PG Music Home
Posted By: kroma Why flat notes wont be flat notes - 09/09/17 04:21 PM
I enter melody line in C major (no #'s or b's) using b's to flat single notes. I can't produce Gb because it will always be F#. Why is that?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Why flat notes wont be flat notes - 09/09/17 05:50 PM
Hi kroma,

Welcome to the forums.

What version of BIAB do you have? Also, you don't mention whether you are having problems with entering a note or a chord.

I have BIAB 2017 and I've just tried (a) entering a Gb chord and (b) writing a Gb note on the staff and both worked fine.

For the note, I had to right-click and then select "Edit Note" so that I could force the accidental to a flat.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Why flat notes wont be flat notes - 09/09/17 07:47 PM
Did you set the initial key signature to something other than C? If it’s in D, for example, expect BIAB to decide it’s an F# rather than Gb. But as Noel noted, it’s easy to force the enharmonic note you want.
Posted By: kroma Re: Why flat notes wont be flat notes - 09/10/17 02:17 PM
My BIAB is 2011, the intial key setting is C so that's why F#/Gb problem is causing a headache...
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Why flat notes wont be flat notes - 09/10/17 06:52 PM
True enough. I don't remember version 2011 and if it's different today, but F#/Gb is a tritone from your key center so it's an even coin toss which one the program will choose to use in the key of C.

What's the chord progression with this Gb chord? That will often determine which it should be. The other determinant in writing music, not always followed but when in doubt, is that if the notes are ascending use sharps, and are falling use flats.
© PG Music Forums