PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder Style Question_Take #2 - 01/20/19 10:30 PM
A question I asked earlier got lost in translation and plunged into a rabbit hole at the bottom of a vortex where it was consumed by a caterpillar.

So I will ask it another way:

If you are writing country, any kind of country, modern country to classic country, any kind of country, and you care to share, could you share your three favorite styles (some of these might come from rock listings or singer-songwriter listings, by the way) in this thread.

I am simply interested in knowing the favorite country or singer-songwriter styles that people use on a regular basis if you do.

I know some say they don't use styles. Like Floyd.

So Floyd simply pasted:

Tempo 75

RealTracks in style: 1827:Bass, Electric, PopModernGrooveA-B Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 3231:Guitar, Electric, Background CinemaHeldHighDarin Ev16 090
RealTracks in song: 2542:Pedal Steel, Background ModernBalladAtmosphere Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1037:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1947:Mandolin, Rhythm PopModernGrooveAndy Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 1169:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockMediumBrent Ev 120 - SET THIS TO "HELD" in the Picker - It is not for the solo - it is for "big held chords in the chorus"
RealDrums [in Song:ModernPopBallad16ths^01-a:Quiet hat, Sync-kick, b:Open hat, Sync-kick

Begin with just Acoustic, drums and bass.
added the mandolin later in the verse (for more flavor)

The Big Chords (solo guitar held) get added in the chorus. And the steel.
The CinemaHeldHighDarin can be added later in the chorus for more of that "new sound".

That was great. A Floyd style. If you want to show one of your homemade ones that would be great.

I think anyone struggling with songwriter demos could simply benefit from hearing some of the favorite styles of their colleagues, and listening to their "go-to" styles in their songwriter genre.

This would be beneficial for learning on a basic level.

I will start.

Three of my favorites (that don't always work though, which is why I was hunting for something more workhorse-like to use on occasion) are from the Xtra Styles:

Thicket

Universe

Takeoff

Yours???

Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Style Question_Take #2 - 01/20/19 11:01 PM
So as close as we can get to Luke Combs "She Got the Best of Me" is pretty much what I'm taking from this?

----SOOOOOOO KIDDING----

Is this something you will need ongoing, I'm guessing? If so, I can work on a few and do what FJ did...paste them. I thought he sent you a file as well; and that was where a big of confusion came in for me. The paste thing I can do though. smile

Glad to help if I can.

Let me know.

For the record, I thought you explained yourself plenty well in the first thread.:)
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Style Question_Take #2 - 01/20/19 11:22 PM
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaroooooooon!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I am fine now.

Your 3 go to styles man. That will do. Or Paste.

Paste away!!!!!!

smile

And yes, I just want songwriters (especially country) to put their 3 favorite go to styles, here, in this thread. It would be educational.

Glad you see it man. I was about to have myself committed.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Style Question_Take #2 - 01/21/19 05:25 PM
So.... I think, if you're trying to write modern country, you really need to think outside of the box.

By that, I mean, you can use BB/RB but you have to choose careful the tracks you plan to use and not use the ones that sound too mundane.... if you catch my drift.

Listen to the song you mentioned. Pay attention to the drum track. You're not going to get BB or RB to give you a track like that and.... that drum track is so critical to the feel and groove of the song... without it, you got something less than a hit. Now.... do that same experiment of listening, for each instrument and you will see what I mean. Don't get me wrong.... BB/RB is a superb writing tool, but.... you gotta find ways to be creative to get a hip, cool, unique, modern country sound. While BB is cool, it won't always get you where you want to go.

Live players on the parts, midi parts played by a live player using samples ( I do this on keys and bass ) Because just the chucking away with a cool groove on an acoustic guitar might be the spice needed to give a tune that unique quality that the BB acoustic, while sounding good, doesn't quite accomplish.

Anyway... that's my take on creating a modern hit sound.

A good example..... try using just BB/RB to recreate accurately, any of the great rock or country songs of recent years. Dang near impossible without resorting to live players on a few of the tracks.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Style Question_Take #2 - 01/21/19 06:38 PM
Think outside the box! smile

Ba da bing! Herb, is this thing on? <tap> <tap>

Hey ladies and germs, be sure to tip your waitresses! We'll be here all night!!

Oh, man.....

Herb, you may be right, but then again you may be right. I have reconnected very tightly to my acoustic these days. She was feeling kinda lonely anyway.

May be for the best.

Back in my loving arms again.

smile
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Style Question_Take #2 - 01/24/19 05:08 PM
Messed around for a few minutes to give you an idea and came up with this. Built off a pre-existing style with a few minor changes.

As a stated, I would continue to pick additional instruments, even drum tracks to change things up..so this is only a starting point.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Untitled Song
File:For David.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 99, Length (m:s)=0:38

Style is _SOUTHRK.STY (Southern Rock Even 16ths)

RealTracks in style: 1418:Bass, Electric, SouthernRock Ev16 085
RealTracks in style: ~689:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 666:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm SouthernRock Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 663:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm SouthernRock Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1035:Banjo, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealDrums in Song: ModCountry16ths^01-a:ClHSSK, b:OpHSSK

Posted By: David Snyder Re: Style Question_Take #2 - 01/24/19 09:41 PM

Thanks Caaron, let me try this out! I'll be back!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Style Question_Take #2 - 01/24/19 09:55 PM

Thanks Caaron, that is really great.

It makes a fine addition to what Floyd put together.

You simply did what I was looking for, and it is so helpful.

I would love to hear other people push out some of their homemade styles or "go-to" styles for others to learn from.

The drum change you made made every difference in the world.

I never would have thought to look at that southern rock style and I never would have thought to change the drums to that.

So again, I would to hear from more people who have done experiments like this and come up with other "modern" styles.

Thanks again.
© PG Music Forums