PG Music Home
Posted By: Biglad co writing with biab - 04/17/18 03:02 PM
Hi Guys
im working with another Biab user both fairly new to the program.how can I send or take/save a song and use it in his home.
im assuming you can save a type of ile then put it on a usb stick then use in his .how ever I don't know how to or what to save as.any help would be appreciated
thanks john
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: co writing with biab - 04/17/18 03:31 PM
Lots of answers to that question. You could:

1) Email the song project (SGU or MGU) file beforehand so your partner has an opportunity to open up and review the song project before you arrive. Song projects contain only data so they are SMALL in size and don't take a lot of time to upload as attachments. One pitfall is your email virus programs may need to be trained to let Band-in-a-Box files through.

2) Both of you and your writing partner can subscribe to a free, online file storage app like +++ Dropbox +++ , +++ Box +++ or +++ 4shared +++ . Link the two personal accounts together and pass files back and forth as desired. This works regardless if the co-writer is across the street or on the other side of the world.

3) Record the song project audio.

4) If both you and your co-writer are using the Windows version of Band-in-a-Box then you also have access to RealBand. Import the song project SGU or MGU file into RealBand then save the results in RealBand's native file type, SEQ. RealBand SEQ files contain both audio and data so you can be sure both of you hear the same thing.

That's off the top of my head but I'm sure there are more answers than I've provided.
Posted By: w Re: co writing with biab - 04/17/18 05:37 PM
^

excellent advice.

Just an additional comment regarding the following advice:

Quote:
4) If both you and your co-writer are using the Windows version of Band-in-a-Box then you also have access to RealBand. Import the song project SGU or MGU file into RealBand then save the results in RealBand's native file type, SEQ. RealBand SEQ files contain both audio and data so you can be sure both of you hear the same thing.

If you and your co-writer do not have RealBand then as best as i understand this exchanging/collaborating of real tracks data and real tracks instruments both you and your co-writer need to have the same real tracks.

Let's just say you used the following in your project then your collaborator would also need those instruments and style. ( screen shot )

Good luck on your collaboration. Sounds very exciting to me.

Attached picture screenSHOT 2018-04-17 at 2.33.35 PM.png
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: co writing with biab - 04/23/18 11:34 AM
You can work back and forth on the writing using just BB and it's MGU file format. Those files are small and can be attached to an email. This is really good when you're still in the structural writing stages up until you record that audio wav track.

SGU also can be used but are generally larger especially when they have wave files. You can record a single wave file in BB.

Using Real Band lets you really work on the song and record multiple tracks of audio and you can save it as a SEQ file and share it using any of the large file transfer sites on line.
Posted By: Biglad Re: co writing with biab - 05/04/18 09:31 AM
thank you everyone for the advice and help,much appreciated
john
Posted By: Biglad Re: co writing with biab - 05/04/18 09:31 AM
thank you everyone for the advice and help,much appreciated
john
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: co writing with biab - 05/04/18 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Biglad
Hi Guys
im working with another Biab user both fairly new to the program.how can I send or take/save a song and use it in his home.
im assuming you can save a type of ile then put it on a usb stick then use in his .how ever I don't know how to or what to save as.any help would be appreciated
thanks john

You can email BB files and songs from within the BIAB program.

From the top tool bar : File\Save Special\Email song file(s) as attachment(s)...

Follow the prompts and select the files from the list you wish to email.

Send the email.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: co writing with biab - 05/05/18 06:57 AM
Just a small wrinkle here...in addition to having the same RealTrack sets, you need to be sure that you and your collaborating partner have and are using the same soft synths and / or midi hardware for tracks that are not RealTracks. I ran into an issue where my partner was using a GM sound set when I was using a non-GM hardsynth on the melody lines.

Jeff
© PG Music Forums