PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike The girl from Ipanema history - 07/15/20 02:32 PM
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The girl from Ipanema history - 07/19/20 05:59 PM
An absolutely sensational and technically brilliant decomposition and analysis of one of the most famous Bossa Nova tunes ever composed.
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: The girl from Ipanema history - 07/19/20 07:02 PM
Yep....

I've always dug that song....sultry voice and hypnotic appeal.

I made a point to learn it on guitar about 5 years ago.
Whew....makes my arthritic fingers scream at me but I still keep it on my practice-play along-set list.
I played it just 2 hours ago.

Back to it....
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The girl from Ipanema history - 07/22/20 10:15 AM
Very interesting video - I'm extremely unfamiliar with this genre of music as a whole, as well as it's history. I found it really informative. I would never have guessed one of the most heavily recorded pieces of music would be a bossa tune.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: The girl from Ipanema history - 07/22/20 07:44 PM
This is something I'll have to watch fully later, but so far I'm really impressed with some of the things said in the video and it seems pretty fascinating.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: The girl from Ipanema history - 07/23/20 02:22 PM
Tri-tone substitutions written right into the song.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: The girl from Ipanema history - 07/23/20 08:45 PM
I was playing an original harmony to this song in 1964, and this video explains why it (and others) worked. The nebulous quality of the chords in the bridge allow you to take it in many directions.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: The girl from Ipanema history - 07/23/20 11:37 PM
Here's an interesting re-harm of the song by Carol Welsman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=walJ0cKt2kU
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The girl from Ipanema history - 07/24/20 06:24 AM
Another sensational rendition, beautiful, sensitive delivery.

Viva Antonio...
Posted By: rayc Re: The girl from Ipanema history - 07/25/20 07:55 AM
Leonard Bernstein missed the easy bit: metaphors are more poetic/beautiful/effective than similes.
Posted By: Darrow Re: The girl from Ipanema history - 07/26/20 09:40 AM
Very interesting analysis. I learned the Americanized version in F on guitar and soon realized that the original was different but I could never work it out. I never knew it was in Db!
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: The girl from Ipanema history - 07/26/20 09:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Darrow
Very interesting analysis. I learned the Americanized version in F on guitar and soon realized that the original was different but I could never work it out. I never knew it was in Db!

Same for me....I play along with the original so it's Db for me.
It's a cool progression and makes one's fingers work. smile

Back to it....
Posted By: redShed Re: The girl from Ipanema history - 08/04/20 10:19 PM
I just found this youtube video a few weeks and I've been sharing with all my musician friends. Very interesting, it gave me some ideas on arranging. It also helped me realize why I always had so much trouble improving on the bridge.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: The girl from Ipanema history - 09/08/20 08:13 PM
If theory was taught this way when I was in college, half my peers would have flunked but the rest of us would have considered it our best class ever.
© PG Music Forums