capture sound card. There is also the onboard sound with its drivers. Now if both the on board and USB sound card drivers are loaded there may be times I get this brief stoppage. However, if I disable the extra audio drivers keeping the Quad Capture as the audio device the issue seems to disappear.

Just a thought
Tony
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Playback stalling. - 11/21/18 02:31 AM
dpdeview to the rescue ... de install all the unsed USB drivers. switch off power management in all the (remaining) hubs:

Attached picture power management.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Playback stalling. - 11/21/18 02:40 AM
Limau, there are many possible reasons and tons of things to report, test and try. To help us narrow it down, can you make a short recording of the problem, upload it somewhere like Dropbox, and post a link to it here?
Posted By: Limau Re: Playback stalling. - 11/21/18 04:39 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, Fiddler and Tony. I will look into those. However, this is a recent problem, about a year, and it ran fine from 2013.
Matt, How would you record it?
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Playback stalling. - 11/21/18 05:10 AM
In case windows 10 (64bit pro in my case) has been updating itself, IMO the cause of many problems, switch it off PERMANENTLY with a tool called windows 10 update switch. Windows update should be only allowed to run on special occasions f.i. with security updates. Roll back your graphics drivers, or maybe install the latest ones, and read this: stuttering
Switch off hardware acceleration manually in device manager if you can find, for your GUI driver's settings.
More: fast startup and as Matt said, there are more possible causes like processor behavior slowing down due power or hibernation settings usually not necessary on a desktop anyway.

If Windows 10 pro is tuned right it's a great OS, but Microsoft lets it's more professional users really down by forcing us to use it with far too many unneeded gimmicks and useless bollox. Worst is that when you leave Windows updates active, or even off in services, it resets it self on again. And all of those carefully turned off settings too. I am in the process of installing W10 LTSB enterprise, supposedly better at that. -F
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Playback stalling. - 11/21/18 04:59 PM
Hi Limau,

Please try this: Open the Windows Control Panel, go to Power Options, click Change Plan Settings beside whichever plan is selected, then Change Advanced Power Settings.

Power Options will appear. Scroll down to Processor Power Management, expand it by clicking the + button, then expand Minimum Processor State.

If it's set to something low (5% is a common default), change it to 100%, restart the computer, and see if the problem goes away.

For some reason a lot of copies of Windows 10 have the processor power throttled to save electricity, which can cause performance issues in audio software. Changing that setting gets it running at full speed.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Limau Re: Playback stalling. - 11/22/18 04:10 AM
Hi Kent. The Minimum Processor State was indeed set to 5%. I reset it to 100%, and the problem seems to be resolved. Thanks for the lesson, and I apologise if I posted this thread in the wrong forum.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Playback stalling. - 11/22/18 05:27 PM
Hi Limau,

Fantastic! I'm glad we got it working.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
© PG Music Forums