PG Music Home
Posted By: mascis 5/4 Time Signature Using Real Tracks - 10/26/18 10:49 AM
What are my options for using real tracks for a song in 5/4.

I couldn't find anything in the video tutorials.

Is it possible?

Thanks in advance for any responses
Posted By: jford Re: 5/4 Time Signature Using Real Tracks - 10/26/18 12:15 PM
First of all, BIAB doesn't support 5/4 time and there aren't any 5/4 RealTracks. BIAB does have some 5/4 MIDI styles, but understand that they are implemented by dividing a 4/4 bar into 5 pieces. So it sounds like 5/4, but your notation will still be in 4/4 and will look pretty weird.

I suspect the only thing you might could do is to choose an appropriate 4/4 RealTrack and then alternate bars by setting the bars as 3 beats followed by 2 beats (to represent one 5/4 bar across two bars 3+2), or 2+3. Don't know what it will sound like; it may be choppy, but that's the only think I could think of. And forget about any coherent notation.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 5/4 Time Signature Using Real Tracks - 10/26/18 01:45 PM
As John said.

If the song is Take Five, then the pattern is 3 beats followed by 2, repeating this. If it’s a different song, it might break down as 3-2, 2-3, 4-1 etc.
Posted By: mascis Re: 5/4 Time Signature Using Real Tracks - 10/26/18 02:29 PM
I see, after playing around for a bit I should be able to make do with the midi tracks for these I think.

Some have real drum tracks at least.

Thanks for your help!
Posted By: rharv Re: 5/4 Time Signature Using Real Tracks - 10/26/18 09:03 PM
Just FYI, using Realband instead makes odd time signatures behave closer to what I expect. At least for me.

RB handles these odd time signatures much differently than BiaB.
Instead of making an odd time signature lay over a familiar 3/4 or 4/4 time signature/tempo combination, it actually implements the odd time as expected.
One of the many reasons I prefer RB over BiaB.

Dug up an example, a song created using 7/4 time signature in RB
Drums, bass, keyboard and rhythm guitar were all generated in RB (odd time), and the other tracks are real musicians (all members of this forum).
http://masteringmatters.com/stuff2/Count_Me_Out.mp3
Posted By: 8T8KEEZ Re: 5/4 Time Signature Using Real Tracks - 10/27/18 01:50 AM
I realized, that BB does NOT mean Band In A Box OR Band In the Box - In means "Barely Basic" - Sorry, but - I returned this product 4 years ago due to the lack of integrating multiple time signatures in a single song ... 10,000 Reasons is a perfect example - Everlasting God, is another perfect example. I can understand maybe the reasoning, but, it just isn't sitting well with me, unfortunately.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: 5/4 Time Signature Using Real Tracks - 10/27/18 03:48 AM
Originally Posted By: 8T8KEEZ
I realized, that BB does NOT mean Band In A Box OR Band In the Box - In means "Barely Basic" - Sorry, but - I returned this product 4 years ago due to the lack of integrating multiple time signatures in a single song ... 10,000 Reasons is a perfect example - Everlasting God, is another perfect example. I can understand maybe the reasoning, but, it just isn't sitting well with me, unfortunately.

Hi 88Keys

If you returned it 4 years ago, could you share with me why you're now not happy with it?

I integrate multiple time signatures into many of my songs.

Band In A Box makes no statement that I know of that it can do everything. But what it does, it does very well.

Instead of criticizing without explanation, why don't you explain exactly why Band In A Box cannot be used to create the song "10,000 Reasons" or "Everlasting God"? Perhaps it could, but I would invite you to discuss exactly what the problems are.

Maybe the issue isn't the program itself but something else?

Looking forward to your clarifications. Thanks.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 5/4 Time Signature Using Real Tracks - 10/27/18 05:35 AM
Originally Posted By: 8T8KEEZ
I returned this product 4 years ago due to the lack of integrating multiple time signatures in a single song ... 10,000 Reasons is a perfect example - Everlasting God, is another perfect example. I can understand maybe the reasoning, but, it just isn't sitting well with me, unfortunately.

Hi 8T8KEEZ,

I've just looked up the music to 10,000 reasons and I see that it is essentially 4/4 with the occasional bar of 2/4.

I'm not sure why you've had problems with this this time signature change in the past. It's one that I have used many, many times over the years. I've also have songs that change between 4/4, 3/4 and 2/4 without problem. I run BIAB for Windows.

If you have a look at the below video of mine on Vimeo, it shows BIAB playing the chord sheet of one of my songs from 3 or 4 years ago. As can be seen when watching the playback for this 4/4 time song, bars 13, 22 and 40 are all 2/4 and BIAB handles the time change fine.

https://vimeo.com/143978481

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: 5/4 Time Signature Using Real Tracks - 10/27/18 11:30 AM
VT, time signatures other than 2/4, 4/4 and 3/4 do not export to a DAW correctly. If you work only in RB there is no problem but if you export to a DAW the export is always 4/4. That makes it a real PITA in a DAW.

I think that it is time for BiaB to catch up with the rest of the world in time signatures. YMMV
© PG Music Forums