Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Here we go again. I'm running a new laptop on a freshly recovered system, windoze 7 the particulars should appear in my signature. Got 2 of these both locked up biab, same old crap! What does it take to use this stuff with out this pc nonsense?

The cheery lil msg from biab/pc reads: access violation@address 0040177 in bbw.exe write of address 396C3F04@0040177 Running a tascam us122mkII recommended by TS on a new toshiba laptop. I really, really hate this!!

Ron

`15 Audiophile, Toshiba17", 3Mhz, 4gig ram, 500gig HD, Win7, Tascam 122mkII interface, Tascam 16 track 8 buss recording mixer, 2 Avalon747sps,CAD VX2 mic, AKG C1000s, mac and Digital Performer.
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Ron,

Is User Account Control turned on? That's what causes most Access Violations in Windows 7 and Vista.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-v...-windows-vista/

Kent
PG Music

Veteran
Veteran
Look at my specs for computers. I've never had an access violation. First thing i did when I got the new one Win7x64 was :
1. remove all Malware detection programs
2. turn off the firewall
3. Turn off the UAC
My Win7x64 machine runs RB so well I've but the XP machine to bed and is only a backup unit. I play 3 times a week so this should tell you something. I can't afford glitches on stage.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for responding, I have the uac turned off since before the problems began. It is not uninstalled, the slider is bottomed out, it's all I know how to do at this point. I'm not sure which specs you are referring to. I checked your details area and it's not there. But I'd sure like to know more about leaning down this laptop. Toshiba has all sorts of things piled on the OS and disabling them in the msconfig>start up area causes functionality problems. I couldn't turn the wifi on and off for an example. Maybe there is another way. I tried the F8 key by itself but at the time it didn't seem to do anything. Could have been me. Any Ideas where I can go for help with what leave and what to toss. I will do as you suggest, if I can, windows7 is not my first language and it's still very new to me. I can do a few things but when it comes to understanding what the apps I don't recognize do... I'm lost. Without that info it's a tedious crap shoot.

Ron

`15 Audiophile, Toshiba17", 3Mhz, 4gig ram, 500gig HD, Win7, Tascam 122mkII interface, Tascam 16 track 8 buss recording mixer, 2 Avalon747sps,CAD VX2 mic, AKG C1000s, mac and Digital Performer.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Silvertones, More thoughts, so do you never get on line with these computers, or do you have put all that stuff back when you do? I've been in mac heaven for 15 years for the most part and haven't had to worry about getting on line with a pc. My G5 is too old to rum audiophile or I'd have gone that route.

Ron

Veteran
Veteran
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64

I'm no expert on Win 7 either. All I did was uninstall the norton AV program, turn down the UAC to the bottom,turn off Windows defender, turn of the Windows Firewall.The Lenovo came with no bullshit ware.I was surprised.Except Norton. Everything else is on there and is needed.
I run an old Dell Inspiron 8100 lappy with Linux for the Internet.
My XP & 7 lappies do not ever go on the Internet.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I was looking at the Lenovo line, the toshi had better specs for the price. I got sucked in by that. But it's loaded with BS ware. I have also uninstalled norton. I did replace it with AVG and bottomed the slider on the uac page. If I have more trouble I'll excomunicate the start up items and security. I can still browse for pc files on the desktop pc with XP. I've often run into trouble
D L-ing suff on the mac and transfering via usb memory stick. Windows goes nuts and thinks the file is a terrorist. And that was on the XP machine. Anyway many thanks to you and Kent for moving me in the right direction.

Ron

S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
I was having lots of Access Violations on my Acer laptop when I first installed Band-in-a-Box 2011 build 312. Just after that I went on vacation with the laptop and did not have Internet for a week, so I learned to live with the errors. I realized I was getting the access violations when I changed settings or changed songs without first stopping the song from playing, so I just got in the habit of stopping the song before making changes. When I got back from vacation I got caught up on my Windows updates and installed BB 2011 build 313. I don't know which update fixed it, but I stopped getting the errors. I don't use that laptop any more, but I went back to it today to try to get it to cause an access violation, so that I could try to trouble-shoot your issue. No luck -- I could not get it to cause the error that was so common when I first installed BB 2011.

Soon after installing BB 2011 I realized I needed more computing power, so like you, I bought a new Toshiba laptop. I left all of the securtiy features in place and have not had any problems.

In trouble-shooting, I would only make one change at a time. If that change does not solve the problem, you might want to change the setting back. I read Kent's post saying User Account Control causes most Access Violations, but I am a sceptic, and you already showed that was not the problem. UAC is the feature that pops up saying are you sure you want this progrom to make a change to your computer. I am going to keep that as long as it is not causing a problem. Where I would suspect to find the problem is with the sound drivers or DirectX.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Any program of feature in a computer used to run audio, that pops up and asks question is a BAD idea. Any program that needs to be periodically update and has automatic update is a BAD idea.

Never allow anything to pop up in the background as even if it is a very small program, it will cause the audio to at the lease stutter, at the worse interrupt and that can cause the access violations. If you just want to play around with music a computer that plays on the internet, does math home work, shops on line download stuff is fine, but you will have to turn crap off to record. But like John said to play live and really record worry free it takes a dedicated system with no internet connection.

I will admit i have to move stuff from the desk top to the recording DAW the hard way but it is worth it.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I read Kent's post saying User Account Control causes most Access Violations, but I am a sceptic, and you already showed that was not the problem. UAC is the feature that pops up saying are you sure you want this progrom to make a change to your computer.

STOM^
It can set off UAC here if UAC is set just so ... if it were blocked in UAC, I could see that causing a lot of errors. That little sub app runs when you import a file, keep take, etc. I don't doubt Kent's claim much. I'm sure he knows of more reasons than just STOM^ too.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Ron,

I turn the Wi-Fi on my Toshie on and off via a switch below the touchpad. It is marked by an illuminated antenna symbol when on.

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe it's time to try "Return to Factory Settings" under Options. My Toshiba has the same specs as yours and I haven't had any problems with it. I have BIAB 2011 and it runs great. Good luck, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Quote:

I couldn't turn the wifi on and off for an example. Maybe there is another way. I tried the F8 key by itself but at the time it didn't seem to do anything.
Ron

To access the features indicated by light gray icons on the certain keys, hold down the FN button (next to Ctrl) and press the other key. My Toshiba also has a wireless icon on the F8 key. It also has a wireless on/off button next to the power button and the Eco button. Using F8 button switch on my Toshiba was a little tricky to get used to at first. When you press FN + F8 it displays a couple of icons on the screen. The first is either On>>>Off or Off>>>On, depending on the current state of the adapter. The second is cancel. The icon that is highlighted when you let go of the FN key is that one that will be selected. Using the wireless button near the power button is easier. Pressing it displays a brief pop-up that says either On or Off.

Jim

Veteran
Veteran
Oh yea turn off the wifi.I do that as well. Forgot.
I played yesterday for 3 hours and that little Win7x64 Lenovo cooked.The Win7x64 KX drivers are much better then the x86 ones.Plus more horsepower in the new computer.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi SaxmanJim,

Thanks for the suggestions. It's possible different models have different issues. Satellite 675D-S7107. The audio drivers are taccam and touted by TS as being very reliable. I've seen the name direct X but don't know what it is. I'll search in a minute and see if I can find it on Toshi. I'm impressed with how good everything sounds in the new version of audiophile, it makes it doubly frustrating that it can't work reliably. I am very grateful for the help here and at Biab TS.

Robh,

You misunderstood me I think. That screen is a biab thing. I've never seen it anywhere else and it comes dead center on the chord sheet only during play. It was a small blank white screen in a grey frame, The screens you are thinking of are usually in the lower left corner. It was rhythmic in it's cycling as long as I wanted to watch and appeared in the same place every 8 bars on the one of bar 8 or 9 I forget. It was about the duration of a 16 note at 120 bpm. That's not like any notification screen I've seen. I had biab running on the same tune briefly last nite and didn't see that behavior. But I agree in principle with what you say Rob about things running in the background being a bad idea. Those ideas have been de rigueur since I began doing audio recording on a puter in 95. Yet someone just stated they are running a

ryszard,

all that is in that location is a light when wifi is on. Unless the light itself is also the switch, there is no such switch on my laptop. If that is also a switch I'd need a tooth pick or ball point pen to turn it on.

raymb1

When you say same specs do you also mean the same exact model? The models all have different features I think. I began having problems as I stated somewhere above, with a new puter, [ factory settings] new interface with drivers blessed by biab TS fresh everything. Disaster. Glad you are having a smooth experience, Are you also running from an external audiophile drive. I only have biab on the toshi internal drive. Everything else lives on the external drive. I don't know if that matters or not.

Ron

Veteran
Veteran
You take all responsibility but you could try running as "THE ADMINISTRATOR".This is not just an admin account but the real hidden one. This is a link on how it's done. Show Hidden Admin Account

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Ron, I did not misunderstand. I was talking about programs that pop up and ask for resources to do things like update and such, not pop up messages in BiaB.

Access violation messages are usually due to something in the system conflicting with BiaB's function. If you are having those you need to sort out what causes it.

That is best done on the phone or on live support chat. They deal with this daily.

We all feel your pain, i had a couple of those early on with PTPA, but they went away when I updated a driver. I urge you to take advantage of the free support and get the problem handled.

Maybe someone here you trust could take a look at your system over something like teamviewer, and see if they see any thing in particular. I have done that a time or two with Cakewalk products and solve the persons problem in minutes. BiaB i am not as dialed into yet. But there are folks here that are. Support really is.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
It was not a msg. it was a blank window. I figured since you were addrressing my question about the spurious window in biab you were addressing that question. My mistake.

Ron

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,563
Posts734,436
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185