PG Music Home
Posted By: saxmaniac Bass and / or Drums play intermittently - 10/27/17 09:08 PM
Hoping someone can help. I’m a total newbie to BIAB but not new to music. I have BIAB 2017 and Megapak running on a Mac. I’ve entered a basic 12 bar I IV V in C. Chosen a Blues shuffle style - real tracks have been found for bass and drums and sound fine. Trouble is the bass will at times just stop playing (or sounding) for a few bars - sometimes for up to a whole chorus before coming back in. I know it’s not a ‘fault’ so to speak but possibly to do with the style? Or assignment of real track? Is there a way to force or make the bass play in all bars? Appreciate any help. Darrin
What version of BIAB do you have, and have you kept it and RealTracks up to date?

Try Options menu, Return to Factory Settings. You can save your settings if you have version 2016 or later. Then reboot, reload and check. Let us know if this works, because there are other things we can then try, such as removing background processes, or using RealTracks options for slower computers.

By the way, I’m assuming you know about resting instruments, and you didn’t do that.

We’ll figure it out, and if we can’t, PG Music Support will.
Could you try soloing the bass or drums separately to see if they still give problems.

Also, there is an option (I think in Mac's) to disable fast generation. In Windows it is under Song Settings, maybe Command-N on the Mac.

Tick that item and see if that changes/improves anything.

Welcome to the forums.

Attached picture 2017-10-28_11-42-35.jpg
Posted By: babarton Re: Bass and / or Drums play intermittently - 10/28/17 09:49 AM
Might also try un-clicking all of those "allow rests" boxes in Song Settings. It looks a little different in the Mac version than the above, but I'm not computer savvy enough to post a screen shot here like VideoTrack did above.

Bruce
Thanks so much for replying you guys Matt, VideoTrack and Bruce - I’ve been busy with gigs in the last day but will definitely try all of these things and report back - many thanks, Darrin
Okay, I've tried all of the things suggested above by everybody. All of them. Nothing has worked. Just to re-iterate - the progression is playing fine - except for the bass just dropping out. Is it possible that it's 'written' into the style? Meaning that it's supposed to do that? The way that it is happening doesn't sound 'wrong' or 'bad' which is what leads me to believe it's part of the programming with the style or something...? I'm so new to BIAB that I'm still trying to get a grip on how things work with one another. I have watched one or two videos, I'll try and watch more.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Bass and / or Drums play intermittently - 10/28/17 10:50 PM
Could you please capture a screen shot of your view when in standard mode (not full screen view) and then post it to the forum.

This will allow us all to see what style and Realtracks you are using and will help greatly in solving your problem.

To do this...

1. Load the song that has the problem style and is not generating properly.

2. Switch to 'standard view' rather than 'full screen view' (on the Windows version of the program, this option is under the Windows menu and has a shortcut CTRL+T).

3. Generate the song (so that any automatic substitutions and/or changes by BIAB are made).

4. Take a screenshot (I'm not sure how to do this on a Mac but it will be possible).

5. Save the screenshot as a jpg.

6. Go to the below link and follow the instructions on how to upload the jpg image to this thread.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=386690#Post386690

Below is an example screenshot of my BIAB in 'standard view' with a song loaded. When you have the problem style and song file loaded, what your computer shows in this view will be very useful to see.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture chordsheet in standard view.jpg
Thanks Noel. Will do. cheers Darrin

Attached picture BIABscreen.jpg
Hi Darrin
I created a song with exactly the same style and chords and (unfortunately?) the bass and drums played all the way through multiple times.

Could you start an absolutely brand new song and enter the same chords and style and generate it, and listen to see if you have the same problem?

I'm thinking that there might be something in the bar settings that mutes or changes volume at a specific point. If it does the same with a new song then this would disprove that.

Do the B3 organ and guitars continue to play when the bass or drums stop playing?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Bass and / or Drums play intermittently - 10/30/17 07:12 AM
Darren,

Thanks for that, it helps heaps.

Like Trevor, I tried the style and it played for me. There is a great deal of dynamic range though and some of the organ ranges from loud to soft throughout and I found that the soft sound gets lost in the other instruments.

As test, to see if it might be the style's dynamic range, generate a song and then solo the organ and let the song play through and see if the silences still occur. It's also useful to look at the volume bar under the organ track's name to see if sound is being visualised or if that stops happening from time to time.

If it turns out that it's the dynamic range that's causing the problem, this can be made more uniform using the PG Music plugin called PG Dynamics. (I'll explain a bit more about that a little later if needed.)

Like Trev said, it would be good to use "File | New" to create a sparkling new worksheet in case there is some setting that's no obvious present in the existing one.

Regards,
Noel

© PG Music Forums