PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor Creating Great Solos - Cut and Paste - 07/06/18 01:13 PM
I hope that this is not fall-down obvious but I am working on a great way to use BIAB Soloist tracks.

When you have created a soloist track in BIAB that is CLOSE to what you want, first render it to .wav or .mp3, then import it to your DAW. Cut/Paste to suit and use the segments as needed.

I'm working on a demonstration and I will post it in this thread later today.

My description leaves a lot to be desired.
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
When you have created a soloist track in BIAB that is CLOSE to what you want, first render it to .wav or .mp3, then import it to your DAW. Cut/Paste to suit and use the segments as needed.

Yep....I've done that from the beginning of using BIAB. (about 6 years ago)
This is a great program with lots of opportunity left to one's song writing imagination.
I feel that approach was incumbent of me rather than just using defaults.
If I were asked, I'd recommend all BIAB users use that approach.

I only have (5) BIAB songs online but I've had as many as (8) separate lead axe/keys tracks that play all the way through the song then I import all .wav into my DAW (Sonar X3)
Then the time vampire process begins.....split all tracks into musical phrases, whether 2/4/8 bars and totally re-arrange them within the song to my liking.
All lead axe tracks on my songs are an re-arrangement of segments from ALL the tracks that I'd imported.
I've certainly confused myself more that once while moving things around so much.
Lots of culling in the process too.

Hope your demo works out to your liking....did I mention it can be a 'time vampire'? smile

But....that's just me.....carry on.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Creating Great Solos - Cut and Paste - 07/06/18 03:38 PM
You two are not the only ones doing this. I have been doing this for years also!

chulaivet1966, you are right about that 'time vampire' comment! The problem is that BiaB generates so many great tracks it can become very difficult to pick some cut and paste-able parts! YMMV
Originally Posted By: MarioD
You two are not the only ones doing this. I have been doing this for years also! chulaivet1966, you are right about that 'time vampire' comment! The problem is that BiaB generates so many great tracks it can become very difficult to pick some cut and paste-able parts! YMMV

Chuckle......
Very true....I generally like all of the BIAB lead tracks that I've imported and it's damn difficult decision making. smile
It's taken me a couple days on some songs.

But....once one takes the time to use this approach I believe one can make their songs better in many cases and feel more personally involved with the end product.

Back to it.....
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Creating Great Solos - Cut and Paste - 07/06/18 04:14 PM
Welp, you guys have thrown Water (I think it was water) on my parade. I had thought Josie Cooper was cut/pasting to get those wonderful tracks so I tried it.

No sense in my trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm outta here.
I'm outta here.

No need for that weed hopper....your post just may have been an epiphany of creative license to those that have not considered employing the 'time vampire' approach.

Back to it......
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Creating Great Solos - Cut and Paste - 07/06/18 05:02 PM
Each time I have a session with this awesome software I discover a new musical avenue to stumble down and explore. I probably use only about 10% of it's features to date.

The new tutorials for RealBand have my total attention lately. lol
Posted By: dcuny Re: Creating Great Solos - Cut and Paste - 07/06/18 05:58 PM
A while back, I wanted to create a song that stretched what could be done with RT solo instruments. The first portion played the melody fairly closely, but after that the instruments would "imply" the melody more than actually hit specific notes.

I thought the result was fairly good: Over The Rainbow

I decided to use the harmonica on the track because at that time not many RT instruments had long notes. If I were to do it again, I'd probably try a fiddle or cello.

In any event, I generated a bunch of harmonica tracks. Because the I had a specific rhythm I needed, I found the phrases that were "close enough", and in some cases, I stretched/compressed them in time a bit.

Then I used pitch shifting to move them to the notes I wanted.

The rest of the solos were constructed in a similar way - I found phrases I liked, and in some cases time stretched/compressed and did a bit of tweaking to some of the notes.

Since I had a specific melody I wanted the instruments to imply, there was a bit of pitch shifting going on.

But that's pretty unusual. Most of the time, it's just a matter of generating solos and finding my favorite bits and stringing them together.
Posted By: mbsmike Re: Creating Great Solos - Cut and Paste - 07/07/18 02:27 AM
I just did this today haha. 13 "takes" of slide guitar. I cut each measure in Cubase.......106 measures. Now that's a lot of guitar phrases to waddle through! Turned out pretty good too.

I really wish there were more slide guitar realtracks though. My choices were very limited. Actually only 2 that fit the style I used. I don't remember exactly what it was called but a southern rock style, perfect candidate for slide guitar.

PG Music listening? smile

Mike
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Creating Great Solos - Cut and Paste - 07/07/18 09:43 AM
Welp, you guys have thrown Water (I think it was water) on my parade.

Nobody would throw water on your parade Donny. A little Irish Whiskey perhaps, but definitely not water... grin
© PG Music Forums