PG Music Home
Posted By: Genghis_McCann Forcing a different rhythm in BIAB - 10/05/17 06:13 PM
I'm playing a jazz waltz. Is it possible to force the guitar & drums to play two dotted crotchets in a bar instead of three one beat notes?
(13th 14th and 15th bars of "Sometime ago" with jwaltzg.sty)
Posted By: jford Re: Forcing a different rhythm in BIAB - 10/05/17 06:37 PM
The rhythm that is played is determined by the style selected. You would have to try some different styles to see if something else is closer than what you are looking for.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Forcing a different rhythm in BIAB - 10/05/17 06:55 PM
If you put a Part Marker on the following bars, does that generate enough of a change? Just an idea.
Thanks videotrack. I'll try it.
Thanks jford. The feel of the music changes just in bars 13 and 15, where the dotted crotchets make it sound almost like two in a bar. I can play it ok with the backing track playing 3/4 but the contrast would sound better if the drums and/or guitar could follow.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Forcing a different rhythm in BIAB - 10/05/17 08:23 PM
I do this in jazz waltzes by using a push on the second chord of the measure. Enter the first chord on Beat one, then on beat 3 type a carat (shift 6 on a PC) followed by the chord. This divides the 3/4 measure into two equally spaced chords.

With pushes (and shots and holds) you can do it for only some of the instruments by fine-tuning the chord settings. Alternatively, generate the tune, freeze it, unfreeze the guitar/drums, add the push to the chords, and play. Some instruments will push, others will not.

I was just playing this tune the other night at a concert. I use the Bob Berg arrangement that goes into Minor for the final 8 bars. Great tune!
Posted By: jford Re: Forcing a different rhythm in BIAB - 10/06/17 11:37 AM
If you only need it for a bar or two, as Matt indicated, you can do it with pushes and holds (for example). However, if you want to do it for the whole song, it makes more sense to find a style that plays, well, in that style.
Posted By: w Re: Forcing a different rhythm in BIAB - 10/07/17 04:25 PM
Do you want to change " midi " data or audiophile files ?

Could you share that song, Sometime ago with us ?

mySystem/computer: macOS High Sierra ( version 10.13 ), iMac 2009 edition .

Thanks Matt. I'm still working my way through the manual and hadn't explored pushes yet. I'll try it.

Your post prompted me to go straight to You-tube where I listened to the Bob Berg arrangement. You're right. The minor chords sound really cool.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Forcing a different rhythm in BIAB - 10/08/17 01:21 PM
Everybody I've shown this arrangement to loves it!

To begin reading about pushes, look in the BIAB Help under "Pushes, Shots and Holds". These features go a long way to making a song sound right. When you know how to do it, my previous answer will make sense, but if you need help, we're here.
I'm using the waltz style _JWALTZG.STY
BIAB splits the bar into two parts instead of three for the purpose of entering chords, and with this style it seems that entering two chords in the one bar results in the guitar strumming these chords in dotted crotchet lengths, even without the push that Matt suggests. Which is what I want. So BIAB seems to have anticipated the issue.

Thanks jford
Thanks Matt.
Will do. Actually I was quite pleased with myself having understood your comments! I must be learning something!
Originally Posted By: w
Do you want to change " midi " data or audiophile files ?

Could you share that song, Sometime ago with us?

It's a "realtracks" file that I'm using, W.
Both the Bob Berg version, and the Bill Evans version are searchable on youtube. As Matt says, it's a lovely, relaxing jazz waltz.

I'd love to share the BIAB version I have, but I don't know if forum rules allow sharing of tunes composed by someone else. I notice that the FAQ file specifies sharing of "original" songs. Maybe there are copyright issues involved.

Cheers
Posted By: jford Re: Forcing a different rhythm in BIAB - 10/10/17 06:21 PM
Quote:
I'm using the waltz style _JWALTZG.STY
BIAB splits the bar into two parts instead of three for the purpose of entering chords,

BIAB uses the comma to separate two chords within a cell, so you can enter up to 4 chords per bar; two in the first cell separated by a comma and two in the second cell separated by a comma.

If you are using a Waltz style, then you actually can input 3 chords per bar. In the first cell of the bar, enter the chord for beat 1, then a comma and the chord for beat 2. Then enter the chord for beat 3 in the beginning of the 2nd cell of the bar.

Then move on to the next bar for your next chord (for waltz styles, BIAB ignores the 2nd half of the 2nd cell.

(and if you are using a 4/4 time style, then you can use commas in both halves to separate the chords and get 4 chords to the bar).
Thanks John. Good information for a beginner like me. The manual for BIAB is a bit intimidating and I'm essentially learning by using the program and looking up instructions when I need to do something new.

Most of the tutorials on youtube are pretty basic, and don't get into the cooler things that BIAB can do, so I appreciate the tips.

Genghis
(George)
© PG Music Forums