PG Music Home
So... you think you want to be a blues singer.... I mean who doesn't...right?

How to sing the blues…

by Lame Mango Washington

(attributed to Memphis Earlene Gray with help from Uncle Plunky, revisions by Little Blind Patti D. and Dr. Stevie Franklin)

1. Most Blues begin, "Woke up this morning."

2. " I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the Blues, 'less you stick something nasty in the next line, like " I got a good woman, with the meanest face in town."

3. The Blues is simple. After you get the first line right, repeat it. Then find something that rhymes ... sort of: "Got a good woman - with the meanest face in town. Got teeth like Margaret Thatcher - and she weigh 500 pound."

4. The Blues are not about choice. You stuck in a ditch? You stuck in a ditch. Ain't no way out.

5. Blues cars: Chevys and Cadillacs and broken-down trucks. Blues don't travel in Volvos, BMWs, or Sport Utility Vehicles. Most Blues transportation is a Greyhound bus or a southbound train. Jet aircraft an' state-sponsored motor pools ain't even in the running. Walkin' plays a major part in the blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die.

6. Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

7. Blues can take place in New York City but not in Hawaii or any place in Canada. Hard times in St. Paul or Tucson is just depression. Chicago, St. Louis, and Kansas City still the best places to have the Blues. You cannot have the blues in any place that don't get rain.

8. A man with male pattern baldness ain't the blues. A woman with male pattern baldness is. Breaking your leg cuz you skiing is not the blues. Breaking your leg cuz an alligator be chomping on it is.

9. You can't have no Blues in an office or a shopping mall. The lighting is wrong. Go outside to the parking lot or sit by the dumpster.

10. Good places for the Blues:
a. highway
b. jailhouse
c. empty house

Bad places:
a. first-class restaurants
b. gallery openings
c. Ivy League institutions
d. golf courses

11. No one will believe it's the Blues if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old ethnic person, and you slept in it.

12. Do you have the right to sing the Blues?
Yes, if:
a. you're older than dirt
b. you're broke
c. you shot a man in Memphis
d. you're blind
No, if:
a. you have all your teeth
b. the man in Memphis survived
c. you have a retirement plan or trust fund
d. you were once blind but now can see

13. Blues is not a matter of color. It's a matter of bad luck. Tiger Woods cannot sing the blues. Gary Coleman could. Ugly white people also got a leg up on the blues.

14. If you ask for water and Baby give you gasoline, it's the Blues. Other acceptable Blues beverages are muddy water and black coffee.

15. If it occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a Blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is another Blues way to die. So is the electric chair, substance abuse, and dying lonely on a broken down cot. You can't have a Blues death if you die during a tennis match or getting liposuction.

16. Some Blues names for women:
a. Sadie
b. Big Mama
c. Bessie
d. Fat River Dumpling

17. Some Blues names for men:
a. Joe
b. Willie
c. Little Willie
d. Big Willie

18. Persons with names like Sierra, Sequoia, Auburn, and Rainbow can't sing the Blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.

19. Make your own Blues name (starter kit): name of physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Lame, etc.) middle name: choose a fruit (lemon, etc) last name: choose a President (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, etc.). For example, Blind Lime Jefferson, or Cripple Kiwi Fillmore, etc. (Well, maybe not "Kiwi.")

20. I don't care how tragic your life: you own a computer, you cannot sing the blues. You best destroy it. Fire, a spilled bottle of Mad Dog, or get out a shotgun. Maybe your big woman just done sat on it. I don't know.
All true.

Cheers,

Blind Lemon Simmons
That was an excellent read!

RA crippled ugly Caucasian.
I am aware that Cyan is not a blues color but...Here is the modern version...lol

I gotta shade of cyan, creepin in my brain

Yes, I gotta shade of cyan, creepin in my brain

My facebook page is down, and I just can't bear the pain

I need my farmville fix; I want my twitter feed

I need my farmville fix; I want my twitter feed

I think I'm going to cut myself and webcast while I bleed

Perhaps it's not the real blues but 99% of the real blues people have passed away. I for one, miss them.

Billy

Yes, Yes, I know, really dark humor.
You also have to have the right instrument to play the blues.

Acceptable:
Guitar (6 or 12 string)
Harmonica
Dobro
Sax
Slow Acoustic Bass
Slow Muted Trumpet
You Get The Idea....

Non-Acceptable:
Harp
Harpsichord
Timpani
Flute
Piccolo
Euphonium
Accordion
Glockenspiel
You Get The Idea...

Blind Lemon Pledge
I thought you had to have a wife, so she could leave, and a dog, so it could come back.
Guitarhacker:

This was a fun post, but I have to disagree with some of the rules:

5. Blues cars: Chevys and Cadillacs and broken-down trucks. Blues don't travel in Volvos, BMWs, or Sport Utility Vehicles. See Terraplane Blues (Hudson)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEioabG8cE8
You have to be either a gearhead or old as dirt to even know what a Terraplane is...

6. Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.
Jonny Lang was 12 when he began playing with the Bad Medicine Blues Band and 15 when he recorded Lie to Me...

a. highway
b. jailhouse
c. empty house

I'd add this one, guarding an ammo dump on your birthday...

20. I don't care how tragic your life: you own a computer, you cannot sing the blues. I once had a Commodore 64 and nearly died of Dysentery, doesn't that count???
Folks coping with first world problems may feel entitled to sing the blues
If you are european (like I am)- you can't sing the blues, though you might feel the blues grin

I woke up early in the morning
I had an empty dog house blues

...... see it won't work :-)
Originally Posted By: jcland
You also have to have the right instrument to play the blues.

Acceptable:
Guitar (6 or 12 string)
Harmonica
Dobro
Sax
Slow Acoustic Bass
Slow Muted Trumpet
You Get The Idea....

Non-Acceptable:
Harp
Harpsichord
Timpani
Flute
Piccolo
Euphonium
Accordion
Glockenspiel
You Get The Idea...

Blind Lemon Pledge

A Viola, Cello or (Bowed)Double Bass could work, but another for the N/A list: Hammered Dulcimer, no, that could never work.
I'm betting hard there is an autoharp in some blues somewhere.

Fun post.

Color-Blind Willie Lee Harlot.
I haven't seen this in over 20 years.

Thanks for the road trip down to The Crossroads…

Little Crippled Grapefruit Nixon
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Guitarhacker:

This was a fun post, but I have to disagree with some of the rules:

5. Blues cars: Chevys and Cadillacs and broken-down trucks. Blues don't travel in Volvos, BMWs, or Sport Utility Vehicles. See Terraplane Blues (Hudson)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEioabG8cE8
You have to be either a gearhead or old as dirt to even know what a Terraplane is...

Jonny Lang was 12 when he began playing with the Bad Medicine Blues Band and 15 when he recorded Lie to Me...

a. highway
b. jailhouse
c. empty house

I'd add this one, guarding an ammo dump on your birthday...

20. I don't care how tragic your life: you own a computer, you cannot sing the blues. I once had a Commodore 64 and nearly died of Dysentery, doesn't that count???

Well...I fit into the "old as dirt" category...lol
Foghat did not write Terraeplane blues. Here is the original recording.
https://youtu.be/iigXKpgrfYo

Robert could very well have stolen it from from someone like Son House or other blues men of the time as they were all world famous for stealing each others songs.

There are many models of the Terraplane made by Hudson and by Essex. These fabulous old cars are well known to collectors, both young and "old as dirt guys"...lol As Terraplane blues was recorded in San Antonio Texas in 1936, the one Robbert sings about most likely was a Essex.
You see "old guys from Texas" know about all this stuff...lol

IMHO, the most important aspect to know is that a blues singer must have soul ... period. And ya either get it or ya don't.

Bud
Updated for 2020

I got my Government Covid19 relief check
I got my Government Covid19 relief check
Spent it all on women & cheap rot gut booze
And now I got nothing to loose
Where's my mule?
Where's my forty acres?
Where's my dream,
Mr. Emancipator?
ha! That was hilarious! Thanks for posting Herb.

FWIW, somebody needs to take those rules and write a song that breaks every one.
That's funny...now I know why I can't sing the blues! Just thinking about, I don't think I can sing anything!

Jeff
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

FWIW, somebody needs to take those rules and write a song that breaks every one.
"Bro country" can use blues progressions but it can never be the blues.
LOL Herb,
Early one morning we drove up highway 51 to Parchment Prison on bald tires and fumes. Sister's old beat up blue Chevy wagon was all we had to go get Aunt Ruby. I heard the old folks saying it was really self defense when she shot that no good loafer five times that night in Memphis. He was one mean ol' cuss. She done her time.

Big Mama Nadine Orange Rind
On the way back from picking Aunt Ruby up from prison, we traded the old car in for a new Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid, put on some Beethoven on the 5.1 surround sound music system and stopped at Starbucks to order her an iced, Ristretto, 10 shot, venti, with breve, 5 pump vanilla, 7 pump caramel, 4 Splenda, poured, not shaken.

Times are hard all over.
© PG Music Forums