Hi Everyone,

I've been searching repeatedly through the RealStyles for instruments that can play in the rhythm of this song "She's Always a Woman" by Billy Joel:

http://youtu.be/zkfkJCyqCBc?t=27s (the video starts at 0:27 where the band enters)

I knew it would be somewhat tricky since not only is the beat 12/8 but each subset of 3 8th notes is usually played with a "hemiolic" 2-against-3 feel. However, since I'm playing piano myself I figured I would be able to produce that overall rhythmic feel. Still, the band does need to play in even 12/8 time.

I'm finding a lot of RealTracks that were recorded in a swing 12/8 rhythm but very little to work with in even 12/8.

What I did to search for results was to first use the string "128" and then the string "12-8".

I believe most, if not all, of the 12/8 jazz RealTracks are swing also, although I haven't scanned them thoroughly yet since the genre I'm working with here is pop/folk/rock.

Does anyone have any experience with finding instruments suitable to play in this rhythm (listening to just a few bars would be plenty, in case you aren't familiar with the song or the exact feel isn't coming back to you right away).

As I think about it more, I'm figuring the best approach is probably to do an even-time waltz and treat each beat of the original as a bar to itself. Does that make the most sense? ... Might risk bumping up against the 255-bar limit, but I could always divide the song into 2 parts and stitch together in a DAW if need be.

Thanks for any insights you can provide...

Last edited by edwardjc; 08/11/14 04:07 AM.