PG Music Home
Posted By: Gravel Using BIAB live - 01/29/17 02:36 AM
I am not sure how to ask this question or if this is the right forum, but here goes:

I want to use BIAB as backing tracks while I play guitar and sing. On most of the songs, I want to start playing with BIAB at the same time. On some songs I would like to start playing my guitar first and then have the track come in later.

During practice at home, I just use the lead in feature of BIAB. But when playing live, I don't want the audience to hear the lead in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Using BIAB live - 01/29/17 03:47 AM
Gravel,

There's a visual count-in that might be useful for what you want to do.

Under "Preferences | Count-in/Met".... see the image below.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture metronome.JPG
Posted By: Gravel Re: Using BIAB live - 01/29/17 09:37 PM
Noel,

Thanks for the information! I have used the visible metronome in the past and it worked well. But, I want to get away from having the computer next to me. The computer will be operated by a friend, and I will not be able to see the screen.

Can you think of a way to do this? I am a complete novice at using sound equipment, but I know that it can be done because I have been to several concerts where the band uses backing tracks and the audience never hears the cue in.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Gravel
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Using BIAB live - 01/30/17 01:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Gravel
Noel,

Thanks for the information! I have used the visible metronome in the past and it worked well. But, I want to get away from having the computer next to me. The computer will be operated by a friend, and I will not be able to see the screen.

Can you think of a way to do this? I am a complete novice at using sound equipment, but I know that it can be done because I have been to several concerts where the band uses backing tracks and the audience never hears the cue in.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Gravel

In ear monitors with a click track will do the trick.

This -video- is a great tutorial.

Charlie
Posted By: Gravel Re: Using BIAB live - 01/30/17 02:52 PM
Thanks charlie!

This is more line with what I am looking for. I have listened to part of the video and so far it is telling me what I want, but it will take me a little while to process the information! My brain doesn't seem to learn as fast as it use to. Everyone says it is because I am getting old, but I refuse to accept that! wink

Gravel
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Using BIAB live - 01/31/17 01:05 AM
Gravel. Working with a click track will not necessarily be as complicated as displayed in that video.

Their setup is fairly advanced. In your situation, preparing the tracks will likely be the most difficult part of the process.

However, learning to work with a click track can provide many advanced procedures to make your show much more professional and sharp.

Glad you found some value in the video.

Charlie
Posted By: Tony Wright Re: Using BIAB live - 02/01/17 12:24 PM
There is a perfect way to do what you want, especially since you don't want the computer next to you however it does involve getting another piece of equipment - a foot switch which send "space bar" to the computer. You also need to set up BIAB to start with one of the spacebar options shown on the first preferences page and select "pause until midi or key received"

This gives you complete flexibility to play whatever length of intro you want, at any tempo you want then bring in BIAB in strict tempo at just the right time. I do it this way for almost every song although I am using a keyboard. I love this method because it allows me to "throw away" the tempo for the intro, this can be very effective.

Foot switches are not expensive and can be easily programmed to sent "spacebar"

Tony
© PG Music Forums