PG Music Home
More newbie moves on my part. I have a loaded MIDI song. I have applied a RealTracks style that I like. I can get the song to play. One style I have tried has a sax soloist playing and I like it. Is it possible to display somehow the notation of what the soloist is playing hopefully in guitar TAB? Is this something that BIAB can do?

Thanks so much!
Hi Backing Track,

Yes it can be done smile

The basic principle is...

1) Transfer the MIDI notation for the Realtrack to either the Melody or the Soloist track.

2) Set the Melody or Soloist track to the Track Type of "Guitar Standard Tuning".

3) Set Notation Mode options to display tab.

The PDF below explains how to do this. Please read through it first before following the instructions. It will be best to begin at part [C] (on the PDF), most likely.

While this looks complicated, once you get used to it, you'll find that it's actually quite straightforward.

All the best,
Noel

Attached File
A most excellent document, Noel.

Extremely helpful and definitely worthy of cataloging. Thanks!
Trev
Wow, Noel96 this is really fascinating and thank you for so generously providing this wonderfully detailed document. Super.

This brings up some questions for me as I have read the document several times.

1. The first instruction asks us to uncheck 2 boxes, which is no problem, but can you tell me what these phrases refer to in general? In other words what are "custom track labels and descriptions" and "auto-generate track labels"? I would just like to know what these refer to if they stayed checked

2. It looks like from these amazing instructions that I CAN take a sax solo generated by BIAB and by following your instructions, turn it into a guitar TAB readout. Do I have this correct? So the solo does not have to originally be guitar, but can be any instrument and translated into guitar notation in TAB? If so, this is astounding.

3. You have now brought my attention to the fact that the mixer has tracks called "soloist" and "melody" and that I can use either for this purpose. Can you tell me in general what these tracks are originally for and what is the difference between the two.?

I can't believe how helpful this community is - very appreciative.
By the way Noel, I see that you don't accept PMs. Can you tell me what software you use to make your excellent instructions? I was very impressed by the graphic rendering. Thanks.
Originally Posted By: BackingTrack
Wow, Noel96 this is really fascinating and thank you for so generously providing this wonderfully detailed document. Super.

My pleasure.

This brings up some questions for me as I have read the document several times.

1. The first instruction asks us to uncheck 2 boxes, which is no problem, but can you tell me what these phrases refer to in general? In other words what are "custom track labels and descriptions" and "auto-generate track labels"? I would just like to know what these refer to if they stayed checked.

If those options are checked, then BIAB will label the track names according to the instrument loaded on that track. This happens on the mixer as well as the upper menu. For example, if an "Organ" Realtrack is loaded on a track, the track will be called "Organ."

2. It looks like from these amazing instructions that I CAN take a sax solo generated by BIAB and by following your instructions, turn it into a guitar TAB readout. Do I have this correct? So the solo does not have to originally be guitar, but can be any instrument and translated into guitar notation in TAB? If so, this is astounding.

That's 100% correct.

3. You have now brought my attention to the fact that the mixer has tracks called "soloist" and "melody" and that I can use either for this purpose. Can you tell me in general what these tracks are originally for and what is the difference between the two?

When BIAB was first designed decades ago, it was entirely MIDI. The Melody and the Soloist tracks were the ones that users could notate melodies on. This notation was preserved even when songs were regenerated. The other tracks (Bass, Drums, Piano, etc.) were reserved by BIAB for the creation of backings.

Hope that helps,
Noel
By the way Noel, I see that you don't accept PMs. Can you tell me what software you use to make your excellent instructions? I was very impressed by the graphic rendering. Thanks.

For my graphics, I simply take a screen shot and then paste it into PicPick (free for home users).

Once in PicPick, I added the boxes, numbers and text and then use Windows snipping tool to capture the part of the image that I want to post.

The pdf was created using LibreOffice Writer (donation-ware).

All the best,
Noel
Remarkable! This Forum reminds me of my experience 2 decades ago when building a large format capable darkroom in my home and of course there were innumerable technical questions even as to faucet choice! If it were not for a few incredibly helpful forums, I would have made many costly mistakes. This experience here is like that. It really is the best of the internet with people helping people. Lovely.
© PG Music Forums